New Model vs. Old Model Woodsman

Discussion in 'Adventure Sworn Bushcraft Co.' started by NYWanderer, Aug 5, 2018.

1. NYWanderer

NYWanderer Scout

Blog Posts:
    Anyone have/had both?

Differences? Similarities?

I have an old model and it is in my top 3 user knives.

EldestFreeman likes this.
  2. Kyle363

Kyle363 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    EldestFreeman likes this.
  3. delkhouri

delkhouri Tracker

Blog Posts:
  4. EldestFreeman

EldestFreeman instagram.com/eldestfreeman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have both.

20180801_133241.jpg

Photo isn't very well taken, but I snapped it on the fly for Kyle. Just a comparison shot.

Honestly. You cannot even compare them. They are totally different knives. Would be like comparing a huntsman to a mountaineer.

I like them both very much although not a single common characteristic comes to mind between the two. Other than they're both awesome knives. If I had to choose between the two, I'd probably prefer the old model myself for woodworking. But for a general use camping knife, I'd go with the new model. Depends what I'd be doing with it I suppose.

Let me know if I can answer any specific questions. -J

5. AlexD

AlexD Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I happen to prefer the new model. It feels like they took a cast of my hand and contoured the knife scales to fit it. Great general use knife unlike any other I’ve used.
    FEB49C6E-6023-419D-B9B5-A088F4F95311.jpeg
    15534DF4-B775-4610-84B6-4A44D2BF9837.jpeg

6. mauiarcher

mauiarcher Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Cody replies to a previous similar thread (exert below). To me the new was a little like the classic without the pommel. I haven't owned the previous model but i am looking forward to Cody bringing back the old model or finding a good price on a used one.

"
    Vendor
    Good questions guys.

The new Woodsman is closer to Mors Kochanski's specifications by adding a continuously curving edge. In order to do this we had to make the blade wider at the base, which in turn created the small spot for your index finger to rest. We also made the handle a bit more comfortable by widening it out a bit.

The old design was heavily inspired by the Mora Classic. I really love the Mora Classic's reputation, in a way it is even more a staple for bushcraft knives than the Woodlore knife. However, it wasn't quite up to Mors specs. But that doesn't make it an inferior design, not by any means. So, just like some of you, the idea of dropping that custom-grade Mora style knife (which was our old Woodsman) bugged me a bit, so I'm strongly considering coming out with a new model, perhaps called the Traditional bushcraft knife, based off of the Mora Classic, even more so than the original Woodsman was.

If we get enough people interested we might go through with this. What do you think? Want the Traditional bushcraft knife as one of our next models? It's your call, we make knives for you. :33:"

Ragman likes this.
  7. hunterjrg

hunterjrg Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I recently picked up a new model woodsman. It really melts in my hand. Feels great with good ergos. Looking forward to putting it to use

8. Shrubjr

Shrubjr Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hey there Adventure Sworn team! I've been thinking that I want to try a skookum/mora style blade lately. I know you must get a lot of requests, but I've been thinking about a woodsman, and I think I've got a cool idea for one I'd like to share.

I would love to try an old-style woodsman in scandi-ground 3/32nds 3v, and some sort of fairly lightweight wood handle scales (birch, ash, walnut, cedar, cherry, something like that).

I think this knife would be nearly as light as my excellent little 3/32nds 3v cherry-handled Hiker, but with a more hand-filling long-days of knifework kind of handle.

What do you guys think?

9. Kyle363

Kyle363 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've only held one woodsman but I feel like it should be 1/8th. I have a 3/32 woodcrafter thats pretty awesome. I think AS should make a 3/32 puukko and that might be the perfect substitute for a skookum.

Shrubjr and OneTreeLeather like this.
  10. mjh

mjh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    [QUOTE="

I think this knife would be nearly as light as my excellent little 3/32nds 3v cherry-handled Hiker, but with a more hand-filling long-days of knifework kind of handle.

What do you guys think?[/QUOTE]

I had a hiker which I did like. Small little knife that was AS quality made. Have two old style Woodsmans, no intention to sell any time soon, one has been used while the other has not. Yes they are in a way a high end classic Scandinavian inspired knife---expensive mora or bruseletto type knife.

I bought a knife from BogdanS, a woodcarving set. Very close in size to the Hiker but with a more roundish handle. Hiker was 3V and carver was 01 but still I really only needed to keep one of them. I sold the Hiker.....the carver handle was better shaped for wood working.

You'll have to ask out there in bushcraft land if someone is willing to sell you an old style Woodsman.

Shrubjr likes this.