new to me, 77/22

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Swampyankee101, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Swampyankee101

Swampyankee101 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Just got a 77/22. synthetic stock but blued. Checked the # and it was made 2013. Super clean. I am installing a Bushnell 4 x 12 rimfire scope. I just hope it has a good trigger. I can do a project on that if I have to. If it will shoot along side my CZ 452 it will be a nice rainy day squirrel gun.

rmil, doulos, werewolf won and 10 others like this.
  2. southron

southron Guide

Blog Posts:
    Can I suggest getting rings that attach to your rimfire slots and putting something like a 3 x 9 scope intended for a high power rifle.

You could have it drilled and taped for regular mounts, but wally world sells one inch and maybe 30mm rings that use the typical rimfire grooves for attachment.

The degree of improvement will be dramatic.

The 77/22 deserves better than a rimfire scope.

3. Primordial

Primordial MOA #40 Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    They are a nice rifle but some suffer from accuracy issues. The prices on them have gone way up over the years. My old man has a stainless/syn stock one in 22 mag. My dad has an older one but his seemed to shoot good groups, if memory serves me right.

central joe likes this.
  4. Wasp

Wasp We are GO for Sting! Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Always liked the 77/22. Enjoy it. I would probably do a trigger job.

Cwlongshot and central joe like this.
  5. Wasp

Wasp We are GO for Sting! Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Why not go with the Leupold 2x7 with an appropriate parallax?

central joe, Bronco68 and southron like this.
  6. VtBlackDog

VtBlackDog Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Timney trigger for them, easy and awesome

central joe, kelpie13 and Bronco68 like this.
  7. cstrickland

cstrickland Scout

Blog Posts:
    I first picked up a 77/22 back in the early 90’s . It was a blues walnut stocked 22mag back then I believe it was around 500 if I recall correctly . I never did buy it but I have always thought they were nice . I still look at them now and then and think about it , but can’t justify the cost to my self.

I would also agree with a 3x9. Or at minimum a 2x7 scoop . I am not a rimfire scope fan .

Enjoy the new rifle with what ever scope you choose ..

central joe likes this.
  8. Kinggoat

Kinggoat Scout

Blog Posts:
    Good for you sir. I am sure you will have a lot of fun with it.

central joe likes this.
  9. 41magfan

41magfan Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have a early production (1985 / blue & wood was the only option back then) rifle in .22 LR that has always shot like a house on fire, but it came from the factory with a relatively heavy (5-6 lb), but clean trigger. That worked OK when shooting from the bench, but off-hand shooting suffered greatly. Some years later, Volquartsen developed an aftermarket target sear for the gun, so that took care of the trigger issue quite nicely. It shoots a number of loads under an inch at 50 yards and the good stuff will shoot groups half that size if you jerk the trigger just right.

I also have a more recent production rifle (blue & synthetic) in .22 Magnum. It too suffered from a mediocre factory trigger, so I did the Volquartsen thing on it before they stopped offering their target sear. This Magnum rifle is a bit more finicky in the accuracy department than the .22 LR but I did find one CCI load that will shoot between a half and three quarters of an inch at 50 yards.

Both rifles wear 3 - 9 x 40 Leupold VX-1 scopes. They're the Cadillac of sporter weight .22 bolt-actions, IMO.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    Rare Steel and central joe like this.
  10. OutnBacker

OutnBacker Guide

Blog Posts:
    Shot my friends' back in 1990 or so. Walnut stock with a 3x9 scope. At 100 yds it was so accurate I got bored, but that was as far as the range went. In contrast, my then new Ruger 77 International in .308 (full length stock) wouldn't hit the broad side of a barn at the same distance. Disgusting. I sold it.

Rare Steel, central joe and Gumbi like this.
  11. Bronco68

Bronco68 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Congratulations on the purchase.
    I picked one up in a trade a few years back. Very nice gun, and the cool thing is you can change the barrel in the same way as you would a 10/22. The factory trigger and barrel were ok, but after installing a Clark Customs trigger and a Green Mountain barrel it shoots incredibly tight groups with just regular CCI Minimags. Beyer Barrels also makes a chromoly lined aluminum target barrel with a factory barrel profile as well. :D

central joe, OutnBacker and Wasp like this.
  12. tree-ratsniper

tree-ratsniper Guide

Blog Posts:
    Congrats, you will love it! I've had a half dozen of them over the years (still have a few). My SS ultralite boat-paddle has probably killed more small game than anything else I own. Its my go-to rifle... I also have a heavy barrel version that will shoot in the .3" range @50 (to heavy to hunt with). I had a SS boat-paddle WMR that went down the road due to accuracy (still wish I would have held onto it)! My 77/22 Hornet is the "meat-grinder" varmint rifle, it started out with poor accuracy but will now shoot .4" groups @ 100 with the correct load...Love those 77s! :dblthumb:

central joe likes this.
  13. Mikem

Mikem Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    22 rifles can be ammo finicky, the 77/22 trigger can be heavy and there are fixes and replacement options. Putting rounds through helps to determine the rifles tendencies. I have a walnut stock grey finish long distance model that’s now threaded and shoots sub sonic with a click sound accurately and high speed 38 grain HP very well, the trigger needs work, but it’s on the project list. I have a Pride Fowler 2x7 mounted with the rapid reticle, works well.

