Need boots

Discussion in 'Clothing' started by SkipJunkie, Aug 11, 2019.

1. SkipJunkie

SkipJunkie Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm doing long hours , 12 minimum on concrete . I need comfortable hard wearing boots . No need for steel toe boots or shock hazard rating . Recommend me some gooduns please .

Mr. Tettnanger and M.Hatfield like this.
  2. Jerry Allen

Jerry Allen Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Any Thorogood and the Justin conductor series are great.

SkipJunkie and M.Hatfield like this.
  3. M.Hatfield

M.Hatfield Midnight Joker #42 Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I prefer Italian options. Asolo, Zamberland, and Lowa are examples of ones which have served me real well over the years.

4. roadwarrior

roadwarrior Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Tiberland with anti fatuige soles, I am in them for 10 hours every day and they are over a year old and still going strong. I am a factory carpenter.

5. J. Pierce

J. Pierce Perpetually Off Topic, Sorry. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have to wear safety toes, but I go for the lightest weight boot that I can find.
    Also on concrete I can't tolerate a heel and have no need for it.
    Soft flexible soles seem to be more comfortable, not so much for padding, but if my foot can flex I can walk normal. Super duty stiff soles make me walk like a duck instead of flexing and absorbing some of the shock.
    I never have tried on a pair of Keens that I liked before, but for about 8 month now I've been wearing KEEN Utility Men's San Jose 6" I think they make a non safety toe version too.
    They ain't magical, when I've walked 12 hours on concrete I still know it, but they are by far the best I've found so far.
    The leather is soft and flexible for a work boot too, I'm very happy with them.

[​IMG]

6. Stophel

Stophel Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have finally found something I can wear. I have tried a lot of others, and while they may be ok for a while, eventually, my feet will hang over the outside edge of the sole and that just hurts. For the past two or three months, I've been wearing the McRae hot weather army boots with the heavy Vibram sole (did I mention that they were heavy?.. they are). These boots are straight enough (not that horrible curved crap.. my feet ain't shaped that way!), and wide enough, and roomy enough for me. There's enough room height-wise that I can double up on insoles. One single insole may be enough for a hundred and twenty pound guy, not so much when you weigh twice that. These work for me, and my feet don't hurt, and they don't overhang the soles, and it's wonderful. I wear the MUCH lighter Panama sole versions out in the woods, but working on the concrete, the thick Vibram soles are great.

And they don't cost a bazillion dollars. ;)

7. Hawkcreek

Hawkcreek Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Since I still dont trust Whites to this day I still recommend Nicks. Franks would also be a great choice. All three companies are out of Spokane, Nicks stemmed from Whites and Franks stemmed from Nicks.

8. loveandall

loveandall Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for that info Hawkcreek. Those are some amazing quality boots!

9. TrailbreakerOutdoors

TrailbreakerOutdoors Tracker

Blog Posts:
    +1 on Thorogood. No break in period and hard wearing from the get go. More affordable than Redwing as well. And let's be honest, there are no BIFL boots, you will resole them, especially with the job you have.

10. ArmyMacE

ArmyMacE Husband, Father, Skills Practitioner

Blog Posts:
    What size do you wear? I have some Merrels that don’t quite fit me, and a bunch of different ones from the Army. 11W and 12

11. cbrianroll

cbrianroll Professional Tinkerer Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've had good results from these Danner bull runs...(I did not buy them from zappos..internet pick) they have a wider footbed than than the thorogood I tried, my shop had no thorogood in a wide size. Never tried any high dollar redwings. Before these I wore my la sportiva hikers...they were super light and comfortable...my favorite hiking boots.

Attached Files:

12. Trojan

Trojan Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Under Armour combat boots - I was told they feel like trainers they are so light. I bought some and now I am hooked.

13. JoeJ

JoeJ Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    No boot recommendation but a suggestion for standing/walking on concrete 12 hours a day. Get a pair of magnetic foot insoles for whatever brand boot you get. Not many people benefit from magnetic insoles but for those of us that do - it's like a miracle - no sore calves, ankles or thighs at the end of the day.