New Compass

Discussion in 'Other Tools' started by Lazarusaurus, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Lazarusaurus

Lazarusaurus Idot Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Looks amazingly like the one I lost in the fire. Slowly but surely getting some of my gear replaced.

20190126_184911.jpg

2. x39

x39 Hyperborean Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Nice piece of gear, I hope you get lots of enjoyment from using it.

3. Barry J

Barry J Guide

Blog Posts:
    That's a nice compass! Very practicle.

4. Theshatz

Theshatz Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Nice compass what brand is it and where did you get it? I'm in the market for one

5. leghog

leghog Scout

Blog Posts:
    His compass is a Suunto MC2. You can find them everywhere.

6. Lazarusaurus

Blog Posts:
    The buschraft store here sells the global version for a good price. Sportsmans warehouse carries them if you don't like online shopping.

NevadaBlue and victoratsea like this.
  7. BradGad

BradGad Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Nice. It gets my vote for best over-all/all-around orienteering and backcountry compass available today.

Here in my heavy woods though, I really like my simple and inexpensive Suunto A30. Plenty accurate, comfortable to use and carry.

8. Yknpdlr

Yknpdlr Scout

Blog Posts:
    Among my critera for a "good" compass to navigate by, my vote is for the Suunto M-3. Get the D or NH model. I like the longish baseplate for use on a map. Lightweight and sturdy. The bezel turns easily and the base has useful scales. No need for the higher expense of the G (global) model if you do not plan to travel south of the equator. I have more than a dozen of these that I use for myself and for a training course I teach. I also have a couple of the MC-2 compasses ( as shown in the photo), but The gain in accuracy with the mirror is minimal if any (best use is for emergency signaling or shaving). Either model has an optional declination adjustment, which I occasionally use for SAR. The Suunto A30 or the A10 are very fine as basic inexpensive compasses, but do not have the declination adjustment. None of these is any more accurate than the other or than the care taken by a practiced user.

I used to like the Silva brand, but those now available in the USA are all made in China and are of inferior quality to the originals we could get years ago from Sweden.

I don't like any of the consumer grade Brunton model compasses for various reasons, although they continue to make the highest quality survey equipment.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  9. Brian Dennis

Brian Dennis Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    You are absolutely right about the Silva. I have two Rangers (adjustable declination - I'm a surveyor) and the newest one is 20 years old.

Lazarusaurus, Yknpdlr and NevadaBlue like this.
  10. x39

x39 Hyperborean Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @Yknpdlr , agreed on all counts. If you look close at my avatar you can see an M-3 on the upper left shoulder strap of my pack. Hands down my favorite of the many I own.

Lazarusaurus, Yknpdlr and Swampdog like this.
  11. CSM1970

CSM1970 Guide

Blog Posts:
    As fast as the magnetic poles are moving, you might look for one with ball bearings in the bezel.

12. Metaldog

Metaldog Just chasing my tail... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Good to hear! :dblthumb:

Replacing things is a process. We had a house fire in 2011 & lost most of what we owned in that fire. I still have items come to mind that I may never replace. Some items aren't needed, but I miss not having them. Believe it or not, the item I miss not having the most is an original Fairbairn-Sykes commando dagger I had. And certain family photos. How wierd, huh?

Alas, the material things won't go with me when I move on. Family is what matters most. The tragedy definitely brought us all closer. And that I am forever grateful for. We find ourselves enjoying the simple things more. Those little moments that give living a deeper meaning. :)

Lazarusaurus, SmilinJoe and x39 like this.
  13. Yknpdlr

Yknpdlr Scout

Blog Posts:
    My original Silva Ranger is around 40 years old. I self-taught myself how to navigate far off trail in the Adirondacks and now teach those techniques to SAR and to law enforcement. When that compass, which I considered my old friend and partner in the woods, developed a bubble many years later, I decided to buy a new one, not knowing at the time that it was made in China. Although the new one does work, I was very disappointed in the build quality and overall feel in comparison to my original. I have since changed my goto compass purchases to the Suunto brand and have well more than a dozen of them.

Lazarusaurus likes this.
  14. Lazarusaurus

Blog Posts:
    If the pole shift gets too bad I'll just open her up and flip the needle over.

Metaldog likes this.