Need Ideas for Bow Saw Sheath

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by Ol' Dave, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Ol' Dave

Ol' Dave Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I've started carrying a bow saw with me more during trips afield and think it would also be a good tool to keep one stored with a few other pieces of gear in my truck for emergencies. I don't like the little plastic saw blade protector that it came with and realize it's probably only a matter of time before it either brakes or gets lost.

I'd like to see what others are using with their equipment to get some ideas for making one. Pics of leather ones would be a plus.

Here are a couple of pics from a recent overnighter where one of my main goals was to brush up on my axe and saw practice. Would really like to have something more substantial to protect the blade and me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for lookin'!

2. Skab

Skab Staff Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Vendor Lifetime Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    A piece of garden hose with a slit cut in it is what I use.

3. Sargent

Sargent BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Heated and pressed PVC might work too.

4. VaughnT

VaughnT Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Buy a better saw that's designed to be dismantled and carried. Then you can put the whole thing in a variety of carriers without worry.

5. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    That rednecky area between Baltimore and Philly.
    I took a piece of 3/4" something, probably pine, about 1.5" thick and 2' long, ran it over my table saw and kerfed out 1/8" from the middle of the 3/4" side, about 1/2" deep, and then used some tie wire to hold it onto the saw blade (small nail toward each end to hold one end of the wire, then just wrapped it). Worked ok enough to be in my trunk and in my canoe. I made a similar guard and mounted it permanently on my ATV's front box, so the saw is always quickly accessible.

6. Ahnkochee

Ahnkochee Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    For my Japanese saw I used a length of PVC pipe and cut through it on one side to fit the blade. I secure it using velcro straps. I think something similar can be done for you.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7. Thump

Thump Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I love carrying a bow saw too. I use the garden hose idea for my saws.

8. wingnuts

wingnuts Hunter/Gatherer Provider/Protector Supporter

Blog Posts:
    No pics but I've used the "clip or binding edge" of office presentation foldersthey pretty much stay on without any help but a small velcro strap (as mentioned) would be a good idea! The plastic edging from cheap poster frames is the same kind of thing and is longer so only a single piece is required.

9. JohnC_99

JohnC_99 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Cut a garden hose to size then cut it open. It will work great but will not look pretty.

10. VaughnT

VaughnT Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Use a piece of pvc pipe split down the side, then take a heat gun to it so it softens..... flatten it out..... attach to the blade with leather straps.

If you use a fire to soften the pvc, let it "singe" a bit and discolor. This will make it look like ivory or old antler. Then you need to scrimshaw it to add some mojo. All the other woodsmen will be jealous!

11. Ol' Dave

Ol' Dave Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I really like this idea, it's starting to get very creative. Any pics of something maybe you've done like this before?