New knife choice. I need help.

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by MiketheKnife, Mar 8, 2018.

1. MiketheKnife

MiketheKnife Tracker

Blog Posts:
    So my wife (I love her!) wanted to do something extra special for my birthday this year. I will be turning 31 on May31. We call it a golden birthday. She wants to take me to Blade Show in Atlanta and wants to buy me a nice knife. The knife doesn't have to come from Blade Show. The show is part of the memory; the blade is the present.

I am looking for an all-around excellent bushcrafting blade. Would you give me any suggestions of your favorite knives or makers that you feel i would enjoy. I don't have a ton of experience with different types of knives so as far as personal preferences go I'm pretty flexible, though I do want something that is pretty! I fully intend to make this my primary bush blade.

So what makers should I check out when I go, which ones should I check out who won't be there, and what knife would you get if you were me? Let's put the price cap at $500.

Thanks for the help!

Bobsdock, Madwell, freebirdfb and 5 others like this.
  2. JAY

JAY Guide

Blog Posts:
    My favorite is my BK 7, with added micarta scales, The sheath isn't that great so made my own. DSC00900.JPG DSC00895.JPG

DomC, Bobsdock, cek and 11 others like this.
  3. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Guide

Blog Posts:
    Any of the vendors or hobbyists here. I have knives from Wolf Creek Forge and RW Fred and I have used an SET in a pass around. Here are my Fred's
    IMG_20180126_213036.jpg

4. MiketheKnife

MiketheKnife Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Those are pretty!

5. Mr. Tettnanger

Mr. Tettnanger Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Scott Gossman builds a no BS bullet proof knife! Plenty of designs to please any taste and he is one helluva nice guy!

His Polaris or Deer Creek model would be hard to beat as an everyday outdoors knife!

Bobsdock, buckfynn, Madwell and 7 others like this.
  6. central joe

central joe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Don't overlook the puukko. Lots of good ones out there, and almost always underrated. The Spyderco has become my daily carry. joe

Bobsdock, buckfynn, Madwell and 5 others like this.
  7. Nightflyer

Nightflyer Scout

Blog Posts:
    Fiddleback Forge. My Duke is my favorite of all my knives. It's a beautiful and very tough user. The Stabilized box elder burl handle just melts into my hand, and the blade takes and holds a scalpel sharp edge.

image.jpeg

8. MiketheKnife

MiketheKnife Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thank you for the responses!

Madwell, freebirdfb and central joe like this.
  9. woodsranger

woodsranger Scout

Blog Posts:
  10. Kona9

Kona9 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I would go to the show and get your hands on as many knives as possible. Don’t mind what people here tell you, pick what feels right to you and buy it at the show if possible.

Bobsdock, cek, apbtlvr and 9 others like this.
  11. Creaky Bones

Creaky Bones Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Good advice. My wife bought me a gorgeous custom once and the handle just didn't work. It's disappointing to get a beautiful knife as a gift only to discover it doesn't feel good in your hand. You want something you will use.

12. doulos

doulos Guide

Blog Posts:
    If L.T. Wright is represented there... they're priced fairly and very hard to beat!

IMG_6343.jpg

13. Paulyseggs

Paulyseggs Scout

Blog Posts:
    Im not a hardcore bushcrafter. But I try .

I also have a hard time spending alot of money on a knife when a Mora does just about everything I do with a knife .

Dont get me wrong .There are some beautiful and functional tools out there .But they're not for me . Maybe if money was no option Id think different .But it is.

CSM1970, Faiaoga, buckfynn and 4 others like this.
  14. lyco.woodsrunner

lyco.woodsrunner Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have been to BladeShow about a half dozen times. Like @Kona9 stated above, go to the show, walk around and handle as many knives as interest you. Buy the one or ones that catch your eye. You will be like a kid in a candy store though. So many knives, so many makers. You will probably have a hard time picking just one. Or at least I do...

15. badglide9705

badglide9705 Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    And for me , sometimes meeting the maker can help make a decision. I would definitely buy at the show with hands on.

