New Year's Day Outing to an Old Favorite Place

Discussion in 'Outings, Trips & Expeditions' started by Pastor Chris, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Pastor Chris

Pastor Chris Keeper of the T.Darrah Tenkara Pass-Around Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend Hardwoodsman Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Jake and I decided to take a short afternoon hike on New Year's Day as the weather cleared a bit. We were discussing places to go for about 2 hours before sunset and suggested his old "Cabin". His eyes lit up and we were off.

We are incredibly blessed to live in a part of New Jersey that is surrounded by wooded areas, parks, and WMAs. This spot is just off the Patriot's Path trial network and is one of Jake's old favorites.

The "Cabin" is an area of a stream that has a little island, a few large downed trees, and lots of areas to explore. He named it this when he was about 5 years old and it still holds a magical allure for him, and is a place he would like to live, hence the name.

The trail was a bit wet going in:

[​IMG]IMG_1111 by Chris Scrivens, on Flickr

Lots of mosses around, and also old foundations of buildings long lost which adds to the mystique for boys of all ages.

This area is full of large yellow and black birches. We picked up a bit of bark for building fires at home later.

Finally arriving at the "Cabin" and the stream as it flows out of it downhill.

This brought back so many fond memories for him, most of which manifested themselves and whoops and hollers for joy in playing around on old familiar trees.

We found a spot in the miss of the cabin with some ominous claw marks, about 4-5 piles of bear poop filled with seeds and berries, and a hole of some critter along the bank.

As the sun was getting low and the temps dropping, we drove the long 10 minutes home and decided to light one of the sleeves of bark up in the fire pit. It smelled wonderful and warmed us on the outside almost as much as the trip warmed us on the inside.

Ernie Schwiebert wrote of "silent secret places" along rivers, and this is certainly one of this for Jake and me.

Thanks for coming along.

2. LazyPK

LazyPK Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Awesome :dblthumb:

Makes me miss the "Hobbit Hole" I used to play in when I was a wee lad. Back in the woods behind our house there was a creek and a big dug out area in the side of a little ravine. I camped out and made a lot memories there. Theres a neighborhood there now:(

3. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Always enjoy your TR's, especially when Jake is involved. He is growing up quick!

Pastor Chris and pab1 like this.
  4. GreenFrog

GreenFrog In the Forest Supporter Hardwoodsman Bushclass III

Blog Posts:
    No problem finding water. Nice outing.

Pastor Chris and pab1 like this.
  5. notoiletpaperinthewoods

notoiletpaperinthewoods Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Looks like a very good time! It reminds me of my grandma's farm, it was the most special place in the world for me growing up; felt like being in a jungle. Not to mention I was very eager to believe stories of Snipes and lions living somewhere out in the brush.

Great post @Pastor Chris!

Pastor Chris likes this.
  6. snapper

snapper Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for sharing your adventure. Your son is banking a lifetime of memories. Speaking from experience, shared adventures with my Dad still bring me happiness whenever I think of them. He's been gone since 1982 and I'm now 65 but when I think of our joint outings it's with nothing but pleasure; and maybe a tear of loss as he died so young.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper