NJ Bushcraft Tribal Gathering - May 5-7 Jenny Jump State Forest

Discussion in 'Outings, Trips & Expeditions' started by bobc, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Half Tread

Half Tread Tracker

Blog Posts:
    LOL! Pesky unseen powers are work again?

bobc and tabasco_joe like this.
  2. bobc

bobc Scout

Blog Posts:
    Interesting.....i'm thinking Mr Bob's "Intergalatic Famous" baked beans and kielbasa...done up in one of your dutch ovens.....beans will come pre made....so they just need to be heated up......this is not a meal to feed everyone who is attending, but about 4-5 people.....

if anyone wants in for the meal, post what you will be bringing and cooking.....need some sides.....i would prefer cooked on site things, not freeze dried stuff.....

Bob: 1 - Kielbasa and pot of baked beans...
    Tabasco Joe - could we shift the cornbread to saturday evening? dutch oven apple pie for dessert

Half Tread and tabasco_joe like this.
  3. Half Tread

Half Tread Tracker

Blog Posts:
    If we use the per person portion sizes of 1/4 lb main plus 1/4 cup side then that would equal 4 lbs main and 4 cups side. I can bring whatever the difference of kielbasa and baked beans. We have a Polish Market in Runnemede NJ, which is close to home. I'll cook them together on low heat at home then store the blend in large ZipLock bags. Heat -n- serve :)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    bobc and tabasco_joe like this.
  4. tabasco_joe

tabasco_joe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    We can do the cornbread for supper and I'll come up with another breakfast bread.

bobc and Half Tread like this.
  5. bobc

bobc Scout

Blog Posts:
    Sounds great....we need another side.....maybe warm Greman potato salad?....just a thought.....

Perfect.....maybe banana nut bread for breakfast with butter......just my 2 cents.....

Bob

Half Tread and tabasco_joe like this.
  6. Half Tread

Half Tread Tracker

Blog Posts:
    IMG_1036.JPG

Therm-A-Rest sleeping pad inside a fleece sleeping bag. A down throw quilt will be sandwiched inside between the pad and bag.

IMG_1106.JPG

My 35 liter pack. All gear goes in, and on, this pack for the weekend.

I'm going to use this trip as the proving grounds for carrying all of my weekend gear in, and on, a 35 liter pack. Partially similar to the Joe Robinet method (he can carry his gear in a 25 liter pack - more power to him). If an item doesn't fit then I leave it at home. Plus, I plan to test another DIY sleep system where I will use a down throw quilt inside of a fleece sleeping bag, but on top of a Therm-A-Rest sleeping pad.

Joe Robinet method:

The Adaptable Survival review of my pack:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017 at 11:39 AM
  7. bobc

bobc Scout

Blog Posts:
    now you're making me feel bad using my 10'x10' tent and cot....LOL......my days of backpacking in are over...been there did that for 19 years as a Scoutmaster and in the military .....but it will be interesting to see your system.....I really like seeing what other bush crafters are using......

do you still have room for the beans and kielbasa in your pack?....

tabasco_joe and Half Tread like this.
  8. Half Tread

Half Tread Tracker

Blog Posts:
    WOW! Scout Master and Military? I can understand. Now I know why you seek comfort when outdoors. Started in the Cub Scouts then worked my way up to Scout 2nd Class. Got out of Scouting at the age of 16 when our Scout Master told us that the local fire company needed volunteers (my dad was a firefighter at the time), so I joined as a junior firefighter to respond to fires and other emergencies. I was a firefighter for about 5 years until the Township Board of Fire Commissioners merged us with the adjacent fire company. Never did like the techniques used by that company so I resigned.

I'm building a Bug Out Bag. Given the extreme weather conditions over the last few years, and the disaster situations following, I want to fine tune a gear kit. The kit will allow me relocate to the local state forest (on foot if required), establish a base camp, then hold out until drinking water, electric, gas (heat), and security/safety are restored.

Baked beans and kielbasa? No problem! I think I found the solution (see keg) :)

Saint Bernard.png

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017 at 1:41 PM
    bobc, tabasco_joe and NJHeart2Heart like this.
  9. tabasco_joe

tabasco_joe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    My bug out bag is copper colored, has 4 wheels, and says RAM on the side.:D

I still need to try out my hammock now that I have some RLS medication. That and avoiding caffeine after about 5 PM may work. Maybe I'll throw it in the truck, err bug out bag, to try.
    I think I'll also pack up one pack as if backpacking to test as well. If the weather cooperates this will be a good place to test 3 season gear.
    I'll bring a big bag of charcoal since I don't know the firewood situation there and I don't want to haul any "foreign" wood to the park.

Half Tread, NJHeart2Heart and bobc like this.
  10. bobc

bobc Scout

Blog Posts:
    my bug out bag is "Flamingo Red" according to the manufacturer and also has 4 wheels....last year I started to upgrade my gear and settled on a mountainsmith lumbar pack.....works for me on day hikes....

maybe we can have a gear show and tell and see some unique or hand made items from other bushcrafters......I'm excited to see Tabasco Joe doing his Dutch oven thing.......

11. Half Tread

Half Tread Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hammocks? Found this interesting video taken at JJSF:

tabasco_joe, bobc and Pastor Chris like this.
  12. Pastor Chris

Pastor Chris Hardwoodsman #7 Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
  13. Half Tread

Half Tread Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Mountainsmith? I've used the "TLS Tour" as my EDC (work/home) for over 3 years now. Love it! I'm guessing you have the "TLS Day". A great pack for minimalists.

bobc likes this.
  14. Half Tread

Half Tread Tracker

Blog Posts:
    tabasco_joe, bobc and Pastor Chris like this.
  15. Pastor Chris

Blog Posts:
    Ill bring at least one for lounging during the day, but since Jake and Michelle are coming, I think we will be in the tent together. Not exactly sure though.

16. Half Tread

Half Tread Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The body is the only heat generator when the sun has set and the campfire diminishes - a no brainer right? I experienced what I will call the "Mechanics of Breathability" during the trips in January and March.

The March trip at BTBSF is when I first used my hammock. Setting up the gear went without a hitch, in fact I assembled the sleep system using the typical sequence. The sleeping pad went into the hammock first, then followed by the fleece sleeping bag as the next barrier, then finally the 20 degrees sleeping bag. So I should have stayed warm right? Nope, because what I didn't understand at the time was breathability. Since my body was the only heat source I neglected to remember to control the body heat being emitted. The heat was lost when the small amount of cold air slowly but steadily came through the top opening, the fabric, and insulation of the sleeping bag. Sleeping bags are designed for limited breathability. Waking up at about every 2 hours to generate more body heat to keep warm was proof enough that I needed to rethink this situation.

Reaching my awake time limit, and in a state of stupor, I decided to change the assembly a few hours before sunrise. The sleeping pad was inserted into the fleece sleeping bag, then that subassembly was inserted upside down into the 20 degrees sleeping bag. So what happened? I was able to keep warm and comfortable because the body heat was contained within the air space outside my body but within the air space inside the sleeping bag due to the fleece sleeping bag / sleeping pad arrangement. Saturday night / Sunday morning was almost a perfect restful time asleep ( hey! nature calls :) ).

I'll be applying the same principles at JJSF, but using a down throw quilt on the inside, which will take the place of the sleeping bag on the outside. A.K.A., contain and control the body heat. Hence, the "Mechanics of Breathability".

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017 at 4:26 PM
    tabasco_joe, bobc and NJHeart2Heart like this.
  17. NJHeart2Heart

NJHeart2Heart Backyard Bushcrafter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @Half Tread what a great experiment report! My only question is how did your bottom side do, since you moved everything above you? Did the sleeping bag keep your bottom side warm enough even with the compression?

18. Half Tread

Half Tread Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hello @NJHeart2Heart ! My bottom side was on and against the sleeping pad, which is non-breathable, keeping the warm air trapped outside that part of the body.

bobc likes this.
  19. MommaJ

MommaJ Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Aww don't feel bad I'm bringing a couple true comfort items like my Coleman coffee maker and food is definitely not going to be freeze dried

20. NJHeart2Heart

Blog Posts:
    Hmm. need clarification.. The above leads me to believe that the sleeping pad was ABOVE you, not below you...You said above that you inserted the pad which was inserted into the fleece bag UPSIDE DOWN... It's the "upside down" that is tripping me up. Do you mean instead of the pad being outside the fleece bag, it was inside the fleece bag, BUT still underneath you?

I really want to understand, as I am anxious to have a successful overnight despite cold early mornings, and this sounds like an effective approach.
    The point being that you needed your body to be closer to the reflective nature of the sleeping pad (with no extra fabric layers in between) in order for the pad to take advantage of your body heat to maintain temperature.

Though not precisely your situation, here is an interesting video experiment that touches on what you were figuring out for yourself:

ReallyBigMonkey1 "The proper use of Mylar..."

bobc likes this.
  21. Half Tread

Half Tread Tracker

Blog Posts:
    IMG_1038.JPG
    Attached is a photo of the final assembly. "Upside down" meant the opening of the fleece sleeping pad was down at my feet. The reverse orientation prevented the fleece sleeping bag from bunching up as I slid into the 20 degrees sleeping bag. My backside was against the subassembly shown as the forest green color. You are correct: "... the body to be closer to the reflective nature ..." (containing the body heat).

Almost like the NEMO Sleeping Bags:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017 at 6:07 AM
    bobc likes this.
  22. Half Tread

Half Tread Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I enjoyed watching the Mylar video. Use Option A Modified. Body to be on top of Mylar instead of being inside.

NJHeart2Heart and bobc like this.
  23. Half Tread

Half Tread Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Afterthought: I can do a "Show-n-Tell" on Friday if you're interested.

tabasco_joe and bobc like this.
  24. bobc

bobc Scout

Blog Posts:
    i am definitely interested in a show and tell....have been thinking of getting into hammock camping.....depending if my back can handle a hammock.....that way i wouldn't have to haul a lot of stuff around....tent, cot etc.....

bob

tabasco_joe and NJHeart2Heart like this.
  25. Half Tread

Half Tread Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hello @bobc, I'll be using my hammock at JJSF. Basically the same setup I used at BTBSF. Due to warmer temperatures, I'm going to use a down throw quilt instead of the 20 degrees sleeping bag. But I'll bring the 20 degrees sleeping bag for the "Show-n-Tell". See you soon:) .

tabasco_joe and bobc like this.
  26. bobc

bobc Scout

Blog Posts:
    @Half Tread
    show and tell with hammock systems will be very appreciated......thanks....

Half Tread likes this.
  27. NJHeart2Heart

Blog Posts:

AHHH! That makes sense now :)

Half Tread and bobc like this.
  28. NJHeart2Heart

Blog Posts:
    Yes, my thoughts too, relating to your particular set up.

I'd like that! I'd like even better to try laying in it myself.. just to feel what it's like.

You and me, "bad back buddy" :)

tabasco_joe, Half Tread and bobc like this.
  29. bobc

bobc Scout

Blog Posts:
    maybe we should have a therapist on site for massages on Friday......if we can take a spin in a hammock, that would be appreciated......

tabasco_joe, MommaJ and Half Tread like this.
  30. NJHeart2Heart

Blog Posts:
    hehehe :)

31. bobc

bobc Scout

Blog Posts:
    @2jka
    @GreenFrog
    @Half Tread
    @MommaJ
    @NJHeart2Heart
    @Pastor Chris
    @tabasco_joe
    @The Tree Frog
    @Wolfcri

i just want to give everyone an update.....check in time is 12 noon on Friday....and check out time on Sunday is 12 noon....i have an ez up that i can put over a table, or part of one, depending on the table size......does anyone else have tarps etc, that we could set up?.....i am looking forward to seeing everyone and having a great weekend......

Bob

Pastor Chris and Half Tread like this.
  32. Pastor Chris

Blog Posts:
    We will be there at noon on Friday through Saturday late afternoon or early evening. I'll bring a few tarps that can be set up if needs be.

33. bobc

bobc Scout

Blog Posts:
    thanks...appreciated.....will you have some our the world famous "Pastor Chris Birch Tea?"

34. Pastor Chris

Blog Posts:
    Depends upon how busy things are between now and then. I will endeavor to.

tabasco_joe, bobc and Half Tread like this.
  35. NJHeart2Heart

Blog Posts:
    @bobc
    Since I can only come on Friday, I won't be able to provide shelter this time around. Looking forward to visiting with everyone!
    Dawn

36. NJHeart2Heart

Blog Posts:
    @bobcSince I can only come on Friday, I won't be able to provide shelter this time around.

I may try to get there early to take a hike. If anyone is thinking the same let me know and maybe we can connect.
    Looking forward to visiting with everyone!
    Dawn

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017 at 9:57 AM
  37. MommaJ

Blog Posts:
    I will be there with Emma sometime Friday eveningish. She has chool until 2:30 and then might have to take oldest daughter to work before heading out. And then staying until Sunday.

bobc, Half Tread and NJHeart2Heart like this.
  38. bobc

bobc Scout

Blog Posts:
    thank you.....i went to Teavana and bought some herbal tea.....i will bring that with me to have you try it.....

@MommaJ.....looking forward to meeting you and your family.......

@NJHeart2Heart.....maybe some hiking and tenkara.....

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017 at 11:57 PM
    Half Tread likes this.
  39. The Tree Frog

The Tree Frog Tracker

Blog Posts:
    My son and I will be there on Friday through Sunday. I may possibly have my other son with us as well.

By the way, we will be in hammocks and can do a show and tell of a couple types of hammocks and quilts sets and tarps. I also have an extra tarp if needed.

Is this a BYOFood type deal?
    Any other costs involved?
    Drive up or hike in to camp?

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017 at 10:25 PM
    tabasco_joe, bobc and Half Tread like this.
  40. MommaJ

Blog Posts:
    Look forward to meeting you as well

41. bobc

bobc Scout

Blog Posts:
    @The Tree Frog
    this is a byo food for your group.....for pastor ćhris and myself who have pre paid for the campsites $60 each night....a contribution to offset our costs would be appreciated......I have never been to the site...I would assume drive up, as I have a tent etc....see you there and I look forward to meeting you..

Bob

Half Tread and The Tree Frog like this.
  42. The Tree Frog

The Tree Frog Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the info Bob. Do you have a PayPal account? If not I will contribute when we meet.

43. bobc

bobc Scout

Blog Posts:
    @The Tree Frog
    sorry no pay pal account....when we meet works for me...

Bob.

Half Tread likes this.
  44. bobc

bobc Scout

Blog Posts:
    @tabasco_joe

I'm sure you have seen this dutch oven chart...but i'll post if anyway....i keep thinking jalepano cornbread and apple pie.......

[​IMG]

Bob

45. The Tree Frog

The Tree Frog Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I love jalapeño corn bread! Apple pie ain't bad either.

46. Half Tread

Half Tread Tracker

Blog Posts:
    IMG_1136.JPG

Packed -n- Ready! Just add food and water.