New Marylander

Discussion in 'Maryland' started by Seeker, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    or whatever it's called. Marylandsian? Marylandist? Marylandian? Ravens fan? (i jest. I am absolutely apathetic about sports, except hockey, and even then, no favorites... just like to watch the game.)

Old member, but relocating to Aberdeen from Loozeanna in a couple weeks (new job at Aberdeen Proving Ground). Trying to get a feel for how active you lot are. Coming from LA near the TX border, we did a lot of stuff with the Texas guys. Hoping you have a similar relationship with the guys over in PA.

Will probably not do much until late October, getting settled, but definitely interested in meeting some folks... probably coffee first, making sure you're not serial killers or anything.

Anyone canoe/kayak the Susquehanna? Seem to be some cool islands to explore. New boss tells me you can camp on some, some are powerboat/partiers havens, and some are off limits.

Also interested in getting over to the range at Elk Neck... seems to me that one of you is a range volunteer there.

Is the Susquehanna State Park any good for day hikes?

Also need the usual "guy stuff" for the Aberdeen area... first off, a good barbershop (you know... where the farmers go... kid-friendly, old guys, pickup trucks... Harford/Cecil County. They'll know all the rest of this), a good mechanic, an honest used car lot, an old timey hardware store (again, you know the place... old guys, wood stove, store cat, nails by the pound, pocket knife display), good electrician, plumber, AC guy, all that sorta stuff.

holler here, or pm. thanks.

2. Macabe96

Macabe96 Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Hey Seeker,
    Welcome to the area. I live on the other side of the river in Ceciltucky, but lived in Aberdeen for a few years.

To answer a few of your questions, there is tons of paddling in the area. If flatwater is your interest, you have the whole bay at your disposal. As well as the surrounding waters that feed into it. When I lived in Aberdeen, I would put in at Otter Creek which opens up into the Bush river. Havre De Grace has a nice kayak launch under the train bridge too. There are lots of places across the river to put in a's well, Perryville Park and North East park both have nice designated kayak launch sites. Check out Deer Creek too, it's one of my favorites. It is a small creek that cuts through northern Harford county. Nice and remote, but need to make sure she is flowing to paddle it.

Susquehanna State Park is my go to for walking the pooch and covering some trail. It is a really nice little park with plenty of trails that you can connect and make quite a long hike out of.

The best barber I've found in the area is Nick, an old time greek man who is located next to the Green Turtle there in Aberdeen. And Hodges Hardware, located on rt. 40 west of Aberdeen, will fit the bill for what you are looking for. A true old time hardware store with just about a little bit of everthing. Make sure you explore the whole place, you will be amazed at what you can find there.

Hope this helps and welcome to the area.

3. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    Funny... I found the otter creek put in just google-map-stalking... nice to have it confirmed... would love to know if Gray's Run is passable... it runs behind my new place, and i'd love to follow it down into the Bay.

The Green Turtle... is that the sports bar behind the Holiday Inn Express on 22/Beard's Hill? if so, i know exactly where that is.

And I think I know where Hodges is... I'm pretty sure I pass it on the way home (up 40 to 7.) OR i saw it while driving around lost.

Are any of the islands in the Susquahanna campable? they look really nice and wooded.

Thanks for the input. And I hope to buy in Cecil in a year.

rsnurkle and Turtle Creek like this.
  4. dirt7

dirt7 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Welcome! I have lived in Harford County for about 13 years now.

There are a lot of islands on the Susquehanna, but as I know it you are not "allowed" to camp on any of them. If you go further up into PA the Mason Dixon trail runs along the Susquehanna, with plenty of locations where you can backpack and primitive camp.

There are a lot of great places around here to paddle, and some of the more remote or off the beaten path places are great when the water levels are high enough to paddle. Check out the Bush River area, and Anita Leight Estuary.

rsnurkle, Turtle Creek and Seeker like this.
  5. Josh-Samsquanch

Josh-Samsquanch Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Nice! I’m just over the Chesapeake bay in Dover.

I like Susquehannock state park, can be alittle crowded during the weekends. You also have falling rock park, Which now gets over ran by people also. Mason Dixon trail, white clay creek, deer creek.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    Seeker, rsnurkle and Turtle Creek like this.
  6. renter6

renter6 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Old Greek barbers in the DC Metro area for the win!! There are three near where I work in Kensington in MOCO, in and out in 10 minutes!

I live in PG Co. on the north side of DC, a whole other world I realize... Happy to hear about other places in the region to paddle or hike, I mostly put into the Anacostia River at Bladensburg, decent wildlife. For hiking we go to Greenbelt NP, or drive north, esp. Cunningham Falls and whatever we can reach short of driving to Frederick.

Seeker and Turtle Creek like this.
  7. Turtle Creek

Turtle Creek Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Welcome Seeker! Being called a Marylander is better than being a Balto-moron ;)

I pretty much posted my non-serial killer resume to you earlier :54:

Like I said, I am way south. But will I make an effort to organize a shed-hunt get together after hunting season in a central location. And I'll try to make an overnighter too.

Just get you a complete Maryland Flag outfit to wear to work on your very first day and you'll fit right in!!! :16: I told you that you will see a 'goofy lot' here in MD.

- Randy

8. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks Randy... yeah, I was up there all of last week, and was looking to see what they'd worked the flag into... Crab car decals... license plate... shirts... hats... My boss is local, as is her husband (Cecil-tuckians though). Most of my other co-workers are transplants though (Army contractor scum, like myself), so it's not too bad.

We'll be "there" this coming Tuesday, god willing and the storms don't get us.

