Need more packable tent

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by chansta, Aug 10, 2019.

1. chansta

chansta keeper of the flame Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I’m sure I have a very similar posted this sometime recently but I can’t find it so please forgive me
    So I currently have an MSR 2 person tent. I need something that packs down smaller. The poles are just ridiculous.

Budget under 250
    Freestanding preferred
    2 person
    Use: backpacking or car / canoe camping
    Weight 3 to 5 lbs

Plenty of mesh and a good fly
    Packable
    Vestibule

2. oldpinecricker

oldpinecricker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    What do you mean the poles are ridiculous?

Bobsdock, Winterhorse and NevadaBlue like this.
  3. chansta

Blog Posts:
    They take up a ton of space and don’t fold up very well.

Bobsdock, Winterhorse and NevadaBlue like this.
  4. Moondog55

Moondog55 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Most people lash them to the outside of the pack, even if they have to make a special sack to do so, all hubbed pole tents have this issue, most of us use the outside stash solution.

5. oldpinecricker

oldpinecricker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    What tent do you have? MSR?

The Hubba Hubba is an really great tent. I've got the Hubba single man and it's very good.

Noddy, Bobsdock, Winterhorse and 2 others like this.
  6. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    That rednecky area between Baltimore and Philly.
    @chansta,

I'm assuming you want a tent for reasons... but a lighter, roomier option might be a tarp and bug bivy. Can't help you with tents, since I don't have one (going on 15 years), but there's a company called Bear Paw that makes mesh tents with floors for under a hammock.

http://bearpawwd.com/

Might be worth looking at.

7. LostViking

LostViking Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  8. leghog

leghog Guide

Blog Posts:
    If you aren't splitting the tent between two packers' packs, I suggest you go with a tarp.

Paul Caruso likes this.
  9. WhisperInThePine

WhisperInThePine Wubba lubba dub dub Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Tarptent is great. Mine packs down to the size of my Buhcraft Outfitters tarp.

I second just getting a tarp in conjunction with a bug net, if the latter is required. I use a tyvek ground sheet if sleeping with an air mattress. I only use a tent if camping with my fiance. As it is, the tyvek ground sheep, tarp, stakes and cordage all together weigh less than two pounds. I use my hiking poles as props, or tie between two trees.

Noddy and Bobsdock like this.
  10. xrayit

xrayit Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I love my two Tarptents, one is an older two person model that is no longer made but easily found on used equipment forums under $150.0. My second is a full blown Scarp 2 that can handle medium to light snow loads with no issues. Bought the mesh liner and solid liner. Scarp is not the lightest tent Tarptent makes but when sharing the load with a second person the Scarp makes a fine shelter. I have the MSR Hubba Hubba that is a nice tent with a fair amount of room for the overall size, pretty happy with the overall performance. BA makes some really well regarded tents that are quite packable. The Kelty TN 3 is also a nice packable light weight for its size tent that I like and use a few times a year. The TN 3 fits into a nice cube storage bag and was designed to be used with the Kelty pack system that puts your essentials Pack, Shelter and Sleeping bag into the 5 pound range to give you a good starting base weight of approximately 15 pounds.

Noddy and Bobsdock like this.
  11. hlydon

hlydon Guide

Blog Posts:
    You have great options at $250.

I bought the one person version of this tent: Hitorhike 20D Nylon Backpacking Tent Two Person Waterproof Family Hiking Tent 4 Se... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FQFPTX1/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_i_treuDbYGMNZJP

It is great. I know it isn’t a name brand, but I’ll argue it is worth buying particularly at $80. If you have Prime, then no real harm in buying and checking it out. You can send it back for a full refund if you don’t like it.

I have used mine in two storms and steady rain. It has held up—no leaks. Also, although I tend to buy equipment in colors that blend in to the environment, I’ve found this light gray tent to be ideal. It diffuses some light but keeps everything looking natural. I don’t like staring at orange, blue, etc. the entire time I’m in the tent.

Bobsdock likes this.
  12. chansta

Blog Posts:
    When things are really buggy and I am worried about Ticks I am not going to be camping under a tarp.
    Tarps are for winter time in my book. I’m not looking for a tarp tent because they require trekking poles if I’m not mistaken

Bobsdock and NevadaBlue like this.
  13. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    That rednecky area between Baltimore and Philly.
    ok... I just moved up here to MD from 16 years in LA... tick central. I hear ya... Summer's for hammocks, winter's for tarps. but i think you really need to at least click on this and see what i'm talking about here...
    https://bearpawwd.com/net_tents/walled_net_tent.php

it goes under the tarp... 16oz for a 2 man net with a floor, plus 25oz for a 10x10 BCUSA tarp puts you at 41oz, or just over 2.5lbs... I'm not sure you can beat that with a long stick.

14. chansta

Blog Posts:
    It’s intriguing... by the time you get non silnylon for the floor it’s as much as a tent...

Bobsdock, Seeker and NevadaBlue like this.
  15. leghog

leghog Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've sleep under a tarp or poncho all over and in all terrains and in all seasons. Probably a 100:1 ration in tarp:tent. It's all what you are comfortable with, I suppose.

Bobsdock, LostViking and NevadaBlue like this.
  16. chansta

Blog Posts:
    It’s fine except sometimes friends go to designated sites and a tent is all that works.

17. Scotchmon

Scotchmon Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I too have the Hubba Hubba and never thought of the poles as a problem to pack. Sure they take some room but I’ll live with that for the comfort and shelter the tent provides.
    I’ll admit that I’m not too crazy about the stuff sack but it is big enough to fit the footprint, too. All in all, it’s a winner IMHO.

Noddy, Bobsdock and NevadaBlue like this.
  18. XMP

XMP Mountain Man Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Take a look at the Eureka Suma 2 or for more room the 3 with traditional two crossed poles design.

19. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    When I was backpacking long ago, I carried something similar to that one. Loved it.

Bobsdock and XMP like this.
  20. chansta

Blog Posts:
    We may have a winner...

21. leghog

leghog Guide

Blog Posts:
    The 2 is nearly 4 lbs.

NevadaBlue and Bobsdock like this.
  22. chansta

Blog Posts:
    That’s fine. I read some reviews that the poles break.

23. XMP

XMP Mountain Man Supporter

Blog Posts:
    His specs were 3-5 lbs. Lose the bag and swap in some Ti pegs instead of the aluminum fatties and your in the low end of his range. Not bad for $139.

Like the saying goes: light, cheap, durable; pick two.

24. chansta

Blog Posts:
    Yep. I’d go for more weight and weather resistance. Light tents are too fragile for me

NevadaBlue, Bobsdock and XMP like this.
  25. Crusher0032

Crusher0032 Appalachian Arthfael LB-42 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    beacon, NevadaBlue and Bobsdock like this.
  26. Bobsdock

Bobsdock So long, and thanks for all the fish Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Given your budget 250 dollars.
    And your list of what you want out of a tent. I would suggest the,
    2019 REI half dome 2 plus
    Lot of bang for your buck and checks all the boxes in your OP. However it does have the hubbed pole assembly.

Moondog55 and NevadaBlue like this.
  27. leghog

leghog Guide

Blog Posts:
    No way am I toting 4 more pounds on my back for a tent.

beacon likes this.
  28. Moondog55

Moondog55 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I have to hazard a guess that you only tent in good weather and not in the mountains then, because while not ultra lite a couple of kilos of tent isn't really all that much compared to 30 years ago weights

XMP likes this.
  29. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Here in the US for through hikers hiking through the mountains for 3-6 months the most popular tents are between 14-19.4 oz today. That's a far cry from a couple of kilos design and materials have come a long way. I'm not going back to canvas just because that's what they used to use 100 years ago.

Ironically the lighter materials tend to be more weather resistant, and design tends to have more to do with a tents ability to stand up to wind than weight ever could.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    leghog likes this.
  30. leghog

leghog Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've lived under a tarp in the mountains of Papua New Guinea and Laos and eastern woodlands, in the jungles of Vietnam, in New Brunswick Canada in late fall, in swamps, in desert, and other points/terrain all over in all kinds of weather. I'll tote a half kilo before toting a couple of kilos every time I can.

You can get a LANSHAN 3F UL Ultralight 1P tent for $72. It only weighs 740 grams/26 oz. It received great user reviews on TrailSpace.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    MJGEGB likes this.
  31. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Bushmaster

Blog Posts:

I've had the Lanshan for a while, it's a great tent. Actual weight in the stuff sack with everything but stakes is 28.3 oz

Its a great cheap, relatively light, compact, stable, and weather proof. Its not free standing however which is why I didn't suggest it here.

I'm guessing that the OP is setting up on tent pads. Something like the NatureHike Cloud UP 3 would probably fit their needs better. Its relatively light, compact, weather proof, and uses a hubbed poll system that's going to be about as compact as your going to get generally speaking.

longcruise likes this.
  32. aaronu

aaronu Armchair Bushcrafter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
  33. Moondog55

Moondog55 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I was in Nuigini for a while, in Mt Hagen. Wild place; loved it even if it was scary as hell sometimes
    Used a tarp there myself until we got above the tree line, then it was back to the mountain tunnel tents.

34. longcruise

longcruise Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've been packing in and living at 11,600' in three and four day stints for a few weeks now. Last round a companion had the Naturehike Cloud Up 3P and it was impressive. I ordered one to replace my cramped one person.

35. Snake Doc 415

Snake Doc 415 Gradatim Ferociter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Kelty Salida 2? Might wanna check it out.

-Snake Doc 415

36. 41magfan

41magfan Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm curious, which MSR tent do you have?

There's only so many ways to manipulate the dimensions of the uncoupled poles regardless of who makes the tent. If you make the overall length shorter, then you increase the girth by the additional pole sections required.

If you look at the specs, most decent tents in the same price range (and of the same size) don't vary more than an inch or so in most cases.

37. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    The only way to reduce the space taken up by the poles is through design. For the size of the tent the design on the NatureHike Cloud UP three has a single pole serving the same purpose as three poles on a more traditional dome tent with a brow pole like my Kelty Trail ridge 3.

You gain much more ground with the floor and fly material as far as space. Silnylon or Silpoly will pack smaller than PU coated polyester or nylon or Dyneema composite fabrics DCF previously known as Cuben Fiber. H

you pack the tent can make a big difference as well. Separating the poles and tent can help pack it more efficiently. Also ditching the stuff sack all together and folding the tent body and fly so it packs flat can make a difference in the amount of pack volume taken up.

Personally I prefer to use trekking poles when camping, and for scout camping or any other glamping trips I use my bigger heavier more traditional tents with their dedicated poles. Best of both worlds for me.

38. aaronu

aaronu Armchair Bushcrafter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    +1 on: what tent do you have?

I looked up "MSR two person tent" and saw the Elixir and Hubba NX have a packed size of 51cm so likely the poles collapse down to 20" or slightly less. Hubba Hubba is shorter and packs down to 46cm so probably 18" collapsed poles. If you have a Hubba Hubba then suck it up, buttercup; that's a darn nice tent, worth a little compromisin'. :) (That's true IMO for the other MSR tents or, for that matter, most anything MSR put their name on)

By contrast the Kelty Salida is a good tent with a packed size 15" long. I just did an overnighter with the BIL and he has a Salida 2. He packs the poles on the outside and they fit great in a mesh pocket, lashed to the side of his pack (Osprey 65l). They would fit fine on my REI 40l pack carried the same way, definitely short enough and out of the way. My son has a Kelty Grand Mesa which is also 15" packed length. Both are really compact 2 person tents, the key difference being the Salida has a single SIDE door while the Grand Mesa has a single END door. Salida feels a bit more roomy inside. My son no longer carries the Grand Mesa unless he's going solo. He has one of the REI Camp Dome tents which is roomier but also heavier and with a 25" packed length.

I would recommend either of the Kelty tents, except these are very light construction and you want a more durable design. In that case maybe look at the Kelty Gunnison 2. That one is right at 5 lbs, has two doors, and packed length 16".