New Go To Knife

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by pure_mahem, Dec 19, 2008.

1. pure_mahem

pure_mahem Guide

Blog Posts:
    Eastern Upstate NY / South Western Vermont
    I'm currently considering purchasing an Ontario RAT 5 for use as my new side carry go to knife. I really like the blade length and design. I will use it for EDC and most of my outdoor campcraft projects. This would also make up my primary survival knife should the need ever arise mainly because it would always be with me. Seeing how I haven't ever actually held one because none of the stores around here carry them and I will be purchasing over the net do you think this is a good choice or do you think there is a better option? Experiences and opinions welcome. Please keep in mind I am looking for a durable 5"ish carbon unserrated fixed blade knife. My main reason for the 5 inch blade length instead of the 4 is because I have rather large hands and that size blade seems to balance better in my hand. All coments welcome!:D

Medicine maker likes this.
  2. Zengunfighter

Zengunfighter Guide

Blog Posts:
    I bought a Rat 3 for my Wife last year for a trip to Bryce Canyon. Set it up as a neck knife. She loves it. I like it quite a bit. I've been eyeing the 5" blade for a while. I think that lenght is optimal for a EDC/bushcraft knife in the US.
    For the price, it is a good value. I ended up getting a Tops Paysaten Light traveler, which I think is better, but it is more expensive.
    For me, the PLT is the optimum blend of geometry and design for a bushknife.

But I really don't think you can go wrong with the RAT5 if that is what you want.

3. pure_mahem

pure_mahem Guide

Blog Posts:
    I did a little bit of searching around and reading today and found that the skull crusher end on the RAT 5 has a nasty habbit of digging into ones side while carrying it. I discovered low and behold RAT isn't completely hooked up with Ontario anymore and they produce some slightly higher quality knives on there own at RAT Cutlery. And I found what I'm gonna spend some of my Christmas money on an RC 6... Me likey a lot!

http://www.chestnutridgeknifeshop.c...d=227&osCsid=41e2e7d43abb805d093ac4dfbaf03df3

4. Jason

Jason Founder Staff Member Administrator Vendor

Blog Posts:
    You could just grind down the skull crusher to suit your needs. I am not a fan of that feature personally either.

5. CloaknDagger

CloaknDagger Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Good move by switching to RAT cutlery. I have their RC4, which I believe to be an ideal bushcraft blade. The steel is differentially heat-treated so the blades are very strong. Since the steel is 1095, it has reasonable edge-holding and sharpens very easily. The only issue is that the knife grinds come pretty thick, so you will probably need to reprofile the blade a little for bushcraft work. RC makes a great blade, i just hope they don't go too far towards the "super-extreme" advertising like TOPS did.

6. Bill

Bill Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have an RC3 from RAT (not Ontario), but I don't know if I am convinced that RAT Cutlery is "superior" to Ontario's RAT series. The warranty on RC is definitely amazing, but they are also almost twice the price. You can buy a Ontario Rat 3 off of buymilspec.com for $55. That is cheeeap compared an RC-3 like I have.

I have to wonder, are RC's stuff priced higher because they are truly better (manufactured by Rowen) or because they produce less so they have to charge more. (Just to kind of offer an argument towards the latter conclusion; the Schrade PH1 and PH2 are manufactured in China, which I know many of you hate, but it is a darn nice blade. Price doesn't always equal superiority. Mora's are proof of that).

7. Trekon86

Trekon86 Guest

Blog Posts:
    Yeah but most Moras aren't made in Chicom...more like Scandinavia where people take more pride in their work.
    PMZ

8. pure_mahem

pure_mahem Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have reconsidered to go with the RC 4 because I seem to have drifted toward a much larger blade than I really need or want. My options are still open and I'm looking daily but haven't seen anything else that catches my eye quite the same for under a $100. Every time I find another knife I like I find out the thing sells for like $200 or more. I want something I buy at a relatively low price, I can beat the hell out of it and not be afraid to use the thing because it should belong in a case somewhere in the safe. While I will agree the Moras are a hell of a knife for the money I want something just a bit more. To quote some one here "Something to look like I gave a damn." I've considered making my own, but, metal work has never been my thing. I looked at the Becker Companion as well but I think that's just a little more than I need. I've seen some nice work from a local knife smith and he'll make what ever I want for around $75-100 but he's got a one year waiting list. I'm kind of looking for something I can start playing with after Christmas.

gohammergo likes this.
  9. Bushpuukko

Bushpuukko Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm waiting on my new Fallkniven F1 as we speak! Granted most people prefer Carbon Steel but I do a lot of my bushcrafting around rivers and lakes. I'm always in and out of my kayaks or canoes. VG-10 works great for me, holds an edge and is pretty easy to sharpen. I paid about $110 with 3 day shipping.

