New England Field Day September 17, 2017

Discussion in 'New England' started by werewolf won, Aug 10, 2017.

1. werewolf won

werewolf won TANSTAAFL Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    September 17, 2017 will be the date of the New England Field Day. The location will be the Freetown State Forest as usual. Family friendly -- all are welcome.

American Chop Suey with garlic bread and garden salad is the main meal.

Classes:
    European bank fishing -- Werewolf Won
    Land navigation -- Swampyankee64
    other classes will be added later.

Suggestions for classes , and offers to put them on are always welcomed.

Please post if you plan on attending.

See you there.

Thank you.
    Wolf

Attendees
    Moe M
    Swampyankee 64
    jimmy t
    Cheapeats
    Nemasket +3
    J.M.
    Rickpete and his famous cookies we hope :D
    Fieldcraftltc
    Johnnybearclaw
    Sub driver Dave
    Wheelman Ron

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  2. Moe M.

Moe M. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  3. jimmyt

jimmyt Living large! Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Either one is good for me as well.

4. Cheapeats

Cheapeats Guide

Blog Posts:
    Either hope to make this one.

5. CivilizationDropout

CivilizationDropout -MOA #17- Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Don't know yet, I'll chime in when I do though.

SwampYankee64, Moe M., jimmyt and 2 others like this.
  6. mainewoods

mainewoods Maine Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Sounds good , Hope to make it.

7. Cheapeats

Cheapeats Guide

Blog Posts:
    At this point I will be there

8. SwampYankee64

SwampYankee64 Supporter Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
  9. jimmyt

Blog Posts:
  10. J.M.

J.M. Scout

Blog Posts:
    Im in. Let me know what you need me to do or bring. Thanks!

jimmyt, SwampYankee64, Moe M. and 3 others like this.
  11. Nemasket

Nemasket Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I am in. Working on getting some newbies too. Will update when I have a count.

jimmyt, SwampYankee64, Moe M. and 3 others like this.
  12. Rickpete12

Rickpete12 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I plan to be there!

13. Moe M.

Blog Posts:
    Just a little less than two weeks and a few days to go until the meet, Wolf and I are going to need to plan for food so an accurate head count is important, it looks like attendance is going to be a little light for this one, I know a few people have said they would like to attend but weren't sure if the timing was good for them.
    If anyone is planning to attend and hasn't signed on please let us know and get your name on the list as soon as possible, and if anyone would like to share a skill or some bit of woodsy knowledge with us in the form of a class or discussion that would be great, let Wolf know, I know he'd appreciate it, this will probably be our last chance to get together this year.

Hope to see you all there. :59:

14. CivilizationDropout

Blog Posts:
  15. Moe M.

Blog Posts:
    Thanks, PM incoming.

16. werewolf won

Blog Posts:
    I can do a talk on European bank fishing methods if anyone is interested. Boilles, feeders, knotless knots and all that stuff :D

17. FIELDCRAFTLTC

FIELDCRAFTLTC Roughian #10 Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I will be there. What can I bring to help out on the eats?

18. Johnny Bearclaw

Johnny Bearclaw Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I am in, let me know if I can help out with the food or anything.

19. wheelmanron

wheelmanron Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hopefully my son and I can make it. If so, I'll bring cornbread.

20. Nemasket

Nemasket Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Add a plus 3 for me. I have some refugees that are spending the weekend with me.

21. werewolf won

Blog Posts:
    Less than a week to go now. Long range weather looks good with a clear day in the mid 70's should be nice!!

22. Moe M.

Blog Posts:
    Just a quick thank you to those who have posted offers to donate food for this event, your offers haven't been ignored, it's just that we usually have enough to go around and usually have left overs, we've always tried to provide without turning it into a pot luck event meal wise.
    However, there's nothing wrong with a little variety, Rick's Sugar Bombs, Ron's cornbread, Alan's Asian tea and Kabobs, a pot of chili or baked beans, all have been greatly appreciated, as well as the morning donuts and after lunch deserts that have been provided by members, and then there's Jimmy T's Dutch Oven magic.
    I'm sure, as usual no one will leave the meet hungry, if someone has a favorite snack, desert, or side dish that they would enjoy making and sharing, bring it on and we'll do our best to do it justice, but all that's really necessary from any one is to share the day with us and enjoy yourselves.

See you there. :dblthumb:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  23. wrath0r

wrath0r Guide

Blog Posts:
    I am a maybe.

24. werewolf won

Blog Posts:
    The American Chop Souy I plan to make on site over the fire. I plan to toast the bread the same way so it might be a disaster :D If someone wants to make a three bean salad or green beans etc as a side dish that would be great. Sweets (cakes cookies etc) are always a favorite.

CivilizationDropout likes this.
  25. CivilizationDropout

Blog Posts:
    Unfortunately I must back out, things to tend to at home. I'm disappointed, I was looking forward to seeing some familiar and unfamiliar faces.

Mainewoods has asked me to also forward his regrets, and let you know he will not be able to attend.

Have fun everyone, burn a tin for me!

werewolf won and FIELDCRAFTLTC like this.
  26. wrath0r

wrath0r Guide

Blog Posts:
    I, too, will be unable to attend. The timetable for some work on my jeep got accelerated to this week instead of next.

27. Cheapeats

Cheapeats Guide

Blog Posts:
    I too am going to have to drop out my car is in pieces and needs to make it to work Monday.

28. jimmyt

Blog Posts:
    See you all in the morning!

29. Moe M.

Blog Posts:
    Just got back from the meet (field day), the weather was great and the company better, fast count, about fifteen of us showed up, some old friends and we made a couple of new friends, this meet wasn't as organized as usual, not allot of classes but some great learning moments and time for friends to relax and catch up.
    SwampYankee 64 kept us entertained a good part of the day with his knife skills, the food was plentiful and great as usual, werewolf-won and JimmyT knocked it out of the park with their Dutch Oven American Chop Suey and grilled garlic bread, the fresh garden salad was my doing.
    A big thanks to Wheelman Ron and his son for the Corn Bread, Rick for his Sugar Bomb cookies, and to which ever guys it was who made the sweet bread, and the decadent two tone brownies, as usual the trade blanket got it's share of attention.
    To those folks who couldn't make it, you were missed, hope to see you next time, hopefully someone took some pictures and will post their thoughts.

Thanks Wolf for yet another great New England Bushcraft Field Day. :dblthumb:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  30. jimmyt

Blog Posts:
    IMG_0003.JPG +1 on Moe's post. I got some action shots of the chop suey on the fire. Meat browned

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  31. jimmyt

Blog Posts:
    IMG_0004.JPG Chief chef,

32. jimmyt

Blog Posts:
    Finished product, IMG_0005.JPG Most excellent!

x39, mainewoods, RobbieinME and 5 others like this.
  33. jimmyt

Blog Posts:
    Thanks to all for a good day out.

34. SwampYankee64

Blog Posts:
    As always, it was a really enjoyable day. Big thanks to Wolf and Moe for the time and effort they put into herding all us cats into one place. Wolf did a very indepth history lesson/tutorial about British fishing methods. I had no idea about all the differences, and "Heather the Leather" will forever more be in my party trivia rotation haha! I wont run thru all the names for fear of leaving someone out, but thanks to everyone who showed up.
    s/f
    Buzz

35. Moe M.

Blog Posts:
    I think I wasn't much more than five years old when I got my first "real" knife, we were on our annual family vacation to Sebago Lake in Maine, my Dad had stopped at a small sporting goods store and picked up a few fishing rigs (I think they were for Salmon), later back at the cottage he presented me with a Camp-King scout type knife.
    I think the Knife was made by Imperial Knife Co. in Providence RI., from that time on until I discovered that cars and girls were more interesting than whittling slivers of wood from any stick that came my way.
    I think watching you put your Turley through it's paces today making pot holders and try sticks brought back memories of those days of my youth of spending hours just reducing odd sticks into crude toothpick sized slivers, I guess it was my form of meditation, relaxation, a something to do when working out a problem.
    For what ever triggered those memories and the realization that in dealing with life I'd forgotten just how stress relieving it is to sit and whittle away at a piece of wood, even if all you're making are odd sized slivers.
    Thanks for that, sometime tomorrow I'm going to go out and hunt up some sticks. :57:

36. werewolf won

Blog Posts:
    There are many names and famous Carp. These are tow I spoke about:

Heather the Leather
    (1960 – 1 June 2010) was a 50-year-old scaleless (also known as leather) carp, described as "Britain's most famous fish". Heather was one of the oldest and largest carp in Great Britain and weighed 52 pounds (24 kg) and despite incorrect allegations in the press of being caught over 1000 times, she was likely caught by fishermen approximately 75 times. She was deemed by many carp anglers, both in the UK and across Europe, as the ultimate fish to catch given her age, history and catch difficulty.

At the time of her death in June 2010 she was around 50 years old and worth £30,000. (approx. $41,000.00) Heather was discovered dead at the edge of a lake at Yateley Complex on 1 June 2010, and is thought to have died of old age. The fish was buried by anglers near the lake with a headstone and memorial.

Benson (1984 – 4 August 2009) was "Britain's biggest and best-loved" common carp. Benson's popularity was such that she was caught 63 times in 13 years, although the accessibility that made her popular was also the cause of controversy among angling's elite. She has also been referred to as "the people's fish" and was voted by readers of Angler's Mail as Britain's Favourite Carp in 2005.

The fish, who was female, was originally one of a pair: her original companion, Miniver Cheevy, disappeared in a flood of the River Nene in 1998. Both fish were named due to a hole in Benson's dorsal fin that resembled a cigarette burn,[1] in a reference to Benson and Cheevy. At her peak weight, in 2006, she weighed 64 pounds and 2 ounces .

Benson died on 4 August 2009, aged 25. At the time of her death, she weighed the same as a large dog and was worth £20,000. The owner of the lake where she lived alleged that she was accidentally poisoned by anglers using uncooked tigernuts as bait.

It might have been a "slow news day" But Benson made the front page when she was found dead.
    The-Times-Benson-the-carp-001.jpg

37. werewolf won

Blog Posts:
    Here is another famous Carp that died just this year. I was going to tie up the rig that was used to take her at her world record weight but ran out of time. I did not know she had died, now I wish I had shown you guys the rig.

Angling world mourns the death of Britain's biggest carp

3 August 2017 • 5:05pm

In the angling world, he was something of a celebrity - Britain’s biggest carp, the one one obsessive fishermen spent years trying to catch.

And as news of The Parrot’s death spread on Thursday, fishermen were in mourning, paying moving tributes to the mighty 68lb 1oz mirror carp.

Mark Hibbs, manager of the Wasing Estate fishery in Berkshire, home to the fish since it was bought, weighing just 12lb, in 1997, said he was “absolutely gutted,” describing The Parrot as a “once in a lifetime fish.”

Mr Hibbs received the dreaded call at 6am on Wednesday when an angler pulled the
    record-breaking carp from his lake.

A post mortem confirmed it had died from natural causes, as expected, given the 25-year-old specimen’s age.

"People travelled far and wide for a glimpse of The Parrot, he was the fish everyone wanted to catch,” he said.

"Having caught him myself, I know first hand what a wonderful fish he was. He was a greedy fish, probably because of his size, and was caught three to six times a year.”

Mr Hibbs said the last fortnight had proved tricky for fish, because of the weather and the fluctuating water pressure that can cause problems with oxygen levels.

The Parrot, so called because of its narrow mouth which resembled a bird's beak, is now in the hands of a taxidermist and will be proudly mounted on a wall at the fishery when it is dried out and stuffed, a process that can take up to two years.

Dean Fletcher, a 54-year-old greengrocer from Caversham, Berks, who caught the carp at its top weight in January 2016, said: "The Parrot was a true one off so it's terribly sad to hear that he's died.

"Obviously he was the biggest around and one that so many wanted to record as a catch. It a massive loss to the carp world.

"As the record holder I obviously have very fond memories of him, catching him was a very special moment."

The Parrot’s size and reputation grew over the years and after the 2010 death of
    legendary carp Two Tone, which weighed 67lbs 14oz, The Parrot became the country's top carp.

Although there are larger freshwater fish, they tend to be catfish which are no longer recognised by the Angling Trust’s British Record Fish Committee, as so many are imported and could not technically be described as British. Others are deemed to be farmed as they are fed to a certain weight and then placed in lakes for anglers to catch.

The subject is a thorny one amongst the angling community, with great debate raging about what should constitute a British fish.

When angler Tom Doherty caught a record carp, Big Rig weighing 70lb 4oz last year, he
    received death threats amid claims the fish was not originally a British carp and was "farmed" before being put into the lake. For those reasons, it was rejected by the British Record Fish Committee. Big Rig too, died last month.

Angler’s paying tribute to the Parrot online, included Harry James, from Coventry, who wrote: "A sad day indeed, such a beautiful carp... a real loss."

