New Old School Writting

Discussion in 'Self-made Gear' started by werewolf won, Oct 7, 2019.

1. werewolf won

werewolf won TANSTAAFL Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Feathers have a lot of uses. They can be trimmed to form fletching for arrows and darts. They can be turned into fishing floats. They were used as symbols of heroic deeds woven into head dresses of the Native Americans. Down is a great insulator and is another type of feather. Parts of feathers are useful in tying fishing flies. They also can be turned into writing instruments.

Ink usually was kept in a bottle and transferred into a traditional glass blown ink well. The quill was stripped and the end was trimmed with a small sharp little knife to firm a nib. This pen has a lathe turned little holder— and rather than being trimmed to a nib this feather is modern with the end trimmed and a ball point pen insert slid into the quill.
    pen1.jpg pen4.jpg pen7.jpg

2. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Where is all the shelf stable bacon??? Supporter

Blog Posts:
  3. JohnP

JohnP Only the rocks live forever. Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    That brought back a forgotten memory. I made one of those when I was a kid. I used a feather from one of my grandparents tame turkeys, but wild ones were all over the place, too. If memory serves, I used just the insides of a pen. Yep, I was a very cool kid. Well, I thought so, anyway.

JohnP

freebirdfb, Jim L. and werewolf won like this.
  4. Sosteve

Sosteve Scout

Blog Posts:
    I am very fond of it

werewolf won likes this.
  5. Global Village Idiot

Global Village Idiot Scout

Blog Posts:
    Been decades since I've cut a pen nib from a quill, but the one thing I remembered from high school (calligraphy is a great hobby if you're a broke teenager) was that the "feather" part of a quill gets VERY MUCH in the way of good writing.

I lack the time, patience and camera to do a tutorial, but this guy does a really good job of showing the process, leaving the "knack" of properly cutting the quill up to you. I used to cut mine rather thinner - I liked smaller, finer styles of writing and besides, when I learned it was from a book as there was no such thing as youtube in the 1980s.