Need suggestions for UL Bug Shelter to use with my 10x10 tarp

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by southernbayou, Mar 28, 2014.

1. southernbayou

southernbayou Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I'm looking to ditch my heavy tent, and go with a more lightweight shelter system. Living in Florida, I can't do without a fully enclosed bug shelter (with bathtub floor). The Hyperlite Mountain Gear ECHO II Insert (link below) looks ideal, but boy is it pricey. Does anyone know of a less expensive alternative? I play on setting my tarp up in a standard a-frame config. If I had the ECHO II, I would probably run the tarp over my ridge line, and run the ridge line through the top loops on the bug shelter instead of using the trekking poles like shown in the picture. I don't know, just brainstorming at this point, and looking for solutions that won't break the bank. Thanks in advance for the help.

http://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/hiking-climbing-shelters/inserts/echo-ii-tarp.html

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  2. RangerJoe

RangerJoe Bushwhacker Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
  3. southernbayou

Blog Posts:
    Perfect! At that weight, I may even go with their Minimalist 2 Extended version, just to have some extra room.

Do you think the 30D floor will suffice when used with a polycryo ground sheet, or do you think 70D is the way to go?

Thanks. this is exactly what i was looking for.

4. Chris367

Chris367 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I picked up an integral designs sildhelter bug liner from moontrail to use with my tarp. I went with that one cause the price wasn't to bad.

5. southernbayou

Blog Posts:
    Another good option, and at a great price. Thanks!

6. RangerJoe

RangerJoe Bushwhacker Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Personally, I think the floor will be more than sufficient, especially if you are using a ground sheet.

7. southernbayou

Blog Posts:
    I was thinking the same thing.

8. Skotelawe

Skotelawe Guide

Blog Posts:
    What I currently own (not my pics):

Yama Mountain Gear Bug Shelter 1.0 $115, 10oz - slightly higher bathtub than the Bearpaw and has higher end walls standard (may be a positive or negative depending on your preference). Also a slightly larger 1.25 & a two person.

[​IMG]

Borah Gear Bug Bivy $65, 6oz - Lower profile than a full bug tent but lighter (and cheaper)

[​IMG]

Gossamer Gear Bug Canopy $35, 2.5oz - Only covers your head & upper torso but is extremely light & easy to use.

[​IMG]

I use the Borah Gear most of the time.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
    UAHiker likes this.
  9. southernbayou

Blog Posts:
    Oh wow, that Yama 1.25 just made it to the top of my list. I was pretty set on the Bearpaw Minimalist 2, but at half the weight (i was going to add the silnylon front and back which adds 3-4oz), that Yama 1.25 is extremely attractive. The only thing i don't like is the 6-8 week lead time! And if I'm reading it correctly, after April 1st, they're no longer selling shelters.

edit: I just realized that the Borah is a fully enclosed deal. That may actually work! I do use the SOL Escape Bivy already, so even if that netting were to touch my legs, I'm still protected from the mosquitos (they're always out down here). Looks like they do custom work too, if I wanted to go a little bigger than the standard size. I really like that price. Another concern of mine is that the ground is often wet here, but I do use a polycryo ground sheet. That along with my SOL Escape Bivy should keep me dry, you think?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  10. Swampyankee

Swampyankee Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'm in the same boat. Campmor has a ton of bug shelters of various sizes and designs. I'll be watching this thread to see what people use.

11. southernbayou

Blog Posts:
    Hey, nice username ; )

The more I look at the Borah, the more I'm considering going that way. I mean, if I'm really looking to go light, that option is seeming pretty logical. The price is nice too.

12. t.darrah

t.darrah Guide

Blog Posts:
    I like the MLD ( Mountain Laurel Designs) Bug Bivy. Light, well made and it works.

13. southernbayou

Blog Posts:
    Another great option!

14. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    When I lived in TN, I used a Campmor bugnet under my tarp. Here in LA, I have to get up off the ground (biting ants, other biting insects, scorpions, snakes, and other critters) and use a hammock with a self-contained net.

15. southernbayou

Blog Posts:
    Found another one for consideration. Six Moons Designs Serenity NetTent. 8oz, with an impressive 42" internal height.

[​IMG]

16. southernbayou

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, similar situation here in Florida, which is why I like my 2 person tent. Allows me to feel comfortable knowing that my body won't be pressed against the mesh side wall, available for all sorts of critters to bite. In fact, thanks for reminding me of that. It shifts my focus back to the Bearpaw Minimalist 2 or Yama 1.25 (or 2). In all reality, I'm not a UL hiker and probably won't ever be with all the tools I like to carry. Anything under 20oz should be sufficient for me, especially compared to my 84oz tent.

17. cdenniston

cdenniston Tracker

Blog Posts:
    A lot of good suggestions already. I am going to +1 the borah bug bivy, I have one and love it. The borah bug bivy is the cheapest, lightest, and most versatile. The larger bug shelters only work well with particular tarp pitches but the borah bivy is compatible with all pitches and easy to use under the stars. The bivy won't provide as much room but I find that I only get in the bivy when I am going to bed so I don't find that a problem.

There are a tie-outs at the head and foot of the bivy so you can pull the netting up off of you if you prefer. I usually only tie up the head end to take the netting off my face, my sleeping bag covers my lower half so it doesn't matter if the netting rests on me.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
    UAHiker likes this.
  18. KS49

KS49 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I just recieved the net 1.5 and a 10 x 10 tarp from these guys. Tomorrow, I was hoping to get it out and practice a few set-ups. I got the net tent with a side opening and an end opening, I figure it can do a side open set-up for good weather or a battened down, end open setup for bad weather. Stay tuned for a post about this in the near future.

ps - their CS is great and it shipped really quick with no issues.

ken

19. southernbayou

Blog Posts:
  20. southernbayou

Blog Posts:
    Nice! I'm looking forward to that post.

21. Woods Walker

Woods Walker Rattlesnake Charmer. Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Here are some I own.

The Mantis bug bivy is more for my ER dayhiking kit but do pack it when going UL however not sure if bug will be an issue.

[​IMG]

MLD Bug bivy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OR Double bug bivy. Carbon fiber poles for support but not free standing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Katdaddy

Katdaddy Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have a Catoma IBNS.. Maybe not as light as what you are looking for, but I have one and love it. Free standing, good floor and netting. Sorry, I have yet to master posting pics or links.

23. Skotelawe

Skotelawe Guide

Blog Posts:
    I hadn't noticed that. It sounds like Gen is just putting things on hold rather than stopping production altogether.

That being said be sure to check with any of the cottage manufacturers regarding delivery times. Most of these companies consist of only a few people (or even a single individual) and they're making everything themselves. Waiting times of up to a few months are not uncommon.

As long as you choose your sites carefully and your ground sheet is large enough you'll be fine. Polycro is pretty tough stuff. I use a double layer and it takes quite a bit to poke through it.

Oware has a couple of similar products, the Bivysack Hot Weather & Bug Bivy (Healy Hammock). If ground water is your biggest worry the 'Healy Hammock' was developed in the Everglades and has tub floor.

If you're going the bivy route why not just get a standard UL bivy & use it alone rather than carrying two pieces of gear? (Oware also makes lightweight bivies)

In addition to Six Moon Designs; ZPacks & OookWorks make similar half pyramid inner nests. If you do decide to get something that style be careful to set up your tarp and measure everything to make sure it'll fit properly.

One thing I would avoid is cuben bottoms (optional at MLD & ZPacks). They save weight but cost more and IME cuben has poor abrasion resistance.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  24. southernbayou

Blog Posts:
    That Healy "Hammock" looks awesome. Last night I pulled the trigger on the Integral Designs SilShelter Bug Liner from Moontrail @ $59 (on sale from $120). Comparing the options, I felt that one gave me the best value in terms of space and weight for the money. There were two in stock last night, so I decided to grab one while I could. Good thing, because the last one must have sold this morning; they're out of stock. I do realize that this bug tent was meant to be used with the SilShelter specially-shaped tarp which is now discontinued and not available anywhere, but for the price, I had to take the risk that I could figure out how to protect it with a standard tarp.

Thank you to everyone who posted. As far as I'm concerned, you've made this thread one of the best resources on the web for comparing these types of shelters. I never expected to have so many great alternatives, and definitely never expected to get something like this for $59.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  25. Skotelawe

Skotelawe Guide

Blog Posts:
    It'll fit just fine under your 10x10 in an A-frame pitch. You'll even have plenty of room in front of it to serve as a vestibule for keeping your gear under cover. Ironically it'll also work well with a half pyramid.