16. Prophet911

Prophet911 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'll be at Blade Show that Saturday maybe I'll run into you there. I guess my favorite bushcraft knives (Sargent & AA forge) probably won't be sold there. IDK.

Bobsdock, Madwell, freebirdfb and 2 others like this.
  17. lyco.woodsrunner

lyco.woodsrunner Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Actually AA forge is going to be there this year. Table 24T.

18. MiketheKnife

MiketheKnife Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Aa forge is scheduled to be there. That is one of the ones I have my eye on. Hope to see you.

19. Dillon Finan

Dillon Finan Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I think you need to decide a couple of things/personal preferences, because you are truly buying a special knife - a lifer.
    1. handle aesthetics- wood, micarta, g10?
    2. blade- ease of maintenance, durability, or aesthetics?
    3. type - production? semi-custom? one of a kind?

I think Fiddleback Forge is a great starting point if you want a beautiful highly functional knife.
    I think busse or carothers are the place to start if you want the most high end innovative materials.
    I have nothing against a Mora, but it seems you are looking for something more special than that?

If you are looking for a special "production" knife - I like the spyderco, benchmade, and bark river bushcraft style knives - in that order. After that I would look at Scandinavian knives with cool wooden handles . . . anyway have fun!!!
    Cheers

20. hlydon

hlydon Scout

Blog Posts:
    Best I’ve seen on this thread. Great size, etc. for “the one.” I’ve been eyeing it myself.

21. Coryphene

Coryphene Guide

Blog Posts:
    If there are any custom makers or semi-custom, see about buying a nice blank and do the rest yourself. Scales are pretty easy to do and the work you put in will make it yours. Make sure the table can tell you the steel beyond "carbon" or "stainless". Some steels are good, some are great, some are just so-so. Some cheaper steels are simply amazing and punch way above their weight class. Such steels are 80crv2, 15n20, and O1. None of these are expensive nor difficult to work or heat treat. Ask about Rockwell hardness and if they do anything to increase toughness like draw back the spine (hard edge/soft spine).

Damascus steels are just a labor intensive way to make an inexpensive steel cost more without benefits above aesthetics. A 15n20 or 80crv2 damascus blade won't be any tougher than one made from a bar and stock removal. It'll just be prettier. They used to be a good way to remove impurities by folding a blade over and over again. Modern steels don't suffer from the same production flaws of 500 years ago.

Bobsdock, JasonJ, Prophet911 and 5 others like this.
  22. trekker111

trekker111 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    If you are looking for a standard factory knife, I like my tops fieldcraft, the esee knives, and even my mora companion hd.

23. Detroithiker

Detroithiker Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'm sure you will get all kind of suggestions but mine is simple, use a more for the tough tasks and for learning but save the gift for the stuff you know won't risk damaging a memorable gift.

24. Ptpalpha

Ptpalpha Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My suggestion is to get your priorities hammered out before you hit the show. I've been there 3 times, and brother that first time was overwhelming. Pocket full of cash, and no idea what I was after other than a new knife.
    Trust me, you're going to see scores of knives that you'll want. REALLY want. Lots of them. Tables full of stunning knives, aisles filled with tables...you get the picture.
    So decide beforehand on things like carbon vs stainless, man made vs organic handle material, blade length, handle length, type of sheath, scandi vs convex vs full flat grinds, do you prefer a guard, is a tapered tang something you fancy, jumping vs no jimping, even small details like a lanyard hole... narrow down as much as you can now so you are operating at peak efficiency when you're at the show.
    A $500 budget opens up a lot of options. Knowing which options are important to you will greatly increase the odds that you'll come home with that rarest of knives: a Keeper.
    Good luck, have fun, show us what you come home with!

Bobsdock, SmilinJoe, apbtlvr and 3 others like this.
  25. MiketheKnife

MiketheKnife Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I am leaning toward wood, unsure on the steel, and custom.
    Fiddleback's newsletter is probably the thing that got me leaning that way!

