"New" Things

Discussion in 'BUSHCRAFT CODGERS' started by backlasher, Dec 21, 2018.

1. backlasher

backlasher Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I saw a new Lincoln with a "new" push button transmission. It's supposed to clean up the interior without levers on the console. I had a 1956 Plymouth with a push button auto transmission. The shift panel was on the dashboard. It seems that some of the "new" things are just recycled old things but you have to be a codger to remember some of them. BTW this week I received my BK62 which is a pretty close clone of Kephart's knife, another "new" old thing.

2. PaPa K

PaPa K Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I think it was the Edsel that had them in the hub of the steering wheel? And I believe Tucker had a model with headlight that moved with the steering? Comes around goes around;)

3. Staleym

Staleym Methuselah's Cohort Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I had a 1964 Plymouth Barracuda with a dash mounted Push Button transmission selector. It also had a lever to put it in Park.

central joe, backlasher and Swampdog like this.
  4. JoeJ

JoeJ Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I had a 1938 Ford with a rubber 3 blade defroster mounted on the dash that would work in the winter if you didn't exhale - it also had a dead battery when I purchased it and still had that battery when I traded it - I think I pushed that vehicle half way around the world getting it started. My college roommate had a 39 Buick with suicide doors - several times people in the back seat just opened the door while on the floor puking on the running boards - driver had to hug the edge of the road or the oncoming vehicles had to mover over if the driver door was opened or hug the center line if the passenger door was opened. Yup, times were good in the early '60s.:56:

Sometimes a city cruiser would spot us, turn on the lights, we pulled over, turned over any alcohol in the vehicle and received instructions to go straight home - which we did!! as the other part of the instructions were if seen again we would be hauled to the clinker and the Dean of Men would be notified. Revenue Producing wasn't practiced much back then - we didn't have much revenue anyway.:2:

backlasher, central joe and Back50 like this.
  5. Back50

Back50 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Started out with a 1962 Ford Fairlane 4door with a 225v8and 4snow tires. You could watch the gas gauge drop as you drove it!

backlasher and central joe like this.
  6. central joe

central joe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I had the Dodge Dart with the same setup, and a '66 Barracuda. I loved that car, white with red interior. joe

backlasher and Back50 like this.
  7. wallflash

wallflash Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    When the “ new “ concept of tankless water heaters got going in the US in the 90s, my MiL has a huge laugh over “ Americans and their concept that they must have invented anything thats valuable “. She had grown up with tankless water heaters in England in the WW2 and post war era. They were much more concerned with energy conservation over there even 50 yrs ago, and just like with small engine sports cars they were decades ahead of America .

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    backlasher and Back50 like this.