Need to find a new daypack!

Discussion in 'Backpacking' started by sgtdave4321, May 29, 2018.

1. sgtdave4321

sgtdave4321 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hi I am hoping to get some good recommendations for a new daypack. I am looking for a smaller sized daypack between 18 and 25 l in size. I would like one with a water bottle pouch on each side. I want to try and keep the pack under $100. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

2. bam7765

bam7765 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Ll bean continenral rucksack. An excellent buy. Is it the last thing you'll have to buy probably not but it will do for a long time.

3. ra2bach

ra2bach Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I don't want to sound churlish but there are several threads about this, some very recently.

I would take the time to browse some of them as the information is already there and it will save you some time, and back and forth...

Winterhorse, Bobsdock and GoKartz like this.
  4. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Guide

Blog Posts:
    There's probably more threads and information in the Packs and Bags subforum.

Personally I'd take a look at the Osprey DayLite pack. My son has one and it's a great day pack. Only thing missing for my needs is lashing points for trekking pole(s). I use a Marmot Ultra Kompressor which is a good bag, but I carry about the durability of some of the mesh covered padding.

Winterhorse likes this.
  5. sgtdave4321

sgtdave4321 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    thanks!

6. Swampdog

Swampdog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Take a look at the Mountainsmith Clear Creek 18 L day pack, Amazon has them under $90; there are a few YouTube videos about them to get good information about it.

Winterhorse likes this.
  7. mcostas

mcostas Tracker

Blog Posts:
    My small camelbaks with the air flow backs have spoiled me. I suppose it wouldn't matter if I was somewhere other than the SE.

They hold enough for my various dayhiking needs. My largest is the "alpine explorer" which is not made anymore. The D ring shoulder straps make them fit comfortably.

I have other packs I use as an emergency pack, or BOB but they aren't comfortable enough for an actual dayhikes.

8. hlydon

hlydon Scout

Blog Posts:
  9. 41magfan

41magfan Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have three Day Packs, and they all work well for their intended purposes. My Maxpedition Pygmy Falcon has the best organizational features, my Mystery Ranch Street Fighter has the best harness/suspension system, and my Badlands Pursuit shares many of the features common to both packs.

The Badlands pack was just introduced in a solid, non-camo color option and mine was delivered today. I've used a camo version for a year or two now and I'm totally satisfied with it as a hunting pack so this solid color offering will get some good use outside of my hunting activities.

The only real shortcoming in the design is the bottle pockets. They're a bit too shallow for taller bottles.

http://www.badlandspacks.com/gear/packs/pursuit-camo-day-pack

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    Harper likes this.
  10. tonyg

tonyg Tracker

Blog Posts:
  11. ACrawford36

ACrawford36 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Osprey Stratos 24

12. Wasp

Wasp We are GO for Sting! Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I was on a similar search recently and wound up with the Mystery Ranch Urban Assault. It doesn't have bottle holders externally but the y-zip allows you to zip down and get at the stuff in the bottom of your pack. It's 22 liters and seems like 25+ its so roomy. Build quality is outstanding. I love it and want another or the Front. I paid $103 shipped.

20180516_181009.jpg
    myster-urban_s.jpg

The MR Front pack is essentially the same except it has a daisy chain down the front, a little molle on each side at the top and two bottle holders. It goes for about $140-190.
    [​IMG]

Mystery Ranch Scree. $140
    [​IMG]
    Heres the Scree above for $99 shipped in two colors.
    https://www.mountainsteals.com/stea...MIoOvg6P7Z2wIViobACh0sdwwxEAQYASABEgIBaPD_BwE

Midwest.Bushlore likes this.