Next knife purchase help

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by Justafigment, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Justafigment

Justafigment Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I recently purchased an Esee 4hm for myself and my son, and we love them. They feel great in the hand, mine doesn’t really get used as I am not able, but it is a way I can share in what my son is doing. He batons,feather sticks,and anything else that comes up with it. The only it doesn’t do is strike a firesteel due to the protective coating. We consider it an excellent knife.
    Recently we have been talking about adding an Esee pr4, rb3, or a mora carbon garberg to the fold and can not make up our mind. We read on here, and watch videos trying to decide, and ran across a Dbk knives video of an Esee 5 and 4 on YouTube and were really shocked at the ending. Are we missing something here, we have found them to be excellent knives but we are not experts.Has anyone ever had a problem with one holding an edge after batonning,we have not, is it different wood? Please educate us and help us decide between these three. Thank you, as always, you’ll are great people.
    Btw ... This purchase would be used for light camp carving tasks, some light batonning, striking a firesteel, etc.
    Thanks again.

2. HannahT

HannahT Firebug Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I haven't used the Garberg, but my stainless steel Kansbol seems pretty much indestructible (and makes an excellent firesteel striker).

3. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have not seen the videos you reference so I cant comment on them. What I do have is an Izula from circa 2008 that has been batoned thru untold board feet of various woods, skinned and disassembled numerous animals, and whittled enough shavings to fill a dump truck. With enough photos taken over time to back it up.
    I absolutely promise you I could push shave a 1" wide strip on my leg so smooth it would please a surgeon. ;) There is no reason I can think of that a 4 or 5 could not do the same thing, given the proper treatment if it's been dulled from use.
    I am a great fan of Esee's customer service and warranty, if I were going to purchase another it would be the PR 4. Classic Kephart shape, 90 degree spine, no blade coating, and a nice flat profile I find aesthetically appealing. :)

4. Justafigment

Justafigment Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thank you very much for both replies, I really appreciate it, I will take a look at the Kansbol. Secondly on the pr4 when you say no coating are you referring to the black oxide finish without coating or can you literally get it without anything on the blade. Also, the black oxide finish on it is food safe isn’t it?

5. SharpieB

SharpieB Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The ESEE5 is a love it or hate it Knife IMO. The blade grind bothers many people so there are lots of negative reviews out there. It is just too big and chunky for many.

I have used an ESEE6 for over a year and baton with it almost daily. It is the best batoning knife I have used. The ESEE 1095 holds a great edge and is easy to sharpen. I batoned with my 6 from May to Oct this year without a single sharpening. That’s hundreds of logs being processed.

Also, the ESEE warranty is amazing.

If you like the 4, I would consider the 6. Same size as the 5 but a better knife IMO. I have about 20 fixed blades and my main users are my ESEE 6 and ESEE 4.

6. Coryphene

Coryphene Guide

Blog Posts:
    The coating can prevent ferro rod striking. But removing the coating on a portion of the spine will make it strike a ferro rod easily. The Garberg in carbon or stainless is excellent (as are pretty much all Mora knives). If wanting to try out a Mora for much less $$, try a Companion or Companion HD (just a thicker Companion). Need to file spine for ferro rod striking but they are under $20 and every bit as capable as a Garberg.

7. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I had an esee 4hm. Just sent it off to the new owner a few days ago. Totally awesome blade and shaving sharp. I would trust that knife with my life if needed. The only reason I parted with it is that I am more into smaller fixed blades, or larger ones. The 4hm was in between the sizes I like.

The coating is food safe in use, I would think? Used mine to cut food with while i had it.

@bladesmith3 is who I got mine from. He can probably give you a lot more info than I can. :)

Skruffy, Justafigment and bladesmith3 like this.
  8. riokid87

riokid87 Scout

Blog Posts:
    If you really like the knife but for the ferro striking then removing a little of the coating so it will spark seems like the answer. Who among us hasn't modified gear to better suit us?
    Or just get a dedicated striker to keep with the rod. I've been told a small piece of hack saw blade works well. You may also find yourself always with a pocket knife that can strike as well.

Skruffy and Justafigment like this.
  9. Kona9

Kona9 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Buy a new knife if you want a new one. That ESEE you both have can be modified to have a sharp spine if you are so inclined. Using a file or even faster with using a belt sander. My preference is if you plan on sharpening the spine you might as well strip the coating on the blade. That’s what I would do.

riokid87, Justafigment and anrkst6973 like this.
  10. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I went over to Esee's forum and re-read some info on the black oxide finish. It's not really a "coating" per se, more like a forced patina similar to the vinegar treatment we do ourselves.
    As its used on their cleaver there was a discussion on food safety. The conversation goes that is that it is very hard, near impossible, to get a "food safe rating" ( legal term used by a commercial knife manufacturer) from the USDA. The regulations and required testing to prove your coating or finish is food safe are, or would be cost prohibitive from their point of view.
    As its a finish vs a coating the only way to remove is would be by sanding, removing a layer of steel equal to the depth of the finish. It will not flake or come off with a chemical strip.
    The members over there ( including some commercial cooks and restaurant owners) just said give it a good hot water/soap scrub to remove any oil residue and cook with happiness. No worries.

riokid87 and Justafigment like this.
  11. Justafigment

Justafigment Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thank you all for the advice and your knowledge, I would love it if our 4hms had the black oxide on them, but I don’t think I will remove any current coating. I am leaning toward a new toy to keep this one company and I do like the pr4 rather well. Thank you ankrst6973 for the education on black oxide being a form of a patina, I think this is the route I am gonna travel. I appreciate you’ll. You’ll are great!

anrkst6973 and Skruffy like this.
  12. Brommeland

Brommeland Scout

Blog Posts:
    Please consider two things regarding what I am about to post: First, I am a full time hillbilly living in the woods and have spent enough $ on knives over the years to buy a new Jeep. And secondly, each person is different and what works for me may not necessarily work for you. My advice, along with a dollar bill is only going to get you a cup of coffee off of McDonald's senior menu. In other words, while I have a ton of experience, I am not you - so none of it may even apply to your situation.

So, here goes: In my experience, a flat grind or sabre grind blade is a jack of all trades but master of none. A convex is a truly superior general purpose grind and a scandi is way better for wood working than any FFG or Sabre and will even edge out the convex slightly (for wood).

Given that, I have two knives that are my "go to's" : A Fallkniven F1 as a GP utility/hunting knife and a Carbon Garberg. Both will require a bit of edge work out of the box, but once properly sharpened either will smoke the Esee's at most any task. I cannot really put into words how well these two knives work for me, but in 50 years of searching, they're the best that I've found (again, for me).

Both are also uncoated and have sharpened spines that will throw a ton of sparks with a ferro rod.

Part of my problem with Esee products is that their handles truly suck. By the time that you rememdy that, you're spending as much (or more) money than you would for the F1, and the Garberg carbon costs about the same (or slightly less) as a stock Esee 4 - but is woods ready as soon as you sharpen out that stupid secondary bevel that they put on 'em.

One last piece of advice - go buy a few knives as you get good deals on them and try them for yourself. You can always move them on the Trade Blanket if they don't work out for you. This way you'll know absolutely for certain what is best for YOU. Good luck and have some fun!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  13. Justafigment

Justafigment Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thank you for the advice Brommeland, I have been interested in a carbon garberg for a while. Haven’t really seen a deal on one yet though.There is one in my future somewhere I hope.

buckfynn and Skruffy like this.
  14. fishiker

fishiker Scout

Blog Posts:
    I like ESEE knives and I believe I have owned or at least used every model they make except for the Junglas II. I have no serious complaints about any of them but the ones I still have are the Izula-2 and Laser Strike. The Laser Strike is not a model you read much about but in my opinion is the best all around knife ESEE offers.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  15. Ptpalpha

Ptpalpha Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    @Brommeland 's suggestions are rock solid; I've got my share of "mortgage payment" knives and an F1 is in my Amazon cart.

americanstrat98 and buckfynn like this.
  16. CSM1970

CSM1970 Guide

Blog Posts:
    So I finally read far enough into this thread to realize that the “firesteel” referred to is a ferrocerium rod. As there is no steel in a ferro rod, I call my flint striker a “fire steel” and the ferrocerium rod a “ferro rod”. Just so as not to confuse other old bushgeezers.

jasam and buckfynn like this.
  17. Justafigment

Justafigment Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Sorry about that, yes I did mean ferro rod. Also, I really appreciate all the help and advice. I ended up getting a carbon garberg with a leather sheath. Now I gotta figure out how to attach the ferro rod to this leather sheath.I would have thought Mora would have put a loop on this sheath for a ferro rod from the factory since it has a 90 degree spine. Any ideas?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018 at 1:12 AM
    buckfynn likes this.
  18. CSM1970

CSM1970 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Ranger band or paracord.

americanstrat98 likes this.
  19. Cp89

Cp89 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I dunno how to post a link to a different thread but @tobiism did a pretty sweet sheath mod for the garberg.

buckfynn and tobiism like this.
  20. tobiism

tobiism Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    buckfynn and Ptpalpha like this.
  21. Justafigment

Justafigment Tracker

Blog Posts:
    That is sweet! Thank you’ll, and great job on the sheath.

buckfynn likes this.
  22. RTDoug

RTDoug Scout

Blog Posts:
    And, there aint a hair on it after hot waxing....

americanstrat98 and tobiism like this.
  23. tobiism

tobiism Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thank goodness

americanstrat98 likes this.