1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

New ! High potential Material for crafting !!

Discussion in 'Other Skills' started by Keyser Söze, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Raincoast

Raincoast Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    For those wondering about the durability of this long-term, I've worked in plastics manufacturing and can give some insight: Based on the visual properties, it looks like it's an 90/10 blend of recycled crumb rubber mixed with a polypropylene binding agent, possibly something like KW621. We've used similar blends to manufacture impact-resistant items.

The good news is that it'll hold up decently to stress and impacts, along with general wear. The bad news is that designs which introduce too many punctures to the material will cause it to fall apart relatively fast, since it's more rubber than plastic. Rivets are probably better than stitching long-term. Also, it'll burn just like a tire and catch pretty easily (depending on how low the polymer content is).

Don't use it for anything that might come into contact with food or yourself regularly, though, crumb rubber is nasty stuff which leaches an absurd amount of carcinogens.

okapimike likes this.
  2. Raincoast

Raincoast Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    For the most part crumb rubber is stable and will only present a health hazard if it's heated and offgasses, much like a tire. But I'd urge an abundance of caution and not use it to make anything to hold consumables such as, say, tobacco pouches or something.

Carabnr and okapimike like this.
  3. Keyser Söze

Keyser Söze Usual Suspecto Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    quiver is done

[h=2][​IMG][/h]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. crewhead05

crewhead05 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That is beautiful. Awesome work.

5. Keyser Söze

Keyser Söze Usual Suspecto Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
  6. crewhead05

Blog Posts:
    I finally picked up some of this stuff. My project idea list is growing.

Keyser Söze likes this.
  7. Carabnr

Carabnr Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Love what you've come up with. That's a nice looking sheath. The other thing i like about the material is it doesn't absorb water. I was just reading up about axe sharpening and care and they posted that you should keep them o in a covered unheated shed to keep them from drying out. If you do that with a leather sheath you'll have a mess and a rusty axe head. I've been making my sheaths from copper flashing and adding a strip of leather to improve it's staying power. Still can't bare the thought of storing my babies outside, but if I do I'll probably swap the leather out with an impermiable material like what you have there.
    Great job!

Keyser Söze and crewhead05 like this.
  8. crewhead05

Blog Posts:
    Did a little playing around to see what its like to use this stuff. Made sheath for my ontario project. I would have preferred a bit more width to play around with as I initially planned on having the first couple inches of the knife handle go in the sheath, but it still worked out pretty well. Its fun stuff, kind of like working with very thick leather.

mat.JPG