My new Pocket .380 Pistol. Ruger LCP Custom.

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Woods Walker, Nov 7, 2016.

1. scottman

scottman Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yeah the little kel tec p32 and p3at are the same so is the pf9 good intel

Lcp 2 for the win !!

Angelgutter, Woods Walker and alukban like this.
  2. tabasco_joe

tabasco_joe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    The magazine problem is related to a mold line in the release block. It can be removed from the frame and filed/polished out but disassembly is a pain. I've casually looked at the custom but will give it a closer look next time I'm at my LGS.

I hope it works out for you. Firearms are an area I find very hard to tolerate poor quality.

Angelgutter likes this.
  3. scottman

scottman Guide

Blog Posts:
  4. Woods Walker

Woods Walker Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    The LCP custom trigger felt much better than the regular LCP I shot some years ago. The worst little .380 trigger I tried was the S&W Bodyguard. Awful.....

Squirrelhunter likes this.
  5. Squirrelhunter

Squirrelhunter Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Neat little guns those LCPs. I've owned two in the past three years, one base & one Custom. My Custom was more reliable and, thanks to the upgraded sights, more accurate as well. Both guns were well made & finished, though I'm not a fan of the way they take down.

Within twenty yards or so, the Custom was minute-of-big-Fiji-bottle accurate with Critical Defense and Winchester Defend HP ammo and the factory 6 round mag. I bought a factory-direct 7 rounder, and didn't like it all; it had feeding issues and didn't add any real extra 'pinky surface' to my grip. I added a Hogue Handall, which markedly improved my grip on the gun & helped mitigate the surprisingly snappy recoil impulse - I have small hands and it didn't impede handling for me....highly recommended add on, much better than the Pachmayr 'grip sleeve' IMO.

Both LCPs had very good triggers for this gun type. I think the red Custom unit is a bit tacky, but it does give one's trigger finger a bit more leverage & feels shorter and crisper when dry-firing; in actual shooting, I found it no better in any meaningful way than my base LCP's bang switch & wouldn't recommend it as a stand alone selling point. My normal LCP's trigger was just as light & smooth, though perhaps not as crisp (again I only noticed when dry-firing) - it was far superior to the trigger I tried on an early production LCP, which was much longer & heavier. The sights make the Custom IMO, and are certainly worth the upgrade. The front would glow brightly when lit by a flashlight thought it only stayed 'bright' for a few hours. On my gun they matched up well and seemed to shoot to point of aim.
    Worth noting that my Custom fit in all the same holsters I tried that were made for the normal LCP.

They seem to have made a number of improvements with the new LCP II, but I don't care for how it looks or the fact that it doesn't have higher visibility sights.

I got a chance to shoot the S&W .380 Bodyguard that my buddy's girlfriend carries. The trigger was indeed lackluster (about like that early LCP I tried) but it shot better than my base LCP & works just fine. There is an aftermarket trigger option out there (Tandemkross?) for these when last I knew. Honestly, I think it is a much better value than the LCP since it comes with two mags, last shot hold open, useable sights superor to those on a standard LCP, a safety lever & laser option, and re-strike capability. Now that LCP prices have come down substantially, that value thing has changed some (I paid $320 and $325 for my two guns), but the S&W still offers far more feature content...

Sad to hear if they have in fact stopped Custom production - they are much cheaper now than when I bought mine, as are all LCPs it seems.

I sold my LCPs as I rarely carried them - for now I have the Hi Point to replace them as it is cheaper (and easier) to shoot & offers more performance capabilities. Honestly, if I wanted a small pocket gun now, I might just go with a good .22 & reliable ammo from CCI or Aguila....

Kind Regards,

~ SH ~

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  6. WY_Not

WY_Not Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts: