My trapping experience.

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Gathering' started by Bushcraft-kelso, Dec 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Bushcraft-kelso

Bushcraft-kelso Am are Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Well I thought this would be a good ongoing thread. I'm not a trapper but I have caught some stuff before. I'm having to start over with all my gear.
    IMG_20181201_145157.jpg
    Half dozen conibear 110s
    IMG_20181202_101643.jpg
    7 #1s
    I have a few 1 1/2s out in the barn too. As well as some Duke DP coon traps. I'll just share my goofing around, and experiments. As well as take any advise y'all would be willing to share! Thanks brawdy!

Sosteve, Thunderwood, Oni and 19 others like this.
  2. MT_Fin

MT_Fin Axe'aholic Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Cool. Looking forward to it. I’m in the same bit, have dabbled but I’m certainly not skilled in it yet. Keep wanting to establish a little line here but access is tough. Good luck!

3. racetrack

racetrack Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Boil the new ones with a bunch of oak leaves. Darken them up and get rid of the shine.

4. Bushcraft-kelso

Bushcraft-kelso Am are Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I was thinking about boiling them with black walnut hulls will that do the same thing ?

5. racetrack

racetrack Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Even better probably, just get the new off.

6. Mikewood

Mikewood Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    More better.
    Good luck!

7. Bushcraft-kelso

Blog Posts:
  8. Bushcraft-kelso

Blog Posts:
    I got my dye on this afternoon!
    IMG_20181202_131839.jpg
    I still have tons of walnuts on the ground some are still green. Anywho, I boiled them a while and would swap back and forth with another bucket I had that just had walnuts and water in it.

Sosteve, Thunderwood, xrayit and 7 others like this.
  9. jasam

jasam Scout

Blog Posts:
    110 conibears and #1s. Used them both for squirrels and mink and larger stuff. Probably the two best survival traps that here is. Small, portable and packable. Good luck ol boy

10. Bushcraft-kelso

Blog Posts:
  11. Bushcraft-kelso

Blog Posts:
    IMG_20181202_131839.jpg
    I'll break down what I did a little..
    I boiled the traps for several minutes in the walnuts.
    IMG_20181202_134603.jpg
    Then I would remove the traps and put them in a darker cold walnut dye, while the others come to a boil. I done this in part to not having a big enough pot to hold all the traps, and to make boiling the dye faster.
    IMG_20181202_133218.jpg
    The results after the first boil, they all went 3 times and are all now soaking in the dye overnight, or maybe a few days we will just see how it goes!!

Sosteve, RavenLoon, Luchtaine and 6 others like this.
  12. wvtracker14

wvtracker14 Guide Vendor Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend Hardwoodsman

Blog Posts:
    Looking good! You might try filing a night latch into the dog of one of your 1 1/2's to try, makes for consistent setting.

13. Uncle Duke 520

Uncle Duke 520 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Fur prices are all over the board, you may need to hang onto your furs until they go up.
    Minnesota Trapline Company are good folks to deal with, lots of luck and have fun!

Sosteve and Bushcraft-kelso like this.
  14. Offshore Angler

Offshore Angler Scout

Blog Posts:
    A little advise on dipping those traps, first give them a good cleaning by degreasing them with dawn dish soap, then after cleaning let them air dry, and develop a little light rust upon them. The light rust will take the dye better, old time trick of the trade on new traps. On the coil springs make sure you file the dogs smooth, and take the slack out of them by crimping the dog eye that attaches to the base frame, then adjust them upon the base frame to make sure they lay good and flat. More to it than most people realize.

Offshore Angler

Sosteve, Oni, Outdoor Dauber and 5 others like this.
  15. Bushcraft-kelso

Blog Posts:
    I wasn't super pleased with the dying outcome, I think I'll try the dawn and do like you suggested.

Sosteve likes this.
  16. Offshore Angler

Offshore Angler Scout

Blog Posts:
    If need be just take your traps to a car wash, and clean them there. New traps are always a challenge to take dye well.

Offshore Angler

17. Bushcraft-kelso

Blog Posts:
    Well.. I cought something..
    20190208_201420.jpg

18. Offshore Angler

Offshore Angler Scout

Blog Posts:
    Congrats possum master. :D Beats checking empty traps, and yes all trappers have experienced checking empty traps, those that haven't are liars.

Offshore Angler

19. Bushcraft-kelso

Blog Posts:
    Hey folks! I have been on hiatus for a bit, but I've still been at it! I have caught all kinds of stuff.. all kinds..
    I've been catching coyotes since they took to killing my goats.
    Resized_20190829_180533.jpeg
    Havent caught a pretty one yet but maybe this fall. They killed a doe in the yard 2 weeks ago and I caught this one on ground lay traps. I staked the deer down and just placed them around the carcass. This one was by both front feet.

20. Bushcraft-kelso

Blog Posts:
    I have been trapping for predator control on my property so I have been relocating everyone I catch.. to heaven.. whatever it is.

21. GKiT

GKiT Guide

Blog Posts:
    rural America but not as far out as I would like
    For any kind of trapping other than canines it’s really not an issue to use the undyed traps for a season right out of the box. This will remove the oils and they will develop a layer of rust. The dye sticks to the rust. If you feel the need to dye new traps, the above advice is good. Degrease them, leave them out to rust then dye them. You can also paint the degreased traps with spray paint without any problems.

I don’t know what the regulations are where you trap but in a lot of areas, bedding traps around an exposed carcass is illegal. Primarily because it is a method that leads to capturing birds. May not be an issue where you trap.

Not sure what you meant by just placing the traps around but if you are not already doing so, learn to dig a trap bed and solidly bed your traps under the ground and cover/blend them in.

I don’t know if maybe you got some more traps but if you are using the #1 coilspring traps for coyote, they are much too small for adult coyotes. You might hold one but it’s not a good choice. #3 is good . A #1 3/4 is a minimum in my opinion.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  22. Bushcraft-kelso

Blog Posts:
    Luckily I have a professional trapper in the family that has come out and spent a couple different weekends on the property showing me the ropes, that's been a couple months back.
    I use #3 for my coyotes and 1 1/2 for my other sets. I have started using the Duke dog proof in and around the chicken coop area. As for sets, everything but the 2 I caught that pictured yote in are in beds. There are several different sets we are using but all involve an embedded trap.

23. Bushcraft-kelso

Blog Posts:
    There are alot of pics I havent posted on here.. I'm trying to get back in the groove

Sosteve and Midwest.Bushlore like this.
  24. Woodsroamer

Woodsroamer Scout

Blog Posts:
    To speed up rusting new traps spray with vinegar after degreasing. And if walnuts or oak leaves ain’t available use staghorn sumac flowers to die.

25. Outdoor Dauber

Outdoor Dauber Roughian #3 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I always spray painted my body grip traps. Do NOT wax them, but I do recommend waxing the coilspring traps.

26. Bushcraft-kelso

Blog Posts:
    I didnt dye my coil springs just wax. So far I've just reset them over and over again I'll take a pic of my circles I have on some of them.

Sosteve likes this.
  27. GKiT

GKiT Guide

Blog Posts:
    A lot of people do that, just skip the dye all together. The Wax is more important. I do like a hot water bath/boil to clean them up after a season. I usually dye traps but more because it’s what I have always done. There are a lot of things like that in trapping. You do things because you started out doing them and they become part of your ritual even though you may not “need” to do them at all.

If a thing doesn’t cause any problems (like traps getting dug up and or flipped over) and you are successful, keep doing the thing.

Sosteve, JeffG and Bushcraft-kelso like this.
  28. CSM1970

CSM1970 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    This is a fascinating thread, can we include snares?

Sosteve, JeffG and Bushcraft-kelso like this.
  29. JAY

JAY Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm trying my hand at trapping this year, I have half a dozen 110's, and four 220's, along with a couple of live traps if I find myself near residential property. 67445521_683960702067049_3858152685156958208_n.jpg

Sosteve, Oni and Bushcraft-kelso like this.
  30. Hillbilly stalker

Hillbilly stalker Scout

Blog Posts:
    Gotta watch them bucket sets. They are illegal in several states. There's a lot of squirrel dog hunters in the Smokies, I don't know if the seasons run together or not. Be worth checking out.

Sosteve, xrayit and Bushcraft-kelso like this.
  31. Bushcraft-kelso

Blog Posts:
  32. Offshore Angler

Offshore Angler Scout

Blog Posts:
    If your going to use body grips in an area that might be prone to non target catches, lets say dogs, then the picture of above set with a 220 inside a bucket, with the bottom portion cut out to allow access is a good choice. This will reduce non target catches, but please be aware that you still need to use caution, and know the surrounding your traying to trap within, because this a cure all fix for all non targets. This method works extremely well, but I would refrain from using this method of trapping anywhere near a residential area, especially someone that lets say that as not had a lot of experience trapping. Live traps, and species specific traps like the dog proofs, or even live leg hold traps are sometimes better options, and I know that is hard for many to realize, but it is the truth. I have released countless numbers of non targets from live leg hold traps, and with no foot damage, hell I have even caught my own dog. The secret with the live leg hold traps is you better have them rigged right, and if your a responsible trapper, then you should be doing that anyway with your equipment.

Trapping has a lot more elements to it than just buying, and setting a trap to catch something. Also remember once you set a trap, then in the world of public opinion you have become a trapper, nothing in this world could be farther from the truth, but that is public perception, and you know people view perception as reality. This can create problems for trappers, because those with little, or no experience may unintentionally cause problems, and when they do lots of times its trouble for all trappers as a whole.
    I would suggest those not as experienced in trapping to seek out the help of a already experienced trapper. Your state trapping association would be one of the first places I would look, in regards to helping a new trapper find experience. Most states associations will have someone willing to help a new trapper.

Remember this, when the news article comes out that a non target has been caught near a residential area, and there is a new movement to ban trapping in your state. The article will read," Trappers catches pet near residential area", not "New Trapper", or "Unexperienced Trapper", just the title of Trapper. We, are all the same, so we are as one. This is why trappers need to know their tools, not only to be as efficient, and as human as possible, but in order to know how to size up situations, and also when its best to just say no to certain traps, or trapping altogether.

Just remember trappers are not one dimensional. most have many talents, and most are well versed in wildlife matters. Find a trapper, and lots of times you have found the most experienced outdoorsmen within the group, that is no bragging, just truth, and if you don't believe me, then do your own research. Many live close to the land, and have a wealth of knowledge that most people will never find in a book, or by viewing a video. Sometimes you just have to set down, and talk to someone face to face to completely understand, and to absorb someone's experiences in life, this is why I think it is best for everyone looking to start trapping to find a mentor. Not an easy road to travel this thing we call trapping, but then again nothing in life worth a shit is easy.

Offshore Angler

Sosteve, Oni, xrayit and 2 others like this.
  33. Bushcraft-kelso

Blog Posts:
    The only problem I have with them being dug up I'm pretty sure is armadillos, I can follow the little mini trails in the grass to a few and it's the entire area with little dig holes and maybe one or two just deep enough to expose the jaw or something

Sosteve likes this.
  34. Bushcraft-kelso

Blog Posts:
    @Offshore Angler I agree, this dude is my 2nd cousin and seemingly crazy as hell.. but he sure knows what hes doing when it comes to trapping 40 + years doing it makes a difference. He also made the comment a long time ago he didnt hit he didnt eat.

Sosteve likes this.
  35. GKiT

GKiT Guide

Blog Posts:
    very well put.

Sosteve likes this.
  36. GKiT

GKiT Guide

Blog Posts:
    You will know if you start to have contamination issues with your traps. Usually its lure or bait/food smells that get onto a trap. When you make a set with bait and or lure and it gets dug up and stirred up within the catch circle you can get those smells on a trap and not know it. Resetting that trap in the same spot is usually not an issue because everything there smells like that. If you move that trap to a new set location you may have animals smell the trap and dig it up, set it off without being caught or flip it over. Basically your trap has become an attractant and you don't want that. Raccoons are particularly good at this. Heavy rust, blood, salt or other odors can cause this but its usually lure/bait that contaminates traps. A lot of people will say its human scent but that has never been my experience at all. If it starts to happen, just boil/clean your traps and that issue should be reduced.

