New generator storage

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by austexjg, May 29, 2018.

1. austexjg

austexjg Scout

Blog Posts:
    I got a heck of a deal on a small Honda generator that I couldn't pass up, but I really don't need it. How long can I keep it new and unused in the box before I do any damage by not using it regularly?

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  2. Muleman77

Muleman77 Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    If it's never been fueled or oiled, it's good as is almost indefintely.

3. austexjg

austexjg Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thank you for the reply - that is what I was hoping.

4. fire65

fire65 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Probably forever, but you are storing a generator that you have no idea if will run.

5. austexjg

austexjg Scout

Blog Posts:
    That is my main concern, but I'm betting on Honda reliability - hopefully.

6. RavenLoon

RavenLoon axology student Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm doing one that way. If you put oil and gas in it and start it up, then you should run it with a load on the electricity once a month for five minutes or so. Not a big chore but still I'm taking the chance to save the time and effort. I run two Honda pumps and a Honda engine on the woodsplitter that only get used one month a year and they never failed to start yet. I keep the oil in the box with the generator ready to go if I ever need it.

austexjg, Zunga and NevadaBlue like this.
  7. Zunga

Zunga Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I agree with no fluids, no worries. Minus corrosives like fluids. Your really talking about entropy, the passage of time. Materials like rubber and plastic will deteriate faster than the metals for example. A gasket not getting blasted with pressure and exhaust will die slower. A plastic fuel line not uv exposed will last longer than one outdoors. Since both fuel lines and gaskets are cheap comparatively speaking. Having some extras on hand (inspected every so often) would be a good idea. Leaving gas in any motor for a long time is the big no no. I dump the fuel every winter in all my two stroke motors and run the carb dry. If a motor has compression and you can get spark and fuel and oxygen. There's no reason it shouldn't run! I'm told diesel doesn't go bad or as fast as gas. I haven't confirmed that however.
    Cheers Jim

blind & lost and austexjg like this.
  8. marbleman

marbleman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I keep the marine variant of Sta-bil in the gas, and start it once a month. As mentioned, it's good to put a little load on it. When I'm done, I shut off the gas and let it starve out. I know the carb still has some in the float bowl, but that at least reduces it.

austexjg likes this.
  9. Cheapeats

Cheapeats Guide

Blog Posts:
    Back in 2008 we had a sever Ice storm that left a good part of new england without power, my house had heat but no running water and the weather warmed up so we were worried about the meat in our freezer generators were hard to get. My parents lived in a town that was not as badly hit and had power called and asked if I wanted my uncle's generator he had passed several years before. My uncle was worried about the Y2K bug and among his other preps had purchased a generator and it was still unused in the box we added gas and oil and it started right up, no problem which was good because I had a torn bicep. I can't vouch about forever but i can about at least 8 years.

PMSteve, Huey, austexjg and 2 others like this.
  10. Pinelogcreek

Pinelogcreek Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have one that I converted to propane to avoid the gas issue and I change the oil annually at the start of hurricane season. Other than that it’s been in the garage since 2005. I started it two weeks ago for a power outage in two pulls.

11. Medic17

Medic17 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    If you do decide to run it, use only Tru Fuel.
    Sure it is expensive as all get out but you do not have to worry about bad gas.
    Don't mess around with fuel stabilizers.
    The only one I found worth anything is PRI-G.

PMSteve likes this.
  12. Kona9

Kona9 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Tru Fuel, is that what is sold in very small containers by the line trimmers in Home Depot, etc? I doubt that is really a viable option for a generator, unless it is sold in much larger containers. Depending on how small his generator is, the cost to run it on that will be crazy. Ethanol-free gas is being sold at just about every gas station by me now, not sure around the country. I would get a few 5 gallon containers filled with that and add in some Stabil. I usually double does the Stabil. I never had any issues doing the above with regular gas here in NY, and have converted over to the Ethanol-free as it should work even better. After six months, a year, two years, whatever you decide is the time to refresh your supplies you can use it in your other engines including your car. Nothing wrong with that at all.

13. Pinelogcreek

Pinelogcreek Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I only keep fuel during hurricane season in bulk but here is what I do. The first week I buy five gallons and every week after until I reach my storage goal. After the goal is reached I pour the first five gallons in the truck and replace it and I work through it that way. Never had a fuel issue using this method. For true long term storage propane is the only way to go, conversion of my Honda EU2000 was about 150.00. I have enough propane to make it run for quite some time. If you have natural gas at home then all of your worries can be set aside with a conversion. Just make sure to have oil and change it regularly.