26. MiketheKnife

MiketheKnife Tracker

Blog Posts:
    This is definitely on my to do list!

freebirdfb and Coryphene like this.
  27. MiketheKnife

MiketheKnife Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Great suggestion! I actually got a mora companion back in January for just that.

28. MiketheKnife

MiketheKnife Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Great advice. Thank you.

HunterX9 and Detroithiker like this.
  29. Jacob

Jacob Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    This is kind of a stock response to these kinds of questions but...

For 500$ your looking for a piece of art and that’s entirely subjective. There’s nothing wrong with that at all but It’s not going to be 5x as functional as a 100$ production blade. I’m not saying it to be mean, just hoping you have realistic expectations as far as performance goes.

Gossman, turley, siembida, rw fred, Michael bear etc... there are a LOT of great knife makers floating around the forums here. For your budget you could easily go the full custom route and get exactly what you want. Maybe take some mental notes at the show. If a particular makers aesthetics stand out to you, you could ask if they’re willing to make something to your specs.

the Spyderco Bushcraft or proficient are an almost sure bet for a super comfy handle if nothing else.

I hope you enjoy whatever you end up with! And for goodness sake don’t forget to take your wife out to dinner.

30. HunterX9

HunterX9 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    All depends on the size of the blade you want. I love the mora garberg and Kansbol. I edc a mora Eldris. But for slightly bigger blades my go to knives are the Terävä Skrama, an Esee expat machete, or my Kabar Bowie. You can get ideas from us all day long but best option would probably be go to the show with the wife, window shop, handle the blade to see how it fits your hand, and just go with what’s working for you. Maybe settle on a grind and metal with a general idea of blade shape before you go.

Sounds like an awesome time! Have fun!

Bobsdock and apbtlvr like this.
  31. Jacob

Jacob Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    For the win!

Spoken like a veteran. Pocket full of.... wait, where did my cash go?

HunterX9, Madwell and Ptpalpha like this.
  32. Crooked Penguin

Crooked Penguin Scout

Blog Posts:
    Congratulations, she sounds like a keeper!

Not sure what size/grind/blade-thickness etc. you're looking for, but the one I regret selling the most is my Spyderco BushcraftUK. For the budget you're stating you can probably find yourself one of the original models with the spalted maple handle. They ditched the maple handles for G10 from the second batch & onwards because there were some problems with the stabilization of the wood (leading to the handle scales cracking) so be aware that you might need to address that issue if you go for one of these, but they're so beautiful and have the most comfortable handle I've ever had the pleasure of using.

If you don't care for wood the G10 handled version is a great choice to of course.

Fiddleback Forge make some really nice knives too (that's what I've been carrying for the last 5 years or so) but their offering in scandinavian grind (the bushcraft grind imo) varies greatly and unfortunately I can't recommend their convex-grind. The ones I've used were all far too thick behind the edge to be useful anyway. I've tried thinning one out to where I liked but but when it finally cut the way I wanted the edge had become too weak to use so I just can't recommend those.

Adventure Sworn also makes very beautiful knives and many here swear by them but for me personally their heat-treatment is just too soft, ymmv. On the Wayfarer I've owned (O1 steel) I had to reprofile the spine of the knife after every time I used a ferro-rod. That's just a poor job imo.

You don't have to spend that much if you don't want to though, Enzo makes some really good knives too for a very reasonable price imo. The Trapper is probably their most popular model if you want to look in to it. That may be the way to go for now since you don't really seem to know what you want yet, so maybe it's best to just try some out to find out what you like before you spend a boat-load of cash on something that may turn out to be not at all what you're looking for. For most people finding the right knife is sort of a journey anyway, very few of us get lucky on the first try (buy).

Good luck, and enjoy the ride... ;)

33. Madwell

Madwell Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You have an awesome wife man! Good luck at the show. Weather you find the right knife or not no doubt you’ll hone in on what it is you want.

Bobsdock and HunterX9 like this.
  34. mcblade

mcblade Scout

Blog Posts:
    Don't buy anything before you go to the show there is so much to choose from there. A lot of the knives you see here but there is just so much more. God luck and happy hunting and hang on that wife.

