New to kayaking bushcraft style

Discussion in 'Paddling' started by krflol, Jun 22, 2019.

1. krflol

krflol Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Over the past few years, I have been able to get my pack down to a Tarahumara and smooth it in the bush pretty successfully, in large part thanks to this forum. My wife and I got some kayaks as a wedding gift a few weeks ago and now I have more room than I know what to do with! Part of me wants to fill the space with food or something but that would amount to a completely unnecessary amount of food. I don't have any month long expeditions on my calander. Very much looking to do some kayak camping in the future, so I'm curious how some of you make use of the greater space and weight available.

20190622_180727.jpg

2. ezra45

ezra45 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Next on the list for my wife and I; looking forward to seeing replies...

Regards,

ezra

freebirdfb and krflol like this.
  3. FreeMe

FreeMe Guide

Blog Posts:
    If you have excess space, consider how that translates to more agility. The lighter your boat, the more agile and responsive it can be. Additional weight can be helpful in wind, but if you're married to it, can be a drag in moving water.

freebirdfb and krflol like this.
  4. krflol

krflol Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Fair enough, and I've been leaning that direction. Pending other recommendations I was thinking about putting a sort of bushcraft kitchen in there. Spices and cooking stuff that don't weigh a ton but I cant really justify in my pack . I could have butter for days in a safe dry place. I'm excited, especially considering how easy the fishing is from these things. I'm in Florida so additional 98.6 stuff is pretty irrelevant

5. FreeMe

FreeMe Guide

Blog Posts:
    Ah, Florida.
    So, if maneuverability isn't much of an issue, the only consideration might be to keep the weight low as much as possible. Keep plenty of water with you. I like to have it in containers that won't roll. Bladders are great, and don't have to be in packs.

6. krflol

krflol Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Makes me curious about what kind of filter system I could set up... I generally carry 2L max in the bush as water is everywhere. I either filter or boil or both. That may be cool to have something like that

7. Scotchmon

Scotchmon Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I’d still try to stay as light as possible as your boat (s)will handle differently with a bigger payload. Spreading more gear/food between two boats would surely make things easier for both of you, so upping the kitchen and shelter options could be the most appreciated gain in your loadout.

krflol and FreeMe like this.
  8. KFF

KFF Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sleeping pads, bugnet, FAK, kitchen and nice snacks is all I come up with.
    Oh and a decent night cap.
    Just by todays experience some good tools to get a deeply embedded hook out of ones hand.

krflol and FreeMe like this.
  9. hlydon

hlydon Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have loaded my kayak with a cooler full of ice, drinks, and food and then all of the comforts. I’ve had no problems when paddling across a lake. I’m using a 10’ sit on top kayak

krflol likes this.
  10. Ragman

Ragman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That's simple. BEER!

Primordial and krflol like this.
  11. FreeMe

FreeMe Guide

Blog Posts:
    I can go through 2L in one warm afternoon on the water. That's my minimum on board. If I'm camping, I'll pack it by the gallons, or bring a filter. I've used filter pumps for years, but I'm about convinced that I'd rather have a gravity filter. The one currently made by MSR is getting good reviews from people I know.

WisconsinEric and krflol like this.
  12. WisconsinEric

WisconsinEric Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have a MSR "Autoflow" and it works great and it holds a gallon, but MSR's newer filter is both gravity AND a hand squeeze pump. It should do everything my Autoflow does on shore, while allowing you to filter water while floating in you're boat too.

FreeMe and krflol like this.
  13. krflol

krflol Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Amazon listing says this thing filters 175 liters per minute when gravity feeding?? Even 1/3 of that would make me buy it just for that. In your experience is it pretty fast?