Need help on building an Eskimo Harpoon with Throwing Board (Atlatl)

Discussion in 'Primitive Tools' started by Sticks N' Stones, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Sticks N' Stones

Sticks N' Stones Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Well snapping turtle season is coming up and we're allowed to use spears so I thought an eskimo harpoon with the throwing board attachment would be perfect whether I'm on a bank, on a floating dock, or a kayak. Only thing is I don't know where to find dimensions or anything like that. I was thinking about buying a commercial harpoon that's not decorative that I could modify to accept a throwing board. But beyond this idea I really don't have clue where to begin.

It doesn't have to be an exact copy or anything. I just want something that would have a similar feel, and physics to it. So pretty much an atlatl with a REAL heavy dart.

Here's some pictures that I got some inspiration from [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Winterhorse and rsnurkle like this.
  3. peregrine2000

peregrine2000 Scout

Blog Posts:
    From working with my own atlatls I cant imagine a dart penetrating a turtle shell or it being accurate enough to hit the head. Love atlatls but havent heard of any for turtles. Check out thunder bird atlatl for some good designs.

4. CaptainAhab

CaptainAhab Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    That's freaking awesome. I don't know much about hitting turtles with my AtlAtl darts but you can hit stuff with pinpoint accuracy (i.e. The soft flesh) of you train enough.

Otherwise, why not just fish for one wish a steel wire? Lol

5. Sticks N' Stones

Sticks N' Stones Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Well yeah I was gonna do steel wire hand lining with a pointless hook for catch and release but if I wanted turtle dinner I wanted to try something different. Up where I am we can't use a bow, or gun. But we can use Spears, hooks, traps, and our hands.

6. PERRO

PERRO Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I might have an example in my inventory..?
    http://www.paleoplanet.net

inuit atlatls

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Made from " Red Wood Board "
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Bamboo Dart Shaft " 61 inches long ".

[​IMG]
    Steel Dart Head : " 11 1/2 inches long " ..Wrapped with Hemp thread & Silver Wire ( Vampires / Werewolf's )

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    rsnurkle, NattyBo, MrFixIt and 2 others like this.
  7. PERRO

PERRO Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hopefully , this is close enough ...?

8. alukban

alukban Guide

Blog Posts:
  9. werewolf won

werewolf won TANSTAAFL Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I have a couple of different throwing sticks that I use for rolling. They are not functional as throwing boards but seeing this I should add a bone peg and make them usable.

rsnurkle and MrFixIt like this.
  10. Caribou

Caribou Tracker

Blog Posts:
    You guys have some excellent examples!!

I dont have time to dig up pictures on this slow internet, but here where I live, darts and harpoons are still in common use.

I make them for my sons and our own boats.

For darts, keep most of the shaft about the size of your thumb, increase the diameter shortly before the front of the shaft.the shaft should be about finger tip to fingertip with outstreched hands.

Use a dense, heavy forshaft. Ivory , Walrus Jawbone, or the penil bone of a Walrus (Ooosik) is what folks in the Arctic used before sleeving the shaft itself with copper or steel pipe for the same effect. Ive also seen heavy woods spliced to have the front heavy.
    They have to float , so you can recover them, and if your using a detachable head, the line tied to them has them act as a drag and show where they are before they surface.
    Most shafts here are made from Black Pine that grow along our river banks, which is fairly light, some use Hickory for the shaft, and heavier woods for the forend, Walnut, for example, spliced, glued and lashed works well enough.
    For a true Harpoon, a shaft tapered from thumb sized back to a heavier, thicker front, 2/3rds being the same diameter, about the size of your wrist, and as long as you are tall.

11. Caribou

Caribou Tracker

Blog Posts:
    One correction;
    the length of a dart should be fingertip to across the chest to the shoulder in over all length....wheeeeeeew.......

The dart has to be heavy enough to hit the Seal/animal with Oomph enough to penatrate an exceedingly elastic and tough hide as welll as a layer of blubber, as well as be buoyant enough for recovery/floating.

Also, while a dart will have a nock, a harpoon would have a finger rest.

12. whtshdwwz

whtshdwwz Scout

Blog Posts:
    Caribou.....that was a great write up....thats why I enjoy this site, the folks who share knowledge and are willing to pass it along is great...thanks again.

MrFixIt likes this.
  13. Jakuka

Jakuka Scout

Blog Posts:

Thanks for chiming in, @Caribou. For being such a simple object...attempting to make a dart that is effective sounds like an incredibly difficult task to master.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    MrFixIt likes this.
  14. Caribou

Caribou Tracker

Blog Posts:
    On the humorous side of harpoons, here's some pictures of the second oldest son, Jon, telling the story of his hunt is a little dance ~~LOL!!~~
    I'll not pirate this thread, but I will say this thread inspired me to get some new "Boating" gear put together, as my oldest daughter has a nice ocean type boat, and she cold use some harpoons, darts , handled hooks and a ladder, maybe a sea chest or what ever I can hobble together ~~LOL!!~~

In mid-hobb'ling, they made off with the semi finished harpoons and put them to the test, and in a separate thread, Ill show you what they did ,.... :D

Anyways, this made me think of this thread, you can see a harpoon or two along the inner gunwale, among the Seals.
    'Seals up"
    [​IMG]
    Ready the harpoon
    [​IMG]

Thrust
    [​IMG]

Out with the float
    [​IMG]

Calafia666 and Skeptiksks like this.
  15. Medicine maker

Medicine maker Scout

Blog Posts:
    The atlatl really is timeless. Very spirit invoking pictures.