New property to hunt and trap - WOOHOO!

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Gathering' started by ozarkhunter, May 17, 2019 at 2:03 PM.

1. ozarkhunter

ozarkhunter Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Tuesday PM, a buddy and I went to look at a new property (380 acres) to hunt and trap for pigs. Land owner has owned the property for about 15 years and has about 4 people that he allows to deer hunt on the property. When we arrived, first thing the owner did was hand my buddy a key to the lock on the gate. Next we hopped in his Rhino and rode to "camp", where he has a metal building "cabin" about 80% complete for hunting/getaways. There are also about 4-5 camping trailers/fifth wheel trailers in the "camp" area. He handed me the key to a John Deere Gator and we headed out for the "25 cent tour" of the property. Over the property, there is an elevation change of up to 200', with some nice hills, ridges, valleys, fields and meandering creek.
    Having never driven a UTV, it was a blast for me just to ride around trying to keep up with him and my hunting buddy in the other UTV. We crossed the creek numerous times as we spider webbed through the property on various trails. Numerous times we pushed by downed trees across the trails, rode over smaller trees across the trail and generally drove around, over and through obstacles as if they did not exist. When he asked later what I thought, I told him he could have charged me just for the ride. We saw numerous fresh hog wallows just off of the trails. We found mud rubs on trees and pine trees "hooked" by dominant boars to mark their territories. The land owner commented that one of the big camper trailers was supposed to have been moved out by spring, but remained. He said that mice and squirrels had found their way inside. My buddy offered to do some maintenance on the trailer in order to use it as "home base" if we could do an overnight hunt here and there. The landowner said "there it is, you're welcome to it."
    He headed out and left us there with the UTV to explore or hunt, whatever we chose. He called my buddy the next AM and asked what we needed to get started... He offered to buy livestock panels to build a couple of corral traps. My buddy said, "20 bags of corn would be a good start". Land owner said "meet me at the Farmer's COOP (feed store)". Buddy is supposed to pick that up tonight.
    MIND BLOWN! Yes, there are still good people on this earth.
    I will be headed out in the AM to the property (about 30 minutes from my house) to clear some of the trees downed across roads and to hang a couple of bucket feeders and trail cameras to monitor for hog activity. The property has lots of hardwoods, cedars, pines and plenty of scrub timber/brush. There are areas flooded by recent rains. I noticed huckleberry bushes, wild blueberry bushes, blackberry brambles and wild muscadine vines. Land owner commented that they have picked buckets of wild muscadines over the years.
    I'll try to get pics tomorrow and in future trips. I'm still pinching myself on this one...

2. halo2

halo2 Typical Swamp Yankee Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That's very generous of the owners. Good luck!

fatcat55 and ozarkhunter like this.
  3. Swampdog

Swampdog Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    You lucked out big time, sounds like you will have excellent property to hunt.

Looking forward to your future photos and stories about your hunts, good luck!

fatcat55 and ozarkhunter like this.
  4. JeffG

JeffG Scout

Blog Posts:
    Wow! Good on you!!

fatcat55 likes this.
  5. fatcat55

fatcat55 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Enjoy your good fortune and keep us posted on the fun

6. Mr. Tettnanger

Mr. Tettnanger Supporter Supporter