Need some new cook kit ideas.

Discussion in 'Cooking & Water Purification' started by notajerryskid, Aug 9, 2019.

1. notajerryskid

notajerryskid Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Been backpacking for several years now and family is getting tired of eating alot if the same things. We started making soups and other things. I quickly learned that my snowpeak kit is way to small. Been looking at the toaks kits. What do you guys use and what did you combine to make your kits more versatile?
    I have a family of 4. My kids are 4 and 8. Wanting to keep the weight down, we do backpacking, and base camping.

Bobsdock and freebirdfb like this.
  2. xrayit

xrayit Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    For family base camping and actual food cooking I use one of the Fry Bake Expedition pans with a lid. Back Packing with family I use the Alpine full bake set. Warming water for dehydrated meals with family I use a Toaks TI 1600 with the lid.

Keep in mind Ti is hard to actually cook with, for most backpacking stoves you will need a flame defuser. Cooking with Ti is all about heat control, set your heat / flame where you think it should be then cut that in half and watch the pot making even lower adjustments as needed.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  3. Oldyeller

Oldyeller Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have one of these to use for 2-4 people, it's a knock off of a $55 GSI set.

https://www.amazon.com/Ozark-Trail-...sprefix=Ozark+trails+cook,sporting,237&sr=1-2

Ive cooked tacos and stuff just using that kit, but I found the matching frying pan in the clearance section at walmart for a buck.Its a little heavy to carry by myself but it's not bad when I can let my cousin haul the pan and utensils.

Right now I'm piecing together a slightly smaller kit that's easier to carry myself, a Stanley cook set with nesting cups.I bought Maxpeditions 12" water bottle pouch to store it in, the Ozark Trails set won't fit in the water bottle pouch, but I've been thinking about using the plastic OT bowls like Tupperware in my backpack.The bowls are insulated and have lids so the food will stay warm in them for a few minutes while I cook something else, they are alot nicer then the little plastic Stanley cups.Its nice having a few sets so you have options.