Need a new lightweight hammock, which would you pick?

Discussion in 'Hammocks' started by K7JLJ, Jun 16, 2019.

?

Which would you choose?

1. DoubleNest® Hammock

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Warbonnet: Traveler Hammock

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. K7JLJ

K7JLJ Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Looking to put a lightweight into my GHB.

Narrowed it down to the two in the pole but open to suggestions.

I'm 6-3' and 240lb. Previous hammock was Hennesy Expedition but prefer an open top and as light as possible.

The Traveler Hammock comes in at $110.00 shipped with suspension.
    The DoubleNest® Hammock at $87.00

2. Brommeland

Brommeland Scout

Blog Posts:
    The Traveler is a much better hammock anything made by Eno. I would also recommend that you go to Dutchwaregear and take a look at Dutch's Netless hammocks - they're excellent and have less calf ridge than the Traveler. Here's a link: https://dutchwaregear.com/product-category/hammock-gear/hammocks/netless-hammocks/

The Hexon 1.6 fabric is adequate for someone your size, but I personally like a bit firmer fabric. I prefer the Hexon 2.4, but the 1.7 is a bit firmer than the 1.6 too. At 6'3" I'd recommend that you go with a wide model (and they happen to be on sale right now).

Warbonnet makes better suspensions imho (they use better webbing in my experience). This suspension will work on one of Dutch's hammock bodies and you'll have a really great set-up that is light, tough and comfortable. https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/product/complete-webbing-buckles-suspension/

ETA: I need to correct something: The 1.7 Nylon has a little more stretch than the Hexon 1.6, not less. Something in the back of my mind kept bugging me about this, so I checked with Dutchware and discovered that I had in fact gotten that backwards. 'Sorry.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    K7JLJ likes this.
  3. SQU1D

SQU1D Scout

Blog Posts:
    For being 6’3” I would stay away from ENO. They tend to be on the short side. I would suggest an 11’ hammock from Dutchware. Other vendors to take a look at are arrow head equipment, Warbonnet, and (premium) Dream Hammock. I have products from all vendors and they are top notch.

Red Wing and K7JLJ like this.
  4. Brommeland

Brommeland Scout

Blog Posts:
    I wanted to follow up with a bit more info: I have tried the following gathered end hammocks: Warbonnet Blackbird XLC, Warbonnet Traveler single layer, Warbonnet Traveler XL double layer, Dutchware Chameleon, Dutchware Half-Net, Dutchware Net-less, multiple Hennessy Hammocks, a variety of sub par cheapie hammocks and finally arrived at the conclusion that gathered end hammocks just do not work for me.

I am apparently the exception to the rule, but I just cannot get 'em to work (for me). Every now and then I try one again hoping that I'll discover the secret and get it to work. After posting earlier today, I went outside and set up my wife's Dutchware Half-Net and it was supremely comfortable for about 10 minutes. I then spent the next hour trying all manner of different positions to alleviate the pain in my knees and finally gave up. That was a couple of hours ago and my knees still ache.

The hammock that has truly worked best for me is the Warbonnet Ridgerunner. It is a bridge hammock and is a bit cramped inside (I have a large chest and shoulders), but is otherwise supremely comfortable. They are lightweight, super simple to set up and very, very consistent. If you get a double layer model you can slide a Thermarest foam pad in for insulation down to the 50's and do away with the expense of an underquilt (unless you need to use it in cold temps). I thought that I'd share this in case you have any problems similar to those I've had with gathered end hammocks. And, since you are looking for a hammock without a bug net, the netless version of the Ridgerunner is pretty affordable. Here's a link:

https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/product-category/hammocks/ridgerunner-and-add-ons/

Also be advised that Warbonnet usually runs a sale for National Hammock Day (July 22 IIRC) and also for July 4th. If you can wait a few weeks you might save some $$$. Good luck!

Paul Foreman and K7JLJ like this.
  5. K7JLJ

K7JLJ Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks guys for the good information, I'll be looking for the sales next month.

6. Big Flounder

Big Flounder Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've got an ENO Doublenest and a Warbonnet Blackbird XLC. The quality and craftsmanship of the XLC is far superior than the ENO and the same goes for my other gear from Warbonnet. You won't be disappointed with their stuff.

That being said check out Simply Light Designs too. Jared makes awesome stuff and his lead time is crazy fast. I've got a couple of his tarps and one of his Trail Lair hammocks. It's my go to hammock now.

silent chad likes this.
  7. CoolBreeze135

CoolBreeze135 Scholarly Woodsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm about 6'5'', and I use an 8.5' hammock without issue. I could stand to have it a bit longer, but I like the light weight package that I'm using.

My hammock is the Sea to Summit Ultralight Hammock. It weighs 5.4 oz (without straps, of course) and is currently $75 with suspension (or $80 for the XL size).

https://www.rei.com/product/153067/sea-to-summit-ultralight-hammock-bundle

I love mine. I didn't realize until recently that they make an XL size which is advertised for larger/taller people. If I would have known, I would have sprung for the XL size considering my height. However, after quite a few nights (around 10) of sleeping in my standard 8.5' version, I don't necessarily feel the impulse to "upgrade" to the roomier one. Comfort hasn't been an issue for me.

backlasher and K7JLJ like this.
  8. K7JLJ

K7JLJ Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I think we have a winner! Thank You!