Turtle Creek likes this.
  9. basher1981

basher1981 Adventure is out there!!! Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I am over Carol County. About an hour from Harford County. Gunpowder Falls is a nice park over that way. Elk Neck is great. Not sure about barbershops and what not on the side of town but I can tell you once you have an official MD Crab Cake you never have a maryland "style" crab cake again. Crab are coming in to my fav part of the season. The fall they are heavier and better IMHO. Id be down for a meet up if it gets organized at some point. Also @S.Gossman puts on Gosstoberfest every year and it is coming up and you will def want to hit that up from what I here. I havent been but Ive heard its a great time.

https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/gosstoberfest-2018.213181/

Seeker, Creaky Bones and Turtle Creek like this.
  10. The Pan

The Pan Ironwood Lover Supporter

Blog Posts:
    ..:dblthumb:..
    Small world. I grew up in Aberdeen Maryland. Right on Park Street near the police station at that time. I Googled my yard one time a couple years ago to look at the house I lived in that huge sycamore tree is still in the front yard, I left in 1981 so I can't answer your questions very well. I was 15. But we went to Chesapeake Bay a lot, my uncle loved the water and driving that Super Sport Camaro with the headlights out up the back roads to go to the special bars that are in the woods and steamed crabs all night and drink Jim Beam. I was his sidekick. He was a state champion arm wrestler.
    We used to rock climb at a place called Strawberry Hill. I always wanted to get into hang gliding. Some of the best hang gliding is there on the east coast in the whole country.
    I still want a houseboat!
    Welcome....:D..

Seeker likes this.
  11. Turtle Creek

Blog Posts:
    I agree! How about a MD Fat Crab Rendezvous? LOL: BYOCPG (bring your own crab picking Gossman ;) ) @Seeker could give the ceremonial ferro rod scrape to start my crab burner. Carve out our own custom 'crab claw batons' while they steam ... Deep fried Rockfish bites too? Could be epic! :30:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(sometimes bushcraft turns into watercraft in MD)

12. CCMDTrapper

CCMDTrapper Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Welcome, welcome, from another denizen of Carroll County!

Seeker likes this.
  13. basher1981

Blog Posts:
    I just moved to the area last year..... Where's the good spots to hike and get away? More private land out here then I was used to living next to the state park. Ive been the large lake in Sykesville.... can't remember the name and hiked around liberty reservoir.

Seeker likes this.
  14. basher1981

Blog Posts:
    Sweet!! Now we are talking!! fall is the best time for crabs anyway IMHO .... all fat and heavy getting ready for winter.

Turtle Creek and Seeker like this.
  15. CCMDTrapper

Blog Posts:
    Avondale CWMA can be a good place, but during hunting season, you have to have a permit to go on the property on any day hunting is allowed, Same with Sawmill CWMA. You can check the schedule here: http://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/Pages/publiclands/wmacentral_calendar.aspx (The "CLOSED" days are the ones you don't need a permit for.)

Morgan Run, just south of Westminster, off of Rt 97. There are some old farm building foundations back there that are very interesting.
    Here is the post I made about my hike there earlier this year:
    https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/a-few-hours-in-morgan-run.220085/

And also, check out the BCUSA Google Map in this thread. There are a few places in MD marked.
    https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/bcusa-bushcrafting-area-database-map-share.70617/

If you decide to hit Morgan Run, let me know, I may be able to join you.

Greg

16. basher1981

Blog Posts:
    Awesome!! Is the Avondale and Sawmill open for any hunters? I used to hunt the state aprk by old place. I didnt know anywhere out here so I missed last season and thought I would miss this season too. I hunt with a crossbow.

Also definitely will let you know about Morgan Run

17. CCMDTrapper

Blog Posts:
    You'd have to take a look at the hunting guide. I know archery is allowed at both (crossbow included), but I can't remember if both allow muzzleloader and shotgun.

Greg

18. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the continued input fellas.

We've had our "stuff" now for just over a week, and I finally unpacked the gear room and gun stuff last night... hung the bow rack earlier this evening, and my room is looking like home again... feels good to just touch all my "stuff" again.

Wife and I are headed out to Susquehanna State Park tomorrow for a short hike and to check out the alleged canoe launch there. Should be fun. The weather here is perfect... back in LA, I'd be sweating and covered in chiggers. It's been overcast and 70s, and should be cool through the rest of the year now. I really like this.

Had some crab soup at the Olive Tree on Beard's Hill Road at 22... excellent. That crab pot looks a lot like a Cajun crawfish boil...

I'm almost certainly going to the PA/NJ/NY meet up north of Philly next weekend, just for Saturday (on my way to NY for a week of canoeing, hopefully, work permitting). Any of you lot going?

Turtle Creek likes this.
  19. CCMDTrapper

Blog Posts:
    Just wait until next year, this has been an odd year. You won't have to deal as much with chiggers, more ticks and mosquitos that are big enough to carry off pets and small children.

Greg

Seeker and Turtle Creek like this.
  20. Turtle Creek

Blog Posts:
    Glad to hear you settling in. Can't make the meet up, we still have our trip planned for Saturday. I'll be walking (a non-hunting property) tomorrow morning down here .... will be looking for shrooms and a huge antler i could't find side 2 of last year.

Seeker likes this.
  21. Wesleypipesyo

Wesleypipesyo Scout

Blog Posts:
    Hey, I am down in Annapolis. I am always game for a camping trip. If you find a spot let me know. I end up driving a couple hours into West by God Virginia. Both hiking and kayaking. West by God Virginia is a great place. It is just a little drive.

Seeker likes this.