Congrats!

central joe likes this.
  14. Tangotag

Tangotag Field Gear Junkie Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    A group of friends and I that hunt at a large cattle ranch in Montana have used a handful of early production 22lr 77/22s for years. They are setup all with off set center swivel rings and the original Leupold tactical scopes. This was way before 20moa scope bases were available. Lots of small game was taken at long ranges using these guns. We typically used 10/22s for the short range shots.
    If you setup down wind from prairie dog towns with 22lr you can shoot all day with available targets in a large dog town. If you use hyper velocity larger caliber the report drives them into their holes for much longer periods of time. Most guys had long range 77/22 and short range 10/22 gun when setup for the day shooting prone on one of the dog towns.
    From my experience using these early wood stocked 77/22s every one of those setup for this long range was incredibly accurate. One of the guys who goes to the ranch is a smith who bedded the guns and likely worked on the triggers before I got to shoot them.
    I've also have a Ruger 77mk2 nylon boat paddle stock in 7.62x39mm.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    Rare Steel, Wasp and central joe like this.
  15. 08H3

08H3 God, Family and Freedom Vendor

Blog Posts:
    if your set on a 4-12 scope, I suggest the Nikon Prostaff rimfire. Good enough on my 16" barreled savage to smack a squirrel in the head at 75 yards

central joe likes this.
  16. RobOz

RobOz Scout

Blog Posts:
    My 7722 uses the Ruger rings that mount to the receiver (rock solid). Also, the 4-12 bushy is a 1” tube full size scope calibrated for rimfire ammo.

08H3, Cwlongshot and central joe like this.
  17. RobOz

RobOz Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have had good luck with my 7722. Finding ammunition that it likes is key. The factory trigger ain’t great but can be cleaned up...i get by just fine. Good luck and congrats.

central joe likes this.
  18. central joe

central joe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Congratulations young fellar, I am sure you're going to enjoy it. joe

19. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot Guide

Blog Posts:
    40 S&W & 22 Mag fan residing in New England
    Fine rifle for sure! (As mentioned they can run a lil hot n cold accuracy wise.) I have owned all of then sans the 357, in 22LR and 22 Mag I actually owned two looking for better accuracy. Now they where not aweful, but less than I expected. One 22M was the stainless Varmint and after about everything one could do to a rifle to make it shoot san re barreling it... I got Federal GOLD 30G to shoot almost 1: @ 100 yards and I bought every box of that lott from the distributor. The LR's where standard blued walnut guns and my Marlin levers out shot them, My 15$ Springfield out shot them and they didn't come close to my Anshutz or Browning T Bolt LR bolt guns. BUT I still liked them a aweful lot. I tried the 22 Hornet and it was one of the WORST, trouble with tennis balls at 100 yards. When they came out with the 43 Mag I bought one. It was gonna be my ultimate CT DEER rifle! I bought a brandy new Leupold M8 4X Compact for the rifle. Many different Loads and bullet before I found a good load with a 270 Speer GD and 2400 powder. 2" at 100 was best and was acceptable for what the gun was.

What amazes me is that the cheap Ruger American line is dead balls accurate. SELDOM will you find one that DOSENT shoot! Not as Purdy and well built no one can doubt, but I have yet to see a accurate rifle that was not beautiful.

A rimfire scope dosent mean its not quality. Dosent mean it isn't made exactly as its CF counter part either... Sure there are cheapo rimfire scopes but then CENTERPOINT, UTG, & Barska CF rifle scopes too. :D:p:dblthumb::rolleyes:

What RIMFIRE means in a scope is parallax settings. it will be 50 or 75 Yards instead of 125-175 on a CF rifle scope. I will take a good rimfire scope on a rimfire ten times outta nine, thank you. :4::9:

Good luck with yours!

CW

08H3 and Wasp like this.
  20. Swampyankee101

Swampyankee101 Scout

Blog Posts:
    As it turned out the Bushnell was not working due to bolt clearance. I had a buddy to took it for his air rifle. He gave me an older Weaver 3x9 steel tube that worked great.

ezra45 likes this.
  21. fishiker

fishiker Scout

Blog Posts:
    I picked up one several years ago as a training version of my compact 77 in 308win. Both are topped with Leupold 3-9x40 scopes. It works out well except for the trip to the range when I carried the 22 rifle and ammo for the 308.

ezra45 likes this.