[​IMG]

silent chad and Big Flounder like this.
  9. JAY

JAY Guide

Blog Posts:
    great thread, I'm also looking to buy a hammock, but packed down size and weight for carrying is of importance. LOL, I'm old and my pack is not of great size,

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  10. curtiseddie

curtiseddie Scout

Blog Posts:
    The only thing I use my ENO for is a seat/lounging. They are way too short, for me, to sleep in.

11. JAY

JAY Guide

Blog Posts:
    What height of a person do you think could comfortably sleep in an ENO, I'm thinking of getting a double. I'm 5 ft, 9 in Probably look into a pad or under quilt at a later time.

12. CoolBreeze135

Blog Posts:
    Since you are not the first person to mention it, I’m puzzled by this. I am taller than most and have no problem sleeping in an 8.5’ hammock, much less the typical ENO hammocks which are 9.3’. I was always perfectly comfortable in my ENO (even though it is heavy and slightly overpriced for my taste).

I must be doing something different.

13. CoolBreeze135

Blog Posts:
    I guess it just depends. See my above post. I’m 6’5” and found mine (doublenest) perfectly comfortable.

JAY likes this.
  14. snapper

snapper Guide

Blog Posts:
    I only looked quickly through the replies but I haven't seen anyone mention hammocks from BIAS (Butt In A Sling). While I don't weigh quite as much as the OP, I do tip the scales above 200 lbs. :rolleyes: Anyway, you might want to check them out as well. Their website is quite extensive and should give you all the information you'll need to make your decision. Here's the link to their home page: http://www.buttinasling.com/

That's all for now. Best of luck in selecting your hammock and until next time...be well.

snapper

15. CoolBreeze135

Blog Posts:

Actually, I know what I'm doing differently. It's gotta be because I have different standards of comfort. A lot of hammock campers I talk to try to get a perfect diagonal lay so they can be as flat as possible. To them, flat = comfortable. That definitely requires more space to work with. I've always just embraced the hammock sag and slept in a "bananana" shape (for lack of better term). We humans can bend forward at the waist/torso anyways, so I never felt that this was uncomfortable or unnatural feeling. To me, flat and comfortable are completely independent. I think it boils down to how close to 180 degrees you want/need your body to be.

backlasher and JAY like this.
  16. curtiseddie

curtiseddie Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm 5' 11". When I first started sleeping in a hammock I used an ENO and slept equivalently as on the ground. After I upgraded to a 10.5' hammock, it was a game changer. My sleep improved dramatically. I could finally get a comfortable diagonal lay. I always felt bent; like I was being formed into a banana. The Doublenest does not add any length. Also, the extra fabric on the Doublenest just ended up flapping in my face.

I, also, began my hammocking with a pad. Again, this does not allow for the proper lay as it affects the structure of the hammock. When I made the change to an under quilt, I immediately felt the difference. For a top quilt, I continued to use a sleeping bag (like a blanket) until I scrounged up the money for an actual top quilt. But, I could have continued with the sleeping bag.

YMMV. Like many things, personal preference is the most important to consider.

CoolBreeze135 and JAY like this.
  17. Paul Foreman

Paul Foreman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sellers, Alabama, in South Montgomery County
    This, again, again, again. Yes, it’s a bulkier package because of the end poles, but ridiculously light despite that. No knee aches! Side sleeping!

18. CoolBreeze135

Blog Posts:
    Your last statement hits the nail on the head. If you like to be very flat in a diagonal lay, get a longer hammock. If you don't mind to be a banana, then you can get away with a shorter, lighter weight hammock. Even banana style, I sleep all night without any tossing and turning, so I don't feel much of a need to carry the extra weight and bulk. However, a good night's sleep is one of the most important things (to me), so if it made a big difference in quality of rest, I would run and buy a longer hammock.

19. JAY

JAY Guide

Blog Posts:
    My main reasoning for going with a hammock rather then ground sleeping, is that I am more afraid of rattle snakes and copper heads, then being a bear burrito.

CoolBreeze135 likes this.
  20. curtiseddie

curtiseddie Scout

Blog Posts:
    For most, sleep quality is more important, as I assume it is for you. If the ENO works for you, roll with it. Just FYI, the ENO's are heavier than most longer hammock, because of the material they use. ENO Doublenest: 19oz. My 11' Hexon hammock: 12oz

JAY likes this.
  21. CoolBreeze135

Blog Posts:
    I don’t use an ENO (used to, though). I use a 5.4 ounce sea to summit hammock that is shorter than the ENO. Lightest hammock that I’ve ever found. If I could find one that was longer but not heavier, I’d spring for it.

And I definitely agree that sleep quality is more important than weight. I already sleep like a baby in my hammock, though.

22. curtiseddie

curtiseddie Scout

Blog Posts:
    CoolBreeze135 likes this.
  23. to Ha

to Ha Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If one is comfortable in the banana position, then go for the shortest, narrowest possible to save weight.

My knees just need flatter.