Need help with bow hunting 101

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Gathering' started by PVF1, Jul 14, 2019.

1. PVF1

PVF1 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I come from a long line of city dwellers and unfortunately did not grow up being taught how to hunt and fish by my parents. I've learned a lot about general outdoor skills here on the forum and am really grateful for the knowledge -- it's been a life-changing experience!

In a couple of years, my wife and I will be moving out of the city (Seattle) to somewhere in rural Oregon. We're not sure where yet. But in addition to spending a lot more time outdoors, I also want to start hunting my own game. I've shot plenty of guns in the past at an indoor range, so I have some familiarity with firearms. But I also have family members who have had really scary brushes with serious depression, and it just runs in the family. So I have decided for personal reasons not to own any guns in the home. It is not a political or even ideological thing; just a personal decision based on family medical history.

So that leaves bow hunting! If you had no prior experience, owned no archery gear, and were just looking to get started with bow hunting, what would you do? Any resources you would recommend? Books, YouTubers, whatever you think is good!

Thanks BCUSA :dblthumb:

2. Maligator707

Maligator707 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    John Dudley, Nockonarchery on YouTube. that should take you down a rabbit hole.

PVF1 likes this.
  3. field-expedient

field-expedient Misfit Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I would check with your local fish and game. See what the archery hunting regulations are in your area, you may also need to take a bow hunters course if you haven't had one. Then go to a local archery shop and they should be able to get you on your way.

4. longcruise

longcruise Scout

Blog Posts:
    If your state has a Bowhunters association, look it up and join. Once you are equipped, or even before you are equipped, go to some 3D shoots. Most 3D participants are also hunters. You will probably fall into the hands of folks who will help you get started.

When you go into an archery shop a brand new prospective bowhunter/archer you may get excellent guidance or you may walk out feeling like a victim!:eek: ok, I'm being overly sarcastic but don't let them talk you into every gadget and geegaw imaginable. Keep it simple.

PVF1 likes this.
  5. Dusty Tom

Dusty Tom Scout

Blog Posts:
    You say you are moving to Oregon? I just thought I'd mention that the first week of deer season down there is traditional archery only ( re-curves, longbows and the like). As for learning resources go I would like to recommend the website tradgang.com. Great guys and tons of knowledge on tradgang.com.

6. Eric Westbrook

Eric Westbrook Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    ...and tradgang can get you hooked up with people in your area. Lots of tradgangers in the pnw.

Dusty Tom and PVF1 like this.
  7. mjh

mjh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Your in the land of Glenn St. Charles-----some history to research there;;;

Local shops----work with the ones that will help you get started not the ones the will sell you the most gear and gadgets to set you back. Investigate both traditional and compounds. You have do decide what's going to work for you.
    Local Clubs----better if they are family centered with a variety of shooting styles---many clubs offer some kind of instruction---clubs will have people willing to help---clubs host 3D's and other kinds of shooting events.
    State Organizations----people there can point you the correct directions
    State Wildlife/natural resources ------classes, seasons, licences, game to be taken with a bow, areas to hunt, minimum draw weight for bow hunting

Learn proper form and ingrain this into your muscles and mind

The Push podcast I hear is interesting

Online:
    3RiversArchery
    Lancaster Archery

When I go to the woods every trip is a hunting trip. No I don't go out with hunting equipment all year round but I go out with a hunting/scouting mindset. Learn the landscape and the living and non living things that make up the natural world of your area. Even at our local archery range which is about 70 acres, I don't shoot at or even harass the wildlife I see. (Range hosts deer, turkey, big bull snakes, other wildife ) I watch, I observe, I track . Get to know the land you are hunting. That 70 acres I know where I can expect to see deer on regular basis. Saw 4 in the "right" area yesterday morning. The turkeys tend to spend more time along one of the fence areas and back in the corner. Trails are in predictable areas.

Bowhunting in my mind takes year round dedicated practice. I wouldn't call myself a good hunter by any means. While I shoot my bow year round. I don't get that may actual hunting days in the woods.

Books:
    I like Fred Asbells Stalking and Stillhunting but do not care for his shooting style books.

I learned alot from reading Finding Wounded Deer by John Trout Jr.

I'm currently reading Slivertip the life and adventure of Paul Shaver, Master Bowhunter and bowyer by Robert Windauer

I also like the work of Gene & Barry Wensl the twin duo master whitetail hunters

The works of David Peterson A man made of elk being a favorite

And many others.....

Be patient, Be persistent, Enjoy the flight of the arrow and good meat you have gotten with your own hand....

PVF1 and halo2 like this.
  8. halo2

halo2 Curmudgeon in Training Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That's great advice.

PVF1 likes this.
  9. PVF1

PVF1 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thank you everyone who replied so far - lots of good advice for me to go through. Definitely got some homework to do :dblthumb: Thanks for pointing me in the right direction to get this journey started!!

field-expedient likes this.
  10. mcblade

mcblade Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The first thing you need to do is determine which is your dominate eye. To do so stand close to a corner, point to the joint at the ceiling, close one eye. If your finger moves out of the corner close your other eye your finger should stay pointing to the joint. That is your dominate side, buy that side bow lefthand or righthand and learn to shoot wth that side. Does not matter what you do everything else with (write, eat, etc.). That eliminates so many sighting issues.
    Next when you get a bow, set a target about 5 to 10 yards away. Take a couple of arrows and strip the feathers or flights off and shoot at the bullseye. Notice how the arrow is striking the target, and adjust accordingly.
    Practice, practice , and practice some more. Shoot standing, sitting, kneeling. Try to get up high like you were in a tree stand if that is how you will be hunting. Whe you draw down on a real animal for the first time you may experience freezing up, it happens to a lot of people. Just remember aim small miss small. Good luck and Good hunting. Need any help shout out bow hunters love to help newbies.

halo2 likes this.
  11. mountainman11b

mountainman11b Supporter Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Wired to hunt podcast
    The hunting public YouTube and podcast

Are good starters for anytime accessible content
    Also pay attention to the other podcasters and you tubers they mention and check them out as well.

You’ll have to cherry pick the videos/episodes to gather what knowledge you’re looking for but they have some pretty valuable information.

Bitterroot Native likes this.
  12. halo2

halo2 Curmudgeon in Training Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I also realized if you're going to hunt your own food, you may want to research field dressing and butchering the type of game you want to hunt.

13. Duncsquatch

Duncsquatch Heed the call. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    A pretty good at traditional archery shop is out in the middle of nowhere Oregon. Has a pretty good selection of used bows at decent prices. By the town of Dufur, called Raptor Archery.