Need "Water Shoe" recommendation.

Discussion in 'Clothing' started by Skippman, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Skippman

Skippman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'm looking for a quality pair of water shoes that can be worn in creeks and rivers but also around camp. I'm looking for something that can remain submerged for swimming in a creek or river and still be worn comfortably on dry land.

I've been looking at the Merrell's All Out Blaze Ventilators and their All Out Blaze Sieve. Anyone have experience with either of these or a recommendation for another shoe?

stinky feet and rsnurkle like this.
  2. hdlv

hdlv Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Are you looking for closed toe? I wore chacos on my AT try hike last summer and plan on doing the same for the PCT this summer.
    They were great for hiking, camp, swimming and everything in between. I hate hiking with wet feet so after the first 150 miles in mud sandles just seemed like the natural way to go.

Now if you are in a place with tons of poison ivy or don't know how to identifie it you would want to go closed.

rsnurkle and Usingmyrights like this.
  3. Skippman

Skippman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'm going to be in an environment where rocks are a common obstacle. I don't generally care for sandals to be perfectly honest and do prefer a closed toe.

rsnurkle and Usingmyrights like this.
  4. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm in the same boat, except I'll actually use mine in a boat as well. Well, a kayak. Don't want burned feet and shells/oysters can be rough.

rsnurkle likes this.
  5. jonathan creason

jonathan creason Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I haven't tried them myself, but I've heard a lot of good things about Astrals. I have a friend that does as much tiny, blue line stream fishing as anyone I've ever seen that says they're the best river/boat shoe he's ever tried.

mjh likes this.
  6. riverrunner

riverrunner Scout

Blog Posts:
    Salomon water shoes. Check places like REI for them.

7. Edgeman

Edgeman Scout

Blog Posts:
    Keen sandals are a good compromise between sandals & shoes. Love the enclosed toe box! I have friends who wear them year around...they just wear them with socks in the winter.

dhenson0 likes this.
  8. Gii shi kan dug

Gii shi kan dug Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I really like the new balance minimalist. Very light and dry quickly. and cost is about 100.00
    Like going barefoot but with protection

9. Crusher0032

Crusher0032 Scout

Blog Posts:
    https://www.amazon.com/Speedo-Mens-Hydro-Comfort-Water/dp/B01N139BYJ

I posted this same question last year, and bought the shoes in the link above. I canoe shallows a lot like having shoes on in the water when I'm in the water. The close toed sandals I tried first tended to collect gravel inside and I had to constantly dump them out which was irritating every 3 or 4 steps.

The Speedo shoes have been fantastic so far. I even wore them in place of my regular shoes on vacation to the beach and water parks last summer with only a pair of sock liners on and had no trouble with blisters, etc. They dry very quickly, and have decent support like a regular tennis shoe. I found them on the auction site for $19 shipped.

This was the water shoe thread I started last year:
    https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/boating-water-shoes.177413/#post-3027140

stinky feet likes this.
  10. Tin Man

Tin Man Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I wear Vibram Five Fingers when I am out kayaking or SUP'ing. Like actually being bear foot but with abrasion and mild sharp object protection.

11. mainewoods

mainewoods Maine Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    KEEN I've had a pair for years holds up great , toe cover. Dries quick too.

gila_dog likes this.
  12. Skippman

Skippman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    After going to the Alpine Shop, REI, Academy Sports, the Merrell outlet, and the Columbia outlet I think I've tried on just about every "water shoe" known to man. I tried on the Speedo Hydro's but didn't care for them. The Solomon's heel just felt odd to me, like it was two sizes two small and I have average feet.

I've just ordered some Merrell All Out Aero's. I didn't care for the Hymists. (Who named that shoe anyway? SERIOUSLY?)

I appreciate the input from everyone here. I have a borderline pathological hatred of sandals or shoes which resemble sandals (the Merrell Sieves for example) which really limited my choices.

rsnurkle likes this.
  13. JonM

JonM Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Save some ching & buy a pair of Converse. Been fishing in a pair of those for years.

14. gila_dog

gila_dog BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I have some Keens that I like. They've held up well, are easy to get on and off, and the water has had no effect on them. If I'm going to hike very far in them I wear some neoprene socks, like you would use in waders. That also helps to keep any sand that gets in them from chewing up my feet. I got them a bit big so the neoprene socks will fit in them.

15. Kona9

Kona9 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Keens. I have two pairs. The older pair is at least 6 years old and still very comfortable and still has life left. Mind you, I live in Buffalo, NY so my "sandal" season is a little shorter than some others. But once I get them out of the closet in the spring they seem to be my mainstays through September. I can wear them all day long and not even notice them.