Daniel Bragan, from Tadley, Hants, added: "Sorry to hear this awful news - a sad day in carp fishing. RIP The Parrot."

jimmyt and SwampYankee64 like this.
  38. werewolf won

Blog Posts:

The fish called Two Tone, who took over from Benson and was in turn replaced by The Parrot story is here:

End of the line for giant carp Two Tone after body 'rejected' by Natural History Museum

It appears there may be no glory in death for Two Tone the carp, after calls to see him displayed at the Natural History Museum went unheeded

In life, he was the holy grail of angling: the biggest mirror carp in Britain, worth tens of thousands of pounds and so sought-after by obsessed fishermen that it was nicknamed the “marriage wrecker”.

Now, years after the angling community mourned the death of Two Tone, the fish could be facing an ignominious end after calls to display his body in the
    Natural History Museum went unheeded.

Two Tone, a 45-year-old fish weighing 67lb 14oz, was famous in his lifetime for his size and unusual colouring, caught and released just twice a year on average after becoming the most desired mirror carp in the country.

Anglers would camp out for weeks on end to increase their chances of a catch, with wives bringing Christmas dinners to the lake side and even one wedding held on site in honour of the fish.

When he died in August 2010, dozens of anglers turned out at Conningbrook Lake, near Ashford, Kent, to mourn him
    , with grown men in tears and even a cake baked in his honour.

At the time, his body was placed in a chest freezer for safe-keeping, amid fears any grave would be dug up and the skeleton sold on.

Now, it has been claimed that the Natural History Museum turned down the opportunity to put Two Tone’s body on display, leaving anglers debating where to create his final resting place.

The late fish now faces being defrosted and put back into the lake he lived in, to decompose back into the ecosystem.

Chris Logsdon, Mid Kent Fisheries managing director, said his father, also named Chris, had offered Two Tone to the London museum shortly after its death, but had been told there was no interest in putting it on display.

He claimed curators offered only to take the body and preserve it, storing it away from public view with no opportunity for permanent display.

The decision has caused upset in the angling community, with many believing Britain’s biggest carp would be of scientific and popular interest, as well as a recognition of the popularity of the sport.

The fish is currently still in a chest freezer, with its condition not known.

It is likely to face one of three futures: being professionally stuffed and mounted in a local community hub, being placed back into the lake to rejoin the ecosystem, or being buried underneath a plaque already on site.

The final decision must take into account the iconic status of Two Tone, with fears the body could be disturbed and stolen, sold on for thousands of pounds to a collector.

The prestige of the fish, even five years after his death, is so high that a fan recently paid £1,000 for a mould of his body before realising it was a fake.

Mr Logsdon, 41, said he had been “gobsmacked” by the outpouring of grief for Two Tone after his death, after it hit the headlines around the world.

“We were going to bury Two Tone’s body with the plaque at the funeral, but we had a tip-off that somebody had been planning to dig it up,” he said. “So it’s still in my chest freezer, five years on.

“As far as I’m aware, the Natural History Museum was not interested in it at all.

“I think a lot of people were quite put out by that: it was the British record carp, the biggest fish of its species in this country, authenticated.

“There were people quite upset about the fact the Natural History Museum, while fishing is one of the biggest participant sports, didn’t bat an eyelid.”

After reading of Two Tone’s plight on Kent Online, one local made the case to “stuff it and let everyone see it."

Another suggested: "Be a great idea to have a big fish and chips dinner around the lake at Chilham."

39. SwampYankee64

Blog Posts:
    It definitely is a form of meditation for me Moe. Im glad I kick some pleasent memories loose for ya. Im far from the worlds best carver, but it is a good feeling to be comfortable with your tools and know how to use them to best effect. For some people they have become status symbols and props to add to a certain look, but there was a time not long ago when your knife was an extension of your arm and not being able to maintain and use it properly could possibly eliminate you from the gene pool.

40. Moe M.

Blog Posts:
    Your right, It's not that I don't have the skills, I think it's more the type of life style we live today, I use my knives to prep my fire wood, cut cordage, and fix my food, for some reason which escapes me I'd forgotten that I can use it just for the fun of it, and at the same time sharpen what knife skills I do have, that's going to change now, for that I thank you again.

41. Cheapeats

Cheapeats Guide

Blog Posts:
    [QUOTE="SwampYankee64, post: 3497738, member: 45524" not being able to maintain and use it properly could possibly eliminate you from the gene pool.[/QUOTE]
    I often wish those rules still applied

42. Moe M.

Blog Posts:
    I once read that "You don't always have to be good at what you do, as long as you are passionate about what you do, the only one you have to satisfy is yourself, if you are satisfied that you've done your best it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks".

43. CivilizationDropout

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like you boys had a day of angling assertion, culinary satisfaction and introspective revelation...

Absolutely sorry I had to miss it.