New Zippo Fire Tools!

Discussion in 'Fire' started by Midwest.Bushlore, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Midwest.Bushlore

Midwest.Bushlore Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Okay, just wanted to drop a few pics of my recently acquired stash of Zippo fire gadgets!

I got a little carried away and ordered two of the EFK (Emergency Fire Kits) and one of the Typhoon Match Cases.
    [​IMG]

The Typhoon case is really sweet! It's even larger than the UCO Titan case. The bottom has a cap kind of like a rifle scope would and it covers the striker very securely.
    [​IMG]

It holds significantly more of the UCO Titan matches than UCO's case will. Here I filled it up with a little bit of wiggle room and even added a couple of sealed strikers. I'm not sure this is the load-out I'll use but I wanted to show that quite a few will fit.
    [​IMG]

The EFK is really cool! In this one I was spitballing what kind of fire kit to do, this is just one possible way to go. I added a small packet of UCO Stormproof matches, two strikers and six or seven Baddest Bee Fuses. The cap and the sparker wheel are both in my hand and each section is O-ring sealed. This is really well thought out product IMO.
    [​IMG]

I'll certainly tweak these kits with experimentation. The Typhoon case is really impressive, and I can foresee getting a couple more to build kits with. The Titan matches are borderline gimmicky- they do work very well but is it better to have, say, fifteen huge matches or forty smaller ones? I think the Typhoon case would probably hold maybe 25-30 regular UCO Stormproof while still leaving room for tinder and a Spark-Lite. With the EFK I haven't decided for sure whether to stick with storing a small handful of matches within or just going with a crapload of Tinder-Quik or Baddest Bee Fuses.

But both have a ton of potential, for sure!

2. DavidJAFO

DavidJAFO Keeper of the Clubhouse swear jar Supporter

Blog Posts:
    hello,
    Drool eye candy I do like :p lick. The Zippo typhoon match case does look like it could have a lot of potential for EDC kit. Thanks for sharing your finds & the heads up. @Midwest.Bushlore :dblthumb:
    Regards
    David

DomC, Zunga, MrFixIt and 1 other person like this.
  3. Midwest.Bushlore

Blog Posts:
    It's kind of deceptive when I show it full of matches because the Titan matches are truly gigantic! With regular UCO Stormproof matches you could probably fit almost two boxes in there. The EFK is more compact as and you can see in the pics it tapers towards the bottom. With just Tinder-Quiks I expect maybe fifteen or twenty would fit.

Lassmanac, Zunga, DomC and 3 others like this.
  4. saxonaxe

saxonaxe Scout

Blog Posts:
    County of Pembrokeshire, South West Wales.
    Thanks for that,Midwest.Bushlore, looks interesting. It's nice to have different options, and the Typhoon case certainly looks handy, I like the sealing cap over the striker idea. :dblthumb:

DavidJAFO, Zunga, DomC and 3 others like this.
  5. Corso

Corso Guide

Blog Posts:
    I wish someone would make these sorts of things a bit more pocket friendly

something more like an old vesta case

6. Faiaoga

Faiaoga Guide

Blog Posts:
    I really appreciate the information and the photos you have provided. The match case looks like a winner. :41:

7. Midwest.Bushlore

Blog Posts:
    I feel you on that one, but IMO there are already a good number of small, pocketable cases. I really like this one as a do-everything, bulletproof option for building a hardcore fire kit.

DomC and MrFixIt like this.
  8. Midwest.Bushlore

Blog Posts:
    I posted here about some stick-on Striker Sheets I recently bought from Amazon. Pretty good stuff, I left a brief write-up if you're interested. To see if it was worthwhile I tried it with a few different matches that I had one on hand, one of them being the Zippo Typhoon Matches. They did indeed work with the paper, but that reminded me that I was doing to do a short comparison.

Probably some of you have seen the video by, IIRC, Crazy Russian Hacker on YouTube. He did a comparison between the UCO Titan and the Zippo matches. If you haven't seen it go over and check it out! I didn't bother to do as thorough a test as he did; his is on video so not much point. But I did want to expand a bit on my previous comments and his results.

In a nutshell the Zippo TMK case is superior to the UCO Titan case. It's a little better sealed, larger and the sealed striker panel is pretty much the "mic drop" in the battle between the two. But the UCO Titan matches seem much better than the Zippo. You can see in the videos that they burn a bit longer but what you may not be able to ascertain from just a video is the intensity of the burn; the UCO Titan matches burn with a sheer ferocity that is probably unequaled by any other match. The Zippo matches burn okay, and for a pretty good amount of time, but compared to the UCO Titan their burn is rather tepid. About five seconds in one of the Zippos I tested ebbed to the point I briefly thought if might go out but it started burning a bit stronger towards the last third of the match.

IMO the Titan matches are simply superior to the Zippo. The Zippo ones don't suck by any means and I will certainly use them up while I'm out camping next time, but I wouldn't order refills. That said, novelty aside I'm not sure the Titans are really better in actual use than the regular UCO Stormproof matches. They're much larger and will burn almost twice as long- but are you better off with fifteen Titans than you are with forty Stormproof? I dunno, that's hard to say. If you have good prep and a good fire lay you should be able to get your fire going with the fifteen seconds of raging flame from a normal UCO match. In bad conditions maybe the longer, fiercer burn of the Titan would make a difference if you had the same amount of each. But then again, you could also use two or three standard ones, too.

At any rate, just wanted to share the results of my tinkering around with the two brands.

S.Decker, BBizy, DomC and 3 others like this.
  9. DavidJAFO

Blog Posts:
    hello,
    Typhoon match case, these are still unavailable in the UK :17: boo hoo.. sob.. sob..
    Regards
    David

MrFixIt likes this.
  10. DomC

DomC Retired Old Scrub Stomper

Blog Posts:
    I'm happy with Titan match case and matches I ordered from our own
    5col survival supply.
    Dominick...........

11. DavidJAFO

Blog Posts:
    hello,
    @DomC thanks for the heads up Bro, you may have something there. :45: Parcel Force Farce (Worldwide) & Border Control UK have restrictions on the mailing of lighters/matches. I'll contact 5col survival supply & inquire if they could supply the Titan match case minus the matches, as it's only the match case(s) I'm after. :4:
    Regards
    David

ExAF1N1, MrFixIt and DomC like this.
  12. Midwest.Bushlore

Blog Posts:
    My offer to send you one still stands, @DavidJAFO!

MrFixIt, DavidJAFO and ExAF1N1 like this.