Bobsdock and HunterX9 like this.
  35. MiketheKnife

MiketheKnife Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have heard really good things about Adventure Sworn too. I was hoping to see them there but I didn’t see them on the list.

Thanks for the edge tip. I’ll keep that in mind.

I will be sure to check out some Enzo’s while I’m there too.

Crooked Penguin likes this.
  36. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Guide

Blog Posts:
    Here are my Wolf Creek Forge knives a kephart and a necker.
    129.jpg 125.jpg 132.jpg

Bobsdock likes this.
  37. 1066vik

1066vik Guide

Blog Posts:
    if you can do it. spend 2 days at the show looking at stuff and taking notes before buying anything.
    talk to the makers if you can.
    sunday morning around 10 a lot of makers start offering killer deals for cash -- of course, you can miss out on some nice knives waiting for a bargain like that, as well.
    I've been there the past several years helping different friends with their tables and it's a blast.
    most likely I'll be at the JW Bensinger table again -- I think it's 8DD - across from Elmer Rousch.

Bobsdock likes this.
  38. Kyle363

Kyle363 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Adventure Sworn, AA Forge, or LT Wright in that order

Bobsdock likes this.
  39. MASC1104

MASC1104 Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Commonwealth of Virginia - The Mother of States
    As many options as stars in the sky. I’ll name a maker that i dont think has been mentioned yet but for some reason i really like the aesthetics of and I’ve only read gold things about. Never had one in hand though. May not be your style tho.

Dark Timber Knives

Bobsdock likes this.
  40. 1066vik

1066vik Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've handled a few of them and thought they felt a bit chunky/poorly balanced -- but since I've never used one, I could be very wrong.
    to me most of Peter's designs that I've handled are more art knives than "take out into the woods" knives.

Bobsdock and MASC1104 like this.
  41. MASC1104

MASC1104 Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Commonwealth of Virginia - The Mother of States
    Thanks for the heads up!

42. MiketheKnife

MiketheKnife Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Well I had a great time at bladeshow. Super exciting to get to meet all sorts of new people, many whom i knew about through various ways and many i knew nothing about. I got to meet several "Alone" competitors and quite a few "Forged in Fire" participants. I probably met several people I should have known but didn't. Lol! Loads of fun all around.
    I made a choice on new knife (drum roll.........)
    AA Forge Classic Bushcrafter
    I got to meet both Adam and Aaron. Great guys!
    I have not yet had a chance to hit the woods yet but i am planning to spend a few hours out there tomorrow. I will post pics then!
    Thanks for all of the advice and recommendations. I am thrilled with the new knife, but more than that I am thrilled with my wonderful wife!

HunterX9, Bobsdock, SmilinJoe and 5 others like this.
  43. MiketheKnife

MiketheKnife Tracker

Blog Posts:
    705B57FE-5E83-4646-B322-CF841A3D1EA6.jpeg Here it is! My picture taking skills need a lot of improvement. Lol
    It has a little sheath rubbing right at the swell. Any suggestions for safely removing it?

44. tobiism

tobiism Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Awesome! I'm sure you'll enjoy it! Unfortunately with light color handles you are going to end up with some transfer from the sheath. You'll have to become accustomed to it because usually sanding it off is the only thing that is going to get rid of it.

Bobsdock and MiketheKnife like this.
  45. Madwell

Madwell Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That’s a beautiful knife congrats.

MiketheKnife likes this.
  46. MiketheKnife

MiketheKnife Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Than
    ks for the heads up. It doesn’t really bother me I plan on it looking like a user. ;)

47. MiketheKnife

MiketheKnife Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I meant “thanks” not “ks”.

tobiism likes this.
  48. MiketheKnife

MiketheKnife Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thank you!

tobiism likes this.
  49. MiketheKnife

MiketheKnife Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thank you!

Madwell likes this.
  50. Greg Johnson

Greg Johnson Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Nice looking knife. When I think of a "bushcraft" knife that's it. Looks like a jack lore classic.