Some lures or bait can contain ingredients that can attract deer, rabbits and livestock. You can usually tell by the way a trap is fired and pulled all the way out to the end of the chain if a deer has set it off.

If traps are continually being messed with and there is no contamination issue, it is usually a bedding problem. If the trap moves at all and is not rock solid when an animal steps on the edge of the jaw for instance, the trap will move. This can cause the animal to investigate the movement and dig up the trap. Other than learning what makes a good location, properly bedding footholds is probably one of the hardest things to learn to do well quickly. Soil conditions where you trap can make it easy or extremely difficult but its a very important skill to learn.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  37. Bushcraft-kelso

Blog Posts:
    Ya no movement was a big thing he hammered in. I'm 98% sure its armadillo you can see the little holes they dig all over the area and just happen to hit the bed. It dont disturb the sets rigidity but exposes a white piece of toilet paper and really I'm not sure how it dont set them off. I'll take a pic of the area it's always the same 2. In the mornings you can see the little trails all over. Normally going right past my traps

Sosteve likes this.
  38. Bushcraft-kelso

Blog Posts:
    I've been packing them in with red dirt, covering with peat moss then sifting again with red dirt and removing any leftover moss.
    20190908_092601.jpg
    These 2 I have the best luck out of. Dove season started yesterday and I'm thinking has everything mixed up for a bit. There are gun shots everywhere so it may have thrown off their routine.
    20190908_092505.jpg
    These normally have something in it every day. I'm using Cravens predator bro + bait and a T.K.O lure. Probably using a little less than is suggested, but it's working for me. I would think I have caught every possum in the area but apparently there is no end in sight. I'm about to move 2 to a clearing on the other side of a holler outside a hardwood section it's almost identical to where the pictured ones are above.

Sosteve likes this.
  39. GKiT

GKiT Guide

Blog Posts:
    Opossums can be a pain. You may want to try a few sets with just urine this time of year. Either coyote or bobcat urine. Helps a little with keeping other stuff out compared to using baits and lures. Setting in more open areas away from the wooded edge helps too. Also if you catch a coyote pup, use one of its front feet in a dirt hole.

Your probably doing this but check your coyote sets from a distance or from a vehicle when possible. Only go right up to the set if you have to.

In a lot of areas, once deer season starts the coyotes are gorging on the gut piles and baited sets don’t work all that well.

I have noticed that if you are setting in a place that is in the core, frequent movement area of the coyotes you don’t always catch too many other small animals. It’s almost like they hammer them. Every area is a little different though.

If small animals are exposing and messing with your pan cover you may want to switch that up too. Small rodents will do this and they are attracted to toilet paper and those foam underall pads that some people like to use. Window screen works good as does crumpled up wax paper. With peat moss you often don’t even need a pan cover. Nothing necessarily wrong with what you are doing but you can try different things as you develop your own system.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  40. aklogcabindream

aklogcabindream Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thank you to the folks contributing to this thread. I have gotten into trapping recently. A great way to spend more time outdoors. I felt that I needed to learn what to do after I killed an animal before I set any traps. Not wanting to waist anything. And respecting the resources. Any tips on how to handle the fur would be appreciated. Maybe even some recipes. Lots of lynx eaten around here. Seems beaver meat is a favorite lure around here. Trappers tend to use everything. No waste.
    Also as I’m in the snow. Any tips on how to trap in winter snow. I found a tv show on amazon I think that followed a couple trapping and also featured other trappers. Was in Canada but can’t remember the name. Trappers inc. maybe.
    I also liked how the discussion on ethical techniques. Too many folks out there that feel trapping is unethical. They are just ignorant of the facts. Discussions like this are important.
    Great thread

Sosteve, Bushcraft-kelso and GKiT like this.
  41. GKiT

GKiT Guide

Blog Posts:
    There should be online videos on fur handling that will help. There are dvds on the subject available from trap supply companies. Also might contact your state trappers association. If you join you may have access to educational materials. Trapperman.com forums have a lot of information as well. Figure out exactly what animals you want to target then focus on gathering information that relates to trapping those animals in your geographical area. Once you have a good handle on it and have scouted to know what you have to trap you can gather supplies. You don’t want to end up buying things that aren’t appropriate.

42. aklogcabindream

aklogcabindream Tracker

Blog Posts:
    GKiT , thanks for the hands on experiences. I kind of tend to follow the advice from folks on this forum that I feel I trust. I have read many of your contributions and you have earned that respect . As someone who has done it not read about it or watched it on the internet. I do watch about as much as I can anyhow.
    Great way to spend time for me.

Sosteve, Bushcraft-kelso and GKiT like this.
  43. JAY

JAY Guide

Blog Posts:
    That particular set up I showed is illegal in TN. I will have to extend the distance from opening to trap to total of one foot to make it legal, which I did with aluminum flashing material. (not shown in Pic)

44. GKiT

GKiT Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thanks. People can be a help but the real teachers are the animals themselves. I have always said that there is no better way to learn about an animal than to try and catch it. It would be extremely helpful for you to see fur handling in person if you can find someone near you. You can figure out a lot on your own with the trapping part and handling fur too but it would be good to observe and assist with it hands on. However, don't get discouraged if you don't have those resources. A lot of people have figured it out by trial and error and just by doing it. You will make mistakes and put some holes in pelts but you will get better with every one. Trapping used to be a secret shut mouth kind of thing where nobody wanted to educate their competition. Its not that way anymore so its possible to learn very fast.

45. GKiT

GKiT Guide

Blog Posts:
    The regulations regarding those sets and the hassle of toting them and setting them up has all but eliminated them from my use. They work, no doubt but if you are specifically targeting raccoons, the dog proof traps are worlds easier to run. Additionally I can make a foothold set instead of the bucket set and pick up fox that I would have missed.

I never did this but people have reported increasing catches in those by cutting out the bottom of the bucket and riveting on hardware cloth mesh. Allows air to circulate distributing scent and the open look may help some shy ones to enter.

I like the square buckets better than the round. Another good trick is to drill two holes though the bucket at the back to fit a rebar stake (One on top and one on bottom as bucket lays on its side). This secures your trap chain and keeps the bucket stable. At the same time you can run the stake through an unopened can of sardines or other bait depending on your regulations and preference. Keeps the bait in place and minimizes rodent issues.

On a side note. That illustration is a little odd. With the slots cut in the bucket for the set springs, you don't need any stakes outside the bucket to stabilize the trap. You just put the trap in place and angle the springs up against the side of the bucket and it holds it in place. The bucket can be wedged with logs or staked to prevent it from moving/rolling.

One more thing. If you set your body grip upside down with the trigger on the bottom you will get a better hit on the raccoon, right behind the head every time. If they duck the wires with it set upright or it’s a smaller coon you will catch them further back on the body and you can get rub marks on the back from the trigger.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  46. Bushcraft-kelso

Blog Posts:
    20190914_183021.jpg
    Had caught this dude by 2 toes in a 1 1/2 yesterday. He hadn't been in it long. He had already pulled the jaws out of the holes when I got him killed.
    20190914_181253.jpg

Sosteve likes this.
  47. GKiT

GKiT Guide

Blog Posts:
    You got lucky. I would pull or replace those 1 1/2s before you cause yourself some trouble. Even in sets that you may not be targeting coyotes, you can pick up a few. Your equipment should be up to the task of holding the largest animal you want to catch.

48. backlasher

backlasher Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    There are a bunch of brands of traps. Is one better than another or should price decide what I buy?

49. GKiT

GKiT Guide

Blog Posts:
    Depends on what kind of traps and a lot of it is personal preference. For smaller animals and body grip traps, the brand is less important. If you are trying to get the most bang for your buck, spend less on traps for small animals and spend more on traps for larger more powerful animals like coyote and beaver. For the money I think Sleepy Creek and Bridger are both decent. Over time if you have used a variety of brands and types, you certainly develop a preference but a lot of things that make a person like one over another are small things. If you elaborate on what you want to catch I may be able to provide more...

50. Pacer01

Pacer01 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have never done any trapping but have always been interested in it