Need a Multi-Day Pack

Discussion in 'Backpacking' started by Watcher of the Woods, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Watcher of the Woods

Watcher of the Woods Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I had an Osprey Kestrel 38 which I overloaded to the max and never properly fit to myself. I cussed the pack for not handling 45 pounds of axes and knives and guns well, and sold it.

Now I have the HPG Umlindi. I read tons of peoples reports about it having extreme comfort, etc etc. I knew that the pack could handle enough gear for myself to take an overnight trip comfortably, but I didn't realize how much extra crap I'd have to throw on for the dogs and my wife. I had around 30 pounds in it this weekend, with the recon belt, and I was uncomfortable.

I don't need a bomb proof bushcraft pack. I need something for backpacking. 2-3 day trips with my wife and dogs.

I was originally thinking around 36-40 liters, but am also thinking getting a 50l pack may not be a bad idea so that I have room for extra dog food, clothing, food for us, etc...

What I'm looking for is:

1) Quality suspension.

2) Some organization. Having just one main area for gear really drove me nuts. I am crazy about staying organized.

3) 35-50l capacity. Looking at all options here.

4) Relatively lightweight. Thinking sub 4 1/2 lbs. I've seen some packs out there at 8lbs and thats not what I want.

What do you guys think? What would you recommend? My most important factor is comfort. I want to be able to backpack 10 miles a day for 2-3 days in the mountains with my wife and dogs and not feel like I'm dying.

2. Berner9

Berner9 Adventure Often! Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Bobsdock, blind & lost and insector like this.
  3. Primordial

Primordial MOA #40 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    No advice for models other than I'd opt for 50L. I use 45 L for multi days and wish I had a tad more room.

4. Watcher of the Woods

Blog Posts:
    I really appreciate that insight. I've been really struggling between the 36 and the 50 size.

Bobsdock and insector like this.
  5. Blackhillz

Blackhillz Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Imo Id go for something bigger than you think (the 50L over the 40L) better to have extra space than wishing you had it.

6. mjh

mjh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    10 miles a day for 2 to 3 day trips and comfort???? All my multi day packing experiences included a certain measure of discomfort, but I do know the difference between discomfort and pain, pain can cause harm if not addressed. I use various colored sacks for organization, label them if you have to. Even my old Lowe Contour 4 only had a bottom and top compartment. Side/back pouches/lid with pouches can help.

My two packs that I have access to today are over your weight limit. As I posted over on your trip post I opted for a HPG Qui-ya to replace my worn out Lowe. Will you use the pack in winter time? The UTE with belt would do fine if you don't intend winter trips. With winter in mind I'd use the Qui-ya.

Of course there are other makers out there as well.

And remember you don't have to fill the larger packs all the way full to know that your packed and ready for the trip.

7. reppans

reppans Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've become a Deuter fan for their pack comfort and would recommend a Deuter AirContact Lite 40+10 that uses an extendable collar/lid for the +10L. Meets all the requirements, incl. a zip panel to convert interior between one big tube and separate upper/lower sections. In 40L mode, the compression straps can shrink it down into the 30L's well.

8. Watcher of the Woods

Blog Posts:
    @mjh thanks for the options!

And you're totally right. I know it isn't all sunshine and rainbows, but having every step be thinking about "WHERE IS THE CAR MY BACK HURTS" really sucks lol. Just looking for something more capable and comfortable.

9. ROCK6

ROCK6 Scout

Blog Posts:
    This is the route I went. I started with the 4800 Unaweep pack, which is pretty massive (for me) and later added the Gila 3500 (roughly 35 liters) pack which I used on a no-resupply 105 mile AT hike. My total weight for that trip (planned 9 days, did it in 7.5 days) with food, fuel, and maintaining a bout 2.5 liters of water on board was 40 pounds; it carried perfectly. Ironically, it's about the same size/capacity of my more often-used ULA Circuit pack, but where volume is similar weight capacity is vastly different. Over 30 pounds my ULA is not comfortable at all. I loaded up my Seek Outside Gila 3500 to about 60 pounds and while heavy, it wasn't nearly as uncomfortable as the Circuit; additionally, SO frame/suspension systems are rated for over 100 pounds if you're truly a masochist! Having the ability to change the pack sizes with the one frame allows me to really expand my winter trips with the larger volume of the 48 liter+pack.

I hear about organization all the time, but it really comes down to load planning and priority distribution. My SO packs have the two very large side bottle pockets. I added two of their excellent waist belt pockets, and I have an assortment of "back" organizers from the base Talon, mesh Talon (standard/fixed) on the Gila model), and the Merlin Talon which offers a lot of extra storage as well as a separate day pack.

An expensive investment? Very much so. Worth every penning if you actually use them? Absolutely! Modular, to a degree, comfortable, great size choices, solid accessories, excellent weight-load capacity, extremely robust material, surprisingly lightweight (not ultralight weight, but very competitive with similar pack sizes on the market).

[​IMG]

ROCK6

10. NORKALNIMROD

NORKALNIMROD Tracker

Blog Posts:
    KUIU PRO suspension and frame combination. You have a choice of numerous pack designs and sizes, all of which are interchangeable. You won’t be disappointed.

NORKAL

11. wolffire99

wolffire99 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Osprey exos 58l. 2.5lbs. Trampoline suspension system. Not overly complicated.

12. Watcher of the Woods

Blog Posts:
    I ended up spending a few hours at the store today and went with the Kestrel 48. Seems like it'll be a great fit.

13. leghog

leghog Guide

Blog Posts:
    Move up in the Kestrel. I use an Osprey Kestrel 48.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bobsdock, blind & lost and insector like this.
  14. Pinnah

Pinnah Scout

Blog Posts:
    I like to have a midsized pack for light solo trips and a big load hauler for trips with my wife, kids and dog.

I have a bad back and have found nothing carries as well for me in the big category as an external framed pack.

I'm currently using an old Kelty with an updated harness. It carries better than top end externals I've carried from Dana, Jandd, and North Face among others.

Might be worth checking out the Kelty Trekker.

15. Erbswurst

Erbswurst Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    blind & lost, Bobsdock and insector like this.
  16. Juany118

Juany118 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I would suggest the Granite Gear Crown 2 60 or the new Blaze. The following is basically the same on both.

The main compartment is 60 liters before you add in the collar volume. Then you have a lid you can have on the pack, wear as a chest rig or leave it home. Then 2 hip pockets to side mesh pockets and one large front mesh pocket.

60 L might seem a lot but it has enough compression on the sides, front and top that you can easily cinch it down. This way a weekend pack is easily a 5 day pack without being overly minimalist.

The difference between the Crown and the blaze is weight. The Crown is ~ 2 lbs with a 35 lbs load, the Blaze weighs more but has like a 50 lbs load. Here is a shot of the Crown. The lid is hanging to the side, I was wearing it as a chest rig. 20181206_180439.jpg

17. mtwarden

mtwarden roaming the Big Sky Supporter

Blog Posts:
    from a carrying comfort standpoint with anything much over 30 lbs; the Seek Outside platform will be tough to beat (consider they are used to pack out significant loads of meat) but still in a relatively light package

if it's always under 30 lbs, a couple good options from ULA; also check out Exped's Lightning 60

ROCK6 and M.Hatfield like this.
  18. Flint_2016

Flint_2016 Rusty Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    Don't know if you could use a pack like mine.It's a High Sierra Appalachian 75(liters)Several pockets on top,in front, and both sides plus a rain/snow guard you pull over the pack.It can handle enough gear for a three to four night trip food and water wise,as well as your usual gear.
    DSCN1948.JPG
    21432989_1650593004959531_6282530309578289875_n.jpg

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    blind & lost likes this.
  19. rocketbomb

rocketbomb Guide

Blog Posts:
    Big fan of the seek outside packs, but they are spendy. I have two sizes of unaweep. For less money, the osprey aether series is nice. All osprey packs are good quality though, pick one which is comfortable and suitable for your use.

I never have had the opportunity to try a seek outside divide or gila, but they do look interesting. Just no need for a pack like that in my arsenal at this point.

20. Moe M.

Moe M. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I don't mean to be flip, but I'm going to sound like I am, most people I know can usually get by a multi day trip with a 30 LT. pack @ about 25 pounds excluding water, once you start getting over 35 pounds you're going to have a hard time finding any packs that are going to be comfortable on a long hike, the question will be more about how uncomfortable can you take it.
    And if you're going with more people than just yourself, let them carry their own weight (unless they are real young or disabled), when I had my dog he carried his own pack containing dog food, water, a sleeping mat, and a dog toy. :57: