Nice to find this place

Discussion in 'New Mexico' started by Baden Powell, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Baden Powell

Baden Powell Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    As I mentioned in the intro forum, I will be relocating from Oregon to the Alamogordo area this fall. Nice to find some "local" folks who appreciate the outdoors and bush skills. I grew up with hunting, fishing, camping and hiking, made it to Eagle Scout -- and to Philmont in 1968 -- got introduced to primitive technology over at PaleoPlanet, and look forward to learning new plants and materials to gather and process in my new home. Ancestors ranched in La Luz/Alamogordo starting in the 1880s. Wayland Canyon, in the Lincoln National Forest, is named for them.
    Years ago, friends and I organized a gathering in the southern Oregon Cascades that we called Bending Bow -- probably a lot like the one proposed for the Jemez Mountain site -- where we knapped arrowheads, shot our self-bows, made and fired some crude pottery, that sort of thing. The kids who came got a big kick out of throwing atlatl darts at a plywood mastodon I made with an open KZ. If I can ever find a photo, I will put it up.

2. NM_Coyote

NM_Coyote Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    @Baden Powell, Welcome! I went to High School in Cimarron and lived in Moreno Valley just west of Philmont. So I know that area well. Beautiful area! Looking forward having you as part of the discussion of bushcrafting in the southwest.

Coyote Ron

3. Baden Powell

Baden Powell Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Thanks Ron. I have been back to Philmont a couple of times as an adult, and can never spend enough time at the Ernest Thompson Seton Museum.

NM_Coyote likes this.
  4. redneckron

redneckron Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Howdy, I spent more than few years hunting the Sacramento Ranger District of the Lincoln National Forest south of CloudCroft NM. It should present you with some great experiences Bushcrafting. There are also thousands of acres for BLM land too around the area.

RedneckRon

NM_Coyote likes this.
  5. Kimber22

Kimber22 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Welcome to the state!

6. Bonekrakker

Bonekrakker Not a chiropractor Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Welcome from Alabama