New to me ,Optimus 99 stove

Discussion in 'Cooking & Water Purification' started by riverjoe, Jun 29, 2019.

1. riverjoe

riverjoe You d Supporter

Blog Posts:
    A7686AEF-6344-40BD-A634-274B79096ED5.jpeg D0BAAA11-B688-4508-8824-914AFB40F19C.jpeg saw this at an auction today picked it up for 5 bucks . Seems all the parts are here . Doesn’t act like it wants to pump up.

Wonder if I need to oil up the plunger and loosen the l
    Allen screw on the fuel cap .

It says gasoline stove . I assume that is Coleman fuel right ?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  2. Haggis

Haggis Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Aye, Coleman or white gas

3. Haggis

Haggis Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Seems like it ought to light without pumping it. Burn some alcohol in the cup shaped bit below the burner,,, that’ll heat it enough to draw fuel and burn.

4. riverjoe

riverjoe You d Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @Haggis the plunger pushes hard . How does it force air in the tank ? On Coleman lanterns you have that knurled knob you can loosen up and then tighten after pumping .

5. Moondog55

Moondog55 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Might need a new wick in the fuel tube, they tend to gum up after being dry for a time, just like the SVEA123, might even be the same spare part too. To use that pump you need the same fuel cap as the SVEA, if it doesn't have the special cap it won't work no matter how hard you push.

6. Ephemeral

Ephemeral Tracker

Blog Posts:
    That is a most excellent deal, or steal you have there. Those stoves usually sell for a good bit more than five dollars.

Not saying you will, but before you possibly booger something up, go to this site for information on that stove, and how to rebuild it.

https://classiccampstoves.com/

The people there will tell you everything you need to know to get that stove running right.

7. Vilke

Vilke Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have a 99 also. The pump is for high altitude use only. To properly start this type of stove, I use 2 eye droppers worth of alcohol in the area where the bell meets the valve. Light the alcohol and let it burn until it goes out. This will preheat the valve causing the fuel inside to pressurize. Open the fuel valve with the key slowly and light the escaping fuel vapor. It should start to run as designed. Sometimes you have to preheat it twice is the temperature is cold to get the valve hot enough to pressurize the tank.
    If you pump it up at lower altitudes, it will leak fuel out of the valve and will flair up and be unsafe. I have never needed my pump that I bought for it. It just pulls right off of the fuel filler cap.
    Feel free to PM if you continue to have any questions. By the way, you stole the stove! $5 was on heck of a deal!

8. CSM1970

CSM1970 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I agree, heck of a buy! I would suggest you replace the fuel cap gasket, too. They get really hard and will leak gas vapors just before they fireball. Make sure you use something like Viton.

9. RavenLoon

RavenLoon axology student Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Nice stove. I bought one brand new many years ago. I paid more than $5. I have never used a pump on mine at all, just preheating. Alcohol is safer but I always just used a small amount of white gas to preheat, always outside.

10. Haggis

Haggis Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I have a number of stoves similar to yours, and a 99, but I don’t have a pump on any of them,,, as someone above mentioned, it’s a specialty thing, and usually not needed. Your stove, given that everything is in working order, should light easily with an alcohol preheat. Once the gas in the tank is warmed, it will push liquid fuel, via the wick, out to the burner,,, after that it will burn without the need to do anything more.

These stoves, when compared to Coleman stoves, seem almost too simple.

They may not burn as hot as some Coleman piggyback stoves, but they are tough, light, and for the most part trouble free. Maybe give them a fettle every decade, or two...

11. Vilke

Vilke Guide

Blog Posts:
    White gas works great to preheat but will soot up the bell. I use alcohol so I don’t have as much soot build up. Just a personal preference as I have worked hard to keep it looking clean and new even though it has been used quite a bit.

12. Vilke

Vilke Guide

Blog Posts:
    Don’t forget to remove the key once it is at your desired heat level or the key will get so hot that it will blister your fingers when you go to turn it off. Trust me on this one!

13. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have the Russian version. At least it appears very similar.
    What a steal at 5 bucks. Nice pick up.

14. central joe

central joe Wait For Me!! Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Ya stole that young fellar. joe

15. riverjoe

riverjoe You d Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I confess ,I usually don’t use camp stoves except my little homemade wood burners , but it had such a nifty design I figured you guys were familiar with it .
    I like the idea of white gas because I’d probably use it in winter mostly .

16. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Can you still use white gas, or unleaded?
    I thought I read somewhere... it might have been here... that today's unleaded is not the same as way back when and everyone was swapping the cheaper unleaded for Coleman fuel. Too many additives or something.
    I use Coleman fuel, but use these so infrequently a gallon lasts me forever. There's probably something to be said for that, too. lol.

17. 66drifter

66drifter Guide

Blog Posts:
    NICE SCORE!

these little burners CAN/DO boil water

Coleman fuel(and all the clones) or white gas or unleaded pump gas(in a pinch) they all burn and they all boil water...

the warnings about the additives' fumes making your babies being born'd nekkid toofless and bald head'd are true FOR ALL PETROLEUM BASED FUELS(don't cook inside even in your tent)

if you got one hang onto the little cleaning tool(if knot get one and hang onto it)

learn how to break it down and clean your jet

as for the WICK situation "i thought" this style was gravity feed and didn't have a wick(learned something new this morning)

1230980900-optimus_99_exploded_view.jpg

i'm also reading that more n more are taking a 2nd fuel container for priming w/ alcohol which i hadn't considered before

i always just used stove fuel and periodically wiped everything down to keep the soot issue at a minimum

lotsa learnin to be dunn on this forum ;-)

18. Paulyseggs

Paulyseggs Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    What he said!

I love my 99. Wish I could find a windscreen. :(

I don't use the pump. I prime with a short section of drinking straw. I stick it in the tank and take some fuel out.

I only burn Coleman or Crown white gas

19. Haggis

Haggis Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    https://m.packstoves.net/Optimus-Parts.html

Bobsdock, HK Forest and Paulyseggs like this.
  20. Paulyseggs

Paulyseggs Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  21. riverjoe

riverjoe You d Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the parts breakdown .
    So the aluminum pancake griddle is actually a wind screen .
    They must intend you to use alcohol for preheating since they call it a “ spirit cup “

22. PeterCartwright

PeterCartwright Guide

Blog Posts:
    You got the stove virtually for free! Great pick-up! I have a 99. It shares many parts with the 8R and 123R. All these stoves are designed to work by generating their own pressure from the priming cup under the burner. All will also work with an auxiliary pump, but the pump requires a different fuel cap than the stock version. There's a bit of a learning curve with these self-pressuring stoves, but once learned, they are nearly bomb-proof. Stoves sometimes require a bit of maintenance including wick replacement and sometimes even a replacement fuel cap. The stoves can over-heat if used with too large a pan/kettle. If the tank becomes too hot to touch, it's too hot. :) They may be "old school", but they're great stoves. Enjoy!

PC

Paulyseggs, Beach Hiker and riverjoe like this.
  23. Spork

Spork Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I use a dropper bottle of denatured alcohol to prime my 99. If I run dry, I can use it to suck a little gas out of the tank to prime.

There's room inside for the bottle. folding spork and original pot grip.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. riverjoe

riverjoe You d Supporter

Blog Posts:
    It seems to me that if I can’t pump air through the fuel cap then the check valve must be stuck . Would this create a vacuum in the fuel tank and stop fuel
    flow ?

Beach Hiker likes this.
  25. Spork

Spork Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  26. Moondog55

Moondog55 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    If the tank gets too hot that safety valve cap opens up and a jet of flaming fuel spurts out about 3 metres [ 10 feet] so use the correct sized pot. No bigger than the one show in Sporks post. I know this from a scary experience once and fortunately I wasn't cooking inside a tent or near anything flammable and I was to one side. Also it was the much bigger 111B so more fuel to spew out

riverjoe, snapper and Paulyseggs like this.
  27. snapper

snapper Guide

Blog Posts:
    Moondog55 is right about the safety valve sending out flames when the stove overheats. One of the biggest 4th of July fireworks events I ever witnessed happened on a winter trip in the Adirondacks. They guy overestimated the size of the pot needed. Not too long into his boiling time the entire stove blew off. Scared the you know what out of all of us :eek:!!! Thankfully we had other stoves and everyone was more careful with pot size and placement after that.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

riverjoe likes this.