FYI-the Laminated VG-10 is nothing more than a core of V Gold 10 steel sandwiched between 2 layers of 420J2. VG10 is a Japanese steel that they will not export. Thats why Fallknivens are made in Japan. Google some reviews on it. Just my long-winded 2 cents.

10. LongRider

LongRider Guest

Blog Posts:
    IMO you would be better off going with a Becker BK2 Campanion and for a larger blade a Becker BK7 or BK9. In fact for under $200 you could get one of each from Tomars Ka Bars. Anyone of them as good or better than a RAT by any maker

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2009
  11. mechtec

mechtec Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I used to have a Rat-5 from Ontario and it was a good knife, I liked it and it fit my hand well and did what it was supposed to do but it got sold to a friend of mine to help fund an RC-4 which I really like( I'm a huge RAT Cutlery fan). If I had to choose a 5 inch I would go with the Becker BK-2, it's one tough bush blade for a very reasonable cost.
    Sgt. Mac did a nice write up on it here http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2368

12. zorcon

zorcon Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have the onterio rat 3 and also the rat 5 and they are both excelent blades in my opinion my rat 5 is made out of d2 steel and is a very durable blade it is a good blade for the woods I am notreal fond of the the sheath and I am inthe process of making a leather one, My rat 3 is my edc knife it goes withme every where

13. LongRider

LongRider Guest

Blog Posts:
    Exactly, I liked your post and pics on that thread. Good pics, examples of how versatile that knife is. The BK2 may not be a scalpel and it does not chop as well as an ax but it does all the tasks needed from a knife for survival. Hack through cars, steel doors, dig a trench, baton wood, shave kindling, start a fire, make snares, traps, make a shelter, skin a rabbit or a deer, break down deer carcass, chop onions dice carrots, slice a roast

14. SpookyPistolero

SpookyPistolero Slow learner Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I used the Bk2 for a while, just couldn't enjoy it. Just very ungainly, and weighs about as much as a hatchet/scandi combo! I understand that it's an answer to a 'one knife' scenario, but the weight, thick grind, and odd balance make it unlikely to be carried by me.

The BK9, however, is a real winner and a great choice for the one-knife thing.

I've used the RC3 & 4, and the OC RAT 3. The quality on the RC stuff is much higher, and they have a couple of small design tweaks. RC could really produce a winner if they'd ditch the choils and make rounder handles. Otherwise, they feel like tactical knives being forced to function as woods knives.

The TAK and RAT-5 still do look interesting, though.

15. LongRider

LongRider Guest

Blog Posts:
    I have an Kershaw Outcast in D2 steel. It seemed prone to chip under hard chopping and D2 is a bear to sharpen. Not things I like in a woods blade and why I like 1095. Great edge retention and can easily put a razor edge on it or sharpen it with a stone if need be

16. SpookyPistolero

SpookyPistolero Slow learner Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Knife-wise, there are few things I enjoy less than sharpening D2. Ugh...

O1 for me, please! (Or 1095..)

17. Mountain Ron

Mountain Ron Guide

Blog Posts:
    Ranger knives are well made and very durable, too.

18. Dino

Dino Tracker

Blog Posts:
    If you are looking at a 5" inch blade for your "go to" knife, I would consider the BK16 over the BK2. Ethan Becker says that the BK16 is the best knife he has ever designed...and I love the feel of it in my medium-sized hands. It is a full flat grind and is very affordable!

buckfynn likes this.
  19. buckfynn

buckfynn Old Geezer Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Welcome to Bushcraft USA, Dino!

20. Dino

Dino Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thank you Sir!