Need help/suggestions

Discussion in 'Ohio' started by Djilc, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Djilc

Djilc Tracker

Blog Posts:
    my son and I are wanting to do some serious camping this spring/summer. Only problem is we don’t know where to go. I’m not really looking for your normal campground, would rather have a hike in, set up and camp then hike out. So far all I’ve been able to find is a 40 mile loop down in Shawnee National Forest, which is WAY to far of a hike for my 11 year old. I live in Ross County halfway between Cincinnati and Columbus. Anyone know of any parks that allow hike in-hike out camping or am I just gonna have to deal with a tent site? Thanks in advance.

DavidJAFO likes this.
  2. DennisC

DennisC Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Wayne National forest is your best bet. There are 3 different sections and you can camp anywhere there plus there's some trails. All state land camping has to be on a designated site.

3. Chewie1314

Chewie1314 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    There is Zaleski State Forest, there are designated campgrounds, but they are hike in. you can find a trail map on their website.

4. hlydon

hlydon Guide

Blog Posts:
    Wayne NF for sure—way too many options.

5. Djilc

Djilc Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I looked into Wayne, liking the Wildcat Hollow loop. Hopefully my 11 year old can handle a long hike. Looks like it’ll be fun.

6. LoneWeb

LoneWeb Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've never been there, but read they have a 5m trail as well. Can always do the 5 mile loop instead of the 17, or just go as far as he enjoys and set up.
    I'd like to visit other parts of the Wayne myself sometime but I don't ever seem to have time.

7. Djilc

Djilc Tracker

Blog Posts:
    When I told a friend of mine I was moving to Ohio 6 years ago the first thing he said to me was that I had to go check out The Wayne. He loved going there when he was a kid. Looking forward to checking it out.

8. WildKirby

WildKirby Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I have hiked wildcat a couple times. Really like that place, just got back from doing a bushcraft camp for a couple of nights there as well. One of the best things about the place is the many campsites that they have along the way. I will suggest to stash water along the way as you drive to the trailhead. You will cross the trail a few times, and putting water in those areas off of the road will benefit you.