No more cowboy coffee

Discussion in 'Cooking & Water Purification' started by Matthew Post, Aug 3, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Matthew Post

Matthew Post Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I’m sure the purists will cringe but I always get grounds in my cup when I make cowboy coffee. I was considering packing a French press but I decided to give this unit a try. I’m usually pretty sceptical of gimmicky appliances but this thing is actually great. It’s called a brew buddy. It weighs nothing and I don’t get grinds in my coffee anymore

Attached Files:

2. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Hey what ever works for you. I think I need to see if I have enough grounds for my moka pot. If not I'll be having cowboy coffee.

3. JohnP

JohnP No more half measures Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    You suppose to have grounds in your coffee. They go down pretty easy. That’s how grandpa taught me anyway.

JohnP

Thorns, Luzster, snapper and 10 others like this.
  4. Paul Foreman

Paul Foreman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sellers, Alabama, in South Montgomery County
    i don't like chewy coffee, either. i'd rather chew roasted beans ... :)

5. greg_r

greg_r Tracker

Blog Posts:
    No more cowboy coffee for me either. I did buy the Stanly French press and I really like it.

Chewy coffee! Love it! I don’t like grounds in my coffee either, but I will eat the whole toasted bean....go figure!

That brew buddy actually looks pretty neat. I’m guessing you just heat the water and pour it through?

Pharmer, MrFixIt, Beach Hiker and 5 others like this.
  6. Outdoor Dauber

Outdoor Dauber Roughian #3 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I haven't had grounds in my coffee since I started drinking tea! :D

I used to use a french press travel mug.

7. GreyOne

GreyOne Elder Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Small piece of nylon window screen over the cup when you pour takes the grounds out of cowboy coffee, then you can add them to your gravy.

8. Moe M.

Moe M. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    To each his own, personally for me as a minimalist camper an extra piece or pieces of brewing kit is money wasted and bulk plus weight added to my pack that I don't need or want, but I agree with you about coffee grounds being a bit undesirable first thing in the morning or any time really especially when your don't need to deal with them.
    How I avoid them is to use a neat product that's I've been using for well over 20 years, it's offered by Maxwell House Coffee, it's regular drip coffee sealed in pre measured filter bags, each bag will make up to six 10 ounce cups of coffee and come packed eight bags to the box, it comes in a square blue box with yellow lettering bearing the Maxwell House Logo.
    You simply fill your Bush Pot, coffee pot, whatever with up to 6 cups of cold water, drop in a coffee "bag" and bring it to a boil, take it off the heat and let it steep for a few minutes for weaker coffee and for about 10 minutes if like me you like your coffee full flavored.
    When ready you can pull the bag out or leave it in, but it'll get stronger the longer you let it steep, you can toss the bag in the fire or rip it open and spread it on the ground to enrich the soil, or you can let it dry and reuse it one more time, just let it steep longer.
    But, best of all, no more coffee grounds in your teeth.
    The premeasured coffee bags are about a buck more than a can of regular ground Maxwell house coffee, and if you keep the bags in a baggie in your freezer they'll last for a couple of years, just take however many you figure you need out before leaving for your trip.
    They don't take up any more room or add any more weight to your pack than the coffee you would normally carry, it makes great coffee and it's a lot better than instant, and you can buy it at any super market in the coffee section.

Just something to ponder.

9. Paul Foreman

Paul Foreman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sellers, Alabama, in South Montgomery County
    yep, that or instant ... :)

10. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Where is all the shelf stable bacon??? Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I use a Muslin bag, the are 3 X 4 100 pack is like $5. I put my sugar and grounds in it and use it like a tea bag. The sugar dissolves, the grounds stay put. Life is good.

Philly-Billy, Pharmer, JV3 and 12 others like this.
  11. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    That would be be great for filling a thermos. The one thing that I don't like about cowboy coffee is cleaning out the grounds. These bags make cleanup non existent.

But anymore before going out I make a pot of extra strong coffee and fill the thermos. I can heat up half a cup of water and then fill it with what is in the thermos. and once the thermos get half empty, bring a pot of water to a boil and then add it back to the thermos. Easily two to three days of coffee in one thermos.

12. Moe M.

Blog Posts:
    Call me a food snob, I probably deserve it, I grew up in a house that served real brewed coffee, after going out on my own I didn't have the time or inclination to mess around with picking the right coffee, getting the best coffee maker, or cleaning up after myself especially when camping or fixing a hot cup of joe when hunting or fishing, instant was my go to until I started into period reenacting and attending meets and "vous'e".
    Since that time I've learned how to make really great coffee (at least to my taste) and can't imagine ever going back to Instant (imitation) Coffee. :8:

13. JohnP

Blog Posts:
    Coffee grounds in gravy?! Genius!

JohnP

Pharmer, MrFixIt, Beach Hiker and 3 others like this.
  14. Outdoor Dauber

Outdoor Dauber Roughian #3 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Do you have a link for these? Thinking about loose leaf tea...

Pharmer, MrFixIt, Beach Hiker and 5 others like this.
  15. JAY

JAY Guide

Blog Posts:
    I always pour some cold water, from a couple feet in height, into coffee pot to settle grounds to bottom, and throw out the last sip from cup.

Thorns, Pharmer, Bush Billy and 6 others like this.
  16. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Where is all the shelf stable bacon??? Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Pharmer, MrFixIt, Beach Hiker and 6 others like this.
  17. FTG-05

FTG-05 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Learn to do it right:

No offense. ;)

18. P40

P40 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have been doing something like cowboy coffee/brewing in a main pot, then pour it through a filter thing similar to the OP into my coffee cup.

Pharmer, freebirdfb, MrFixIt and 2 others like this.
  19. riokid87

riokid87 Scout Banned

Blog Posts:
    I just use a small 9 cup or so coffee perculator for cooking and coffee making. You can find them in aluminum, SS, steel w/enamel, with bails to hang them and or handles ranging from $15 (wm, Amazon) to $90 (cabelas campfire coffee pot).
    Good coffee is important to me and I can boil water or make soup on any pot. And they have lids and a spout.

20. riokid87

riokid87 Scout Banned

Blog Posts:
    Reminded me, once I left the 1/2 full 12 cup enamel coffee pot sitting on a big flat rock next to the coals while I walked down to the bank and fished a while. When I returned I found that the coffee all boiled away and the pot melted down a bit too much to salvage.
    Sad face.

21. BradGad

BradGad Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    For the past decade, I’ve been drinking tea rather than coffee at home in the woods, so please don’t think I am passing myself off as any kind of expert.

Anyway, check this out... I first heard about in a podcast (The Paul Kirtly Podcast, I think, but not sure), but here’s a YouTube.

Ragman, Pharmer, freebirdfb and 5 others like this.
  22. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have a temperature sensitive mouth ( been scalded a few times) and can't take strait coffee, or hot chocolate without crème and sugar .
    I use to could drink coffee all evening and go right to bed and sleep like a stone till morning 6 hrs max.
    now days I avoid caffeine at night and drink only water .
    As for making coffee in the woods , a paper coffee filter tied with a string with a measure of coffee and no worries of grounds at all.
    Making coffee for 100+ people every morning I put egg shells and a pinch of salt in the urn and it was all gone before breakfast was over. when I didn't make the coffee an old lady was in charge and refused to put egg shells and salt in the urn and almost NO body would touch it but her .

23. slysir

slysir Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The night crawlers in my fridge love coffee grounds. They eat 'em up like candy. I can keep them alive for months on just coffee grounds. :rolleyes:

-John

Pharmer, freebirdfb, arleigh and 2 others like this.
  24. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I do like my coffee, but not with grounds floating around in it.

Enjoying coffee is more than just the taste. It's the whole experience of it.

Thinking about it.
    Getting the stuff ready.
    Making it.
    The aroma as it is brewing.

Then the drinking of it. :)

I like to make mine different ways. I have found the Chemex system and the Aero Press to be the best for me.

Jakuka, Pharmer, freebirdfb and 6 others like this.
  25. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    What you say is true John. It is very much like smoking a pipe. The entire experience is, taken as a whole, just a relaxing one.

Thorns, Jakuka, beacon and 9 others like this.
  26. Matthew Post

Matthew Post Tracker

Blog Posts:
    No can do mate. Once you grind your own fresh beans you can never go back to maxwell house

Thorns, Jakuka, Pharmer and 4 others like this.
  27. Muleman77

Muleman77 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have a few of those. And a couple other similar that are more of a rigid basket. Not remembering names, but I have seen where a few others on here have said they use it as well.

I like it, they work good. Even at home its handy and fast, especially to make a single cup or two with.

I have drank many gallons of cowboy coffee, from excellent to horrible. I can make a good batch. It comes out better if it's at least 6 or 8 cups.

One thing I've noticed that makes it rough is if you get it boiled to fast. Seems better to bring it up from cold at about medium heat.

I put the coffee in on top of the water,dont stir. Watch for the grounds to finally roll over into themself a couple times right before it hits a rolling boil, and right then take it off the direct heat or turn it way down and let it just barely simmer a few minutes. Then off to the side and stand a few more. Add cold water and not to many grounds get in the cup. It takes a little attention and quite a few minutes but the coffee is smooth and most folks really seem to like it.

However you do it, there's a lot of room for error, once you get a good procedure follow it!

The single cup thingy makes life easy and you can be drinking a good cup before you even get the big pot all put together.

28. greg_r

greg_r Tracker

Blog Posts:
    So true!

freebirdfb and MrFixIt like this.
  29. leghog

leghog Guide

Blog Posts:
    With cowboy coffee the once you settle the grounds with a bit of cold water, the trick is to not disturb the pot while slowly a gently skimming the coffee from the surface. That said, cowboy coffee is best for larger groups using a larger pot. Army cooks did it for decades without getting grounds in the cup. Soldiers wouldn't have tolerated grounds in their cups.

Pharmer, freebirdfb and MrFixIt like this.
  30. Moe M.

Blog Posts:
    I do grind my own beans, and use good quality beans, I have several different make electric grinders and a vintage hand grinder that still works well, at home, but on the trail or in camp I use the Maxwell House coffee bags, while it may not be artisan coffee, it beats the snot out of any instant coffee.
    What generated my first post wasn't the quality of one's choice of coffee brand but rather how it's made, the OP couldn't stand coffee grounds and admittedly not very many folks do, personally I don't have a problem with cowboy coffee, but using the coffee bags just takes brewing decent coffee in camp to an easier level.
    I suppose I could get a better tasting cup of coffee if I used a manual coffee grinder, carried fresh designer beans, and used a French press or other inventive coffee maker, but then my pack would no longer be minimalist would it ?

31. Moe M.

Blog Posts:
    To take this post a step further, there's good reasons why people spend extra bucks on specialty brands of coffee beans and pre ground coffee, search out new designs in coffee makers and presses to brew what they believe will be a better cup of coffee.
    But, in my opinion most of those reasons result more in making the person brewing the coffee feel that their coffee is superior than it actually brews a superior cup of coffee, talking from experience (I can be a slow learner at times), I've done a lot of experimenting with coffee and coffee making, I've found that using the right water and brewing at the right temperature is just as important as the brand and type of coffee that you purchase.
    I've also come to the understanding that one can purchase reasonably good coffee off the shelf at the Super Market, usually most mid priced coffee brands will produce good coffee providing one use the right water and brew at temps that won't burn the coffee, I don't buy store brand coffee, but most name brands will make decent coffee, I don't buy the high end $12.00~$14.00 a pound coffee either, most aren't any better than the mid priced coffee offerings.
    My experience has been better with fine ground coffee rather than the course or medium grind coffee, it seems to extract more flavor from the grounds using less coffee ground per cup, Regular grind coffee usually calls for a measure of three heaping teaspoons per 6 ounce cup, most good fine grind coffee calls for two teaspoons per 6 ounce cup.
    For a good cup of coffee from a good coffee maker start with cold filtered water (most tap water contains chemical additives and heavy minerals all of which affect the taste of your brewed coffee, and the taste will change, sometimes daily depending on your municipalities water system), and a clean pot, a cup of coffee is measured internationally as six ounces, here in the USA we use 8~10 oz. cups, a lot of people will measure out four to six standard cups of water and use a tablespoon full of coffee grounds per cup and wonder why their coffee doesn't taste as good as it does from their favorite coffee shop, it's because they aren't using a proper ratio of water to coffee.

32. JohnP

Blog Posts:
    I agree. My folks drank that nasty stuff. For years I kidded my dad saying it tasted like it was straight out of the horse, raw and unfiltered.

JohnP

33. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    You know a tea ball can provide a good way to get the coffee with out the grit.

34. Bush Billy

Bush Billy Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I used my mesh filter from my drip coffee pot this morning. I like the window screen idea better.

35. Winterhorse

Winterhorse Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Kinda like flint and steel. The ceremony is part of the whole experience.

Thorns, Jakuka, Pharmer and 4 others like this.
  36. Moe M.

Blog Posts:
    Oh, and don't forget to throw in that pinch of coarse salt on top of your grounds before brewing, it'll take away that bitter acidy after taste and smooth out your brew. :44:

Pharmer and freebirdfb like this.
  37. Raymond Eisele

Raymond Eisele Tracker

Blog Posts:
    My wife hates coffee, but for the rest of the world, coffee is like blood. Have to have it. Best coffee when camping with buddies in the winter, was first cup in the morning. Only thing better is if someone else climbed out of their warm sleeping bag to make it.

38. JohnP

Blog Posts:
    I use to do geologic field mapping where we camped for days at a time. Nothing like waking up in your sleeping bag to the smell of coffee and bacon. It would draw you out of that warm bag even on the coldest of mornings.

JohnP

39. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    A lot of wisdom here. I am somewhere in that vast field between folks who are real coffee snobs and those who will drink anything that closely resembles coffee.

I am currently using a small one cup drip maker from Walmart, and I am using Maxwell House Columbian. It will do for now. :)

When I kick it up though, and use my Chemex or Aero Press, I am a bit more fussy. I am more careful with the amount of coffee grounds, and the heating of the water. I start my pour when the water is just about ready to boil. When the little bubbles from the bottom of the pan start releasing. If I get distracted and it gets to a full boil, I will dump it out and start over. I have made pour over coffee with boiled water before , and it tastes way different than if it is made with unboiled water.

Also, fresh ground definitely tastes better, to me, than preground coffee, but certainly not a deal breaker for me. However, as mentioned above, grinding your own coffee can be a rewarding part of the experience. :) That being said, it's been over half a year since I have ground any coffee.

I occasionally drink instant coffee. It also has a learning curve, and can be a decent cup. I am pretty finicky about instant. I like the Columbian instant. Tasters choice has it, but it's hard to find. Walmart brand had it, and it was very good but I have not seen it lately. I also use a small glass bottle that I think is marked Jaun Valdez? Or something like that.:) I also make that with just before boiling water. If the water isn't hot enough, or if it boils, the coffee doesn't taste good to me. When I add the water, I give it a slight stir, then the top gets a light brown cream/foam on it. After the foam goes away, it's ready to drink. I have tried the various house blends of instant and ended up throwing them away. I am skeptical of anything blended by the "house". :)

Coffee is very important to me, and when I want coffee, I want it to be just the right way. :) That's where the "coffee experience" thing comes in. Waking up to a quiet house, or campsite. Getting the supplies together. Waiting and watching the water heat. Pouring just enough into the Chemex to wet the grounds, and waiting for them to bloom. Then the continued pour until the coffee is ready. Even the removal of the grounds and rinsing of the pot is part of it. Then it's time to start your day. :)

40. riokid87

riokid87 Scout Banned

Blog Posts:
    Saw this at wmart. Thought it was on topic.
    If I can post pic.
    Can't post it. Ozark trail as 12 cup coffee pot lid, basket, handle, bail, less than $20.

41. metsuri

metsuri Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You can never go wrong with Cowboy Kent Rollins! Best coffee always!

42. PERRO

PERRO Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Wifey spent some of her youth pickings & processing Coffee on her father's farm in " Puerto Rico ".

She can't start her day without a freshly brewed " French Pressed " Cup.

I just picked up a " Stainless Steel French Press " for our Roadtrip / Camping Excursions.

We Filter the water @ home using a " Big Berkey " ( Go Berkey in photo ).
    [​IMG]
    Berkey Filter
    https://www.berkeyfilters.com

Mueller French Press Coffee Maker, 20% Heavier 18/10 Stainless Steel, Multi-Screen System,
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JGBK6XV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    freebirdfb, Pharmer and Calicoast like this.
  43. leghog

leghog Guide

Blog Posts:
    [​IMG]

Unless you are the one getting out of the warm fart sack first to make the coffee. Don't be that guy who never does it. Even if nothing is said, you'll be noted as that guy.

