New to AR15, buying Palmetto? Caution on rails.

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by TrespassersWilliam, Aug 8, 2019.

1. TrespassersWilliam

TrespassersWilliam Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I really like high value bargains.

I like my PSA freedom rifle. It was my first AR and building it was fun.

If you are considering purchasing an upper with a flat top rail and no front sight gas block.-- think carefully about what you might need it for.

I purchased a PSA upper with a 1913 picatinny rail milled into the upper receiver. No problem.

The hand guard has something that looks like a picatinny rail -- but when I tried installing a precision cut front iron sight -- no good.

The hand guards are a rough approximation of a pic rail. They are not mil std. 1913 picatinny.

...so I get to tear it down to the barrel nut and buy new hand guards with a rail that is within spec.

Consider this when comparing prices and add $150-$200 to the PSA upper if you want to use that rail for offset iron sights.

2. kid_couteau

kid_couteau Warrior Poet at Heart

Blog Posts:
    Hi
    I have one of those
    My Magpul sights fit ok
    I do not know if Magpul is Mil spec or not but they did fit.

TrespassersWilliam likes this.
  3. TrespassersWilliam

Blog Posts:
    I am using EZ accuracy sights

4. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Name brand isn't even a guarantee. When S&W first put their name on an AR they subcontracted out some stuff, such as the receiver. When they went in house their lowers were not quite milspec and the PMags at the time wouldn't fit unless you trimmed down the top rib. They've since fixed it. Unfortunately, I have one of the early in house ones. My understanding is that they would warranty it, but it wasn't worth it to me when I could just run standard mags.

5. Gruxxx

Gruxxx NRA Endowment Life Member Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    As a check, I'd throw a set of calipers on the rail to confirm that it's out of spec. If it is, I'd contact Palmetto State with that info and send the whole upper back for them to swap parts or completely exchange. From what I've read, they're good about standing behind their products.

dial1911, Gumbi, Paulyseggs and 2 others like this.
  6. TrespassersWilliam

Blog Posts:
    Thanks. I will give them a phone call.

I checked with calipers, but it is not even close. The dimensional differences are very obvious to the eye. The angle and thickness of the "<" triangle on the sides of the rail don't match the upper receiver.

The spec listing did not call out "1913 mil std"... but I am a newb and just assumed from the website photo.

Usingmyrights likes this.
  7. Tangotag

Tangotag Field Gear Junkie Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Will the EZ sights fit on any other rail? Check the spec for the rail cut on them too.
    EZ Accuracy, must not be a very popular brand. A web search came up with almost nothing on them.

Good Luck with PSA sending anything back to them will be at least a month time until you hear anything back. Getting your upper/gun back from them will be well over another month beyond. They have grown for providing cheap products which has a 2 fold consequence.

I had issues with my PA-10 and resolved the issues myself with other manufacturer products. After seeing how guys have gone months not hearing anything from shipping out for repair an obviously messed up gun from the start. Then they finally get the gun back and nothing changed, still having the same issues as send in for. A "PSA lifetime warranty" only makes sense if you can follow though on that. Considering the current climate, their going to be insanely busy selling with little time spent for repairs.

No issues with rails on my PSA guns though.
    IMG_5644.JPG IMG_5648.JPG

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    WillyC and TrespassersWilliam like this.
  8. WillyC

WillyC Scout

Blog Posts:
    Call them.They will pay return shipping but don’t be to surprised if they don’t send it right back and say there’s nothing wrong with it.Thats what they did with a upper receiver I had. The slot for the charging handle was cut too low if a collapsible stock was shortened the charging handle would hit and you couldn’t load the gun even on a A2 it would hit the stock.They said there was nothing wrong I tore it apart used another receiver works fine now . I think most of the time there stuff is fine but I don’t trust their CS I had several phone conversations with them couldn’t believe they sent it back not repaired

9. Paulyseggs

Paulyseggs Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Can the sights be modified to fit?

Modify the cheaper easier to replace part

10. TrespassersWilliam

Blog Posts:

I didn't pay for a premium rail system. It is my fault for not checking if it was "military standard 1913 picatinny".

The upper receiver is within that spec and just assumed the rail continuing past the receiver would be the same.

A rail that is within spec for future extensibility is preferable.

It isn't a total loss. I get to play around with a torque wrench and get practice as a low-skilled repairman.

I just hope other people don't make the same mistake/assumption.

Paulyseggs likes this.
  11. AdamD1776

AdamD1776 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Maybe bring it into a gunsmith/local gun store and have them look at it, then if you send it back you can use the "well, my gunsmith said..." line, as opposed to "I think this is wrong, what do you think?" Just a thought from previous warranty experiences with other products/brands. If you have input from experts, companies are more willing to believe you than if you just say that you think its wrong.

12. MAD Punty

MAD Punty Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I always buy a different handrail, anyway. It's just one of those things I do to personalize it.

Then again, everything I do is budget, so I'm not buying expensive handrails.

13. drobs

drobs Guide

Blog Posts:
    All uppers / kits (5) that I've bought from PSA have A2 front sight towers.
    I prefer them.

I do have a Radical Firearms pistol upper from Primary Arms that doesn't have a front sight tower. That's the least of its problems as it doesn't feed worth a crap. I'm still getting around to sending it back to Radical.

14. tomme boy

tomme boy Guide

Blog Posts:
    PSA will fix it if you are not satisfied. I have had to use their warranty on a 9mm AR and ended up with a whole new gun from them. AND they threw in one of their new drop in single stage cassette type triggers! Josiah is the man you need to talk to there. I have his cell # but will not put it on a forum. He will make it right for you.