New grunt call prototype

Discussion in 'ozarkhunter - Metamorphosis Woodworks' started by ozarkhunter, Sep 28, 2018.

1. ozarkhunter

ozarkhunter Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Here is a picture of a prototype of my new
    grunt call for whitetail hunting....
    grunt prototype.jpg

I need to post a pic of my sketch of this thing. I dinked around with sketches last week and early this week while on my lunch breaks at work. Once I sketched the shape of this one, I was able to stop sketching, knowing I had come up with a finished design. I showed my wife the sketch next to the call... nailed it.

I love flowing lines. I am a big fan of Shaker furniture. (built a 7' tall queen sized pencil post bed and matching night stands years ago with Shaker inspiration) I turned this call using re-purposed walnut from a block used to support a back drop for an old trade show display. The ring in the center is made of hickory that came from a huge plank that was in my father in law's shop before he passed away. Not sure what he used it for, but it had multiple colors of paint over-spray and spill on it. The "ring" portion actually has a tennon on each end that extend into the walnut tubes. The lower portion (end with the paracord) will be glued into the tube. The upper portion will have 3 o-rings (waiting on them to arrive) that will produce a compression fit that will keep the upper tube snug, but allow for removal to adjust the pitch of the reed. The reeds I'm using allow for pitches from a deep, guttural grunt to a thin, bright fawn bleat.

I hate the chinese made spring style lanyards that come on most production calls, so I opted for a simple, functional paracord lanyard. The lower portion of the call has a hole drilled through the wall. The paracord is inserted through the hole and attached using a larks head knot. The call hangs upside down on the lanyard. I plan to cut the paracord long enough to allow a person to adjust the length as they like, and just use an overhand knot with the doubled paracord ends.

I was very pleased with the first "prototype" call and the fact that I had no issues in producing the call as I designed it in my head and on paper. I had basically turned it in my head, going step by step through the processes before I ever cut and started turning the pieces in my shop. I have several to make for friends and some folks at a company where I do a lot of bartering, but should offer a few here in the next couple of weeks.

2. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Looks great!

ozarkhunter likes this.
  3. Crusher0032

Crusher0032 Appalachian Arthfael

Blog Posts:
    Your stuff just gets better and better!

ozarkhunter likes this.