1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

Not Gonna Freeze This Winter

Discussion in 'Loco Libre Gear' started by Wolfcri, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Wolfcri

Wolfcri Adventurer Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    One of my first few nights sleeping a hammock, temps dipped well below freezing and I realized very quickly that my Snugpak UQ/TQ combo was not going to cut it. At about 2:30 am, while thanking @Lode silently in my head for the pocket bellows that got the campfire going again, I took stock of the situation, shook the frozen cobwebs from my brain, and decided I'd need to give @george carr a call pretty soon.

Why did I decide to order custom cuilts from George? Well, I learned fast that he was a guy whose words I could trust. When I first asked him and some other guys what quilts would best suit my needs, George never even mentioned his own products. He talked about construction, insulation, temperature ranges, etc. I had to put two and two together on my own and later realized he owned Loco Libre. I always prefer to support small, independent vendors who bring high quality and innovative products to market. When their wares are among the best money can buy and they are less than an hour from home... It's a no-brainer.

My Snugpak quilts did a great job of getting me through the spring and summer. I brought them on my most recent fall paddling trip in the Adirondacks knowing all the while that they are definitely not intended for much below 50 degrees. Ironically, one of the few times I had service in the NY wilderness I received a text from George that said "Hey Jim! Your quilts are done." That night, with half a roll of Reflectix supplementing my under quilt, I dreamt of the fluffy Loco Libre Gear goodness that would keep me warm this winter.

My first day home from the Adirondacks I shot over to see George. I was thrilled to be picking up the quilts I had custom ordered a couple months earlier, but even more excited that George had offered to give me a shop tour! I relate the experience to that of a kid in a candy store. This is partly because I'm enthusiastic about outdoor equipment. Seeing all of