44. PERRO

Blog Posts:
    Heres a slightly different Coffee processing method. :eek:

CIVET POOP COFFEE - Kopi Luwak

freebirdfb and Pharmer like this.
  45. ParadigmShift

ParadigmShift Tracker

Blog Posts:
    We're talking about chemical extraction (caffeine, particulates) in a solvent (water). Some tricks to avoid the pitfalls that we've nicknamed "burnt" etc.:

1) Boil your water, but BEFORE adding coffee to it, take the water off heat, and let it drop to about 90C (100C being boiling ASL - At Sea Level)
    2) Add grounds. Stir them in. Full, even exposure to the solvent (water, in this case) is key.
    3) Let steep IAW your preference, but keep in mind, the coffee bean, the ground (coarse to fine), the temperature of the water, and the duration of the exposure, all factor into the final result. No matter what bean, fine grounds, left in boiling water for half an hour... is going to make something godawful. Maybe syrup would be a better name, than coffee. Coarse grounds, in water 5 minutes off a boil (depending on ambient temperatures, drop due to contact with the brew vessel etc.), steeped for 4-5 minutes, produces exactly what I'm looking for in a coffee. The darker the roast, the LESS caffeine is in it.
    4) Using half my (always-packed) teaball as a filter, I pour the brew through the mesh, into my cup/carafe/thermos. The screen catches any grinds from a clumsy pour that I would notice, and works double duty as a tea strainer, should the mood strike.

What to watch for:
    The finer the grind, the hotter the water, the longer the steep/brew - The greater the ability to over-extract. (ie burnt, bitter etc.)

Now, everyone will have their own methods, but this for me is: Repeatable. Simple. Effective. Reusable. Needs no voodoo or expensive equipment. And should the teaball (which I keep packed inside my camp cup) fail, a new one can be nabbed at a dollar store.

freebirdfb likes this.
  46. bikerector

bikerector Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've been thinking about this recently and I might try the aero press. It's supposed to make a wicked cup of coffee and the construction should pack reasonably well.

freebirdfb likes this.
  47. PERRO

Blog Posts:
    My additional two cents.

1.) Use a high quality " Water Source " to Boil, before adding Coffee to it ...."

I normally use " Filtered Water ", for a better tasting Coffee. :3:

Berkey Water Filters.
    https://www.berkeyfilters.com

http://wiredforcoffee.com/best-water-for-coffee/

freebirdfb likes this.
  48. NoBrakesRacing

NoBrakesRacing Scout

Blog Posts:
    My wife has been using one for a few years on trips, camping, etc.
    Can make the coffee stronger by letting it steep for a bit.
    Lightweight and simple.

I stopped drinking coffee years ago, now it makes me jittery.

freebirdfb likes this.
  49. Traditionalist

Traditionalist Guide

Blog Posts:
    After many failed attempts at Cowboy Coffee I was ready to give up. Then I saw Mr. Rollins first video a few years ago and BAM! I’ve been enjoying great coffee ever since. I now have enamel boilers in 6 cup, 8 cup, 20 cup and 36 cup. I start every morning (home or abroad) with the 8 cup. I fill my pint travel mug then drink the rest before taking on the world.

Using Kent’s instructions I never get grounds in my mug, just a little mud........about the same as I would from a french press.

As Kent mentioned in one of his videos, the results are very smooth, and no acidity. I always drink my coffee black, so that’s good news.

I have an entire closet full of different coffee brewing equipment that I’ve used a lot, and still use pour-overs, Moka pots, an Aeropress and the MSR Mugmate for smaller servings or because I’m bored and like variety. But for day to day consumption that also tastes perfect, there’s NO reason to think Cowboy Coffee should be considered something that only ranch hands and hunters drink because there’s nothing better available.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    FTG-05 likes this.
  50. FIELDCRAFTLTC

FIELDCRAFTLTC Roughian #10 Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I use a Stanley French Press - Link here this works great for me and keeps the coffee hot for a while.

gohammergo likes this.