My suggestion to double check measurements was only if you were planning on using one of the half pyramid nets with an A-Frame.

26. TrespassersWilliam

TrespassersWilliam Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Is there a trick to getting these folded back up? The last figure-eight twist/flip feels like the poles are about to snap.

27. Katdaddy

Katdaddy Scout

Blog Posts:
    Check YouTube. There are a couple if videos showing how to refold them. That last step does feel like you are going to break it, but so far no problems.

28. southernbayou

Blog Posts:
    Glad to hear. I figured so, but thanks for confirming. I'm excited. This will be a major weight reduction for me. Next step is to sell my BCUSA 1.9oz woodland camo 10x10 tarp (will be on the trade blanket today), and pick up a 1.1/1.3oz silnylon tarp. I'm considering having Bearpaw make a 9x9 for me, which will save me another 15oz of pack weight. Bearpaw's not the cheapest, but those internal tabs in his tarps look very useful, and I love the fact that I can have it made with dark brown material.

29. Uilleam

Uilleam Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Not sure if it was already mentioned, but I'm a huge fan of the Catoma IBNS (Improved Bug Net System). They go for around $105, but you can get one military surplus on eBay for about $50.

30. hanzo

hanzo Scout

Blog Posts:
    Wilderness Innovation Slider Bug Net

Anyone ever use the Wilderness Innovation Slider Bug Net on the ground with a tarp? Was thinking of getting one to use with my Grand Trunk Nano-7 and if it works on the ground too, then bonus. Would probably get the large. I am sure it can be set up. Was wondering about getting in and out. And possibly tearing it with body weight on top.

Was just thinking double duty would be nice.

31. PeteA

PeteA Scout

Blog Posts:
    One more option if not mentioned is the REI Bug Hut 2. I believe that is what it it called. There are 2 models one version has no bottom just net sides. The second version is slightly bigger and has a bottom moister barrier. I've used thecBug Hut 2 pretty light weight. Less then a ten. Easy, fast set up.

Something to check out as an option.

32. Delta Zulu

Delta Zulu Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
  33. Sheepdog3

Sheepdog3 Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Glad I stumbled upon this thread! I have both the MSS bivy and the USMC improved bivy. I mainly use the improved bivy for the warmer months as it breaths a bit better, but it's still hot. I've been looking for an alternative, which might just be the Bora gear bug net bivy! We do a lot of outings off of the applachain trail so less is more in that case!

34. Mannlicher

Mannlicher Guide

Blog Posts:
    during the cooler months in Florida, the bugs are not so bad. A good squirt of DEET, or a Thermacel under the tarp takes care of things for me. In the hot months, I just don't go camping. Heat, humidity, rain, bugs..................

35. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    WalMart +- $8.00@ Make it as big as you want with Gorilla tape and sissors

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  36. TerBear

TerBear Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have one of these, but be warned it's like sleeping in a see through coffin if claustrophobia is an issue.

[video=youtube;lD3cQ77Sg5U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD3cQ77Sg5U[/video]

37. Forestree

Forestree Guide Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Just tried out the Black Diamond Beta bug shelter last weekend after having seen 1moregoodguy using one. Can be set up with a ridgeline, hiking poles, or sticks (not sure the best length yet). It's roomy and keeps the bugs out, so really no complaints yet. Not ultra lightweight....but lighter than a tent and poles.

I set it up using hiking poles here and didn't use a tarp as no rain was expected

058.jpg

38. RackinRay

RackinRay Tracker

Blog Posts:
  39. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Bug protection is definitely a must for FL. No if they'd just come up with a humidity net.

40. uwharrie56

uwharrie56 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I went with Bear Paw Wilderness bug net. I got it in Feb. so have not used it yet. Went with a tarp for much the same reasons as you but summer here and the bugs I had to come up with something.

41. Foilist

Foilist Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm going to give this a try for use with a MSS Bivy and tarp.

42. UAHiker

UAHiker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    how tall are you? i'm 6' and think i'll hit my head if i sit up.....

43. UAHiker

UAHiker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    do you feel the borah is claustrophobic?

44. Skotelawe

Skotelawe Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm a side sleeper so the netting doesn't lay directly on my face.

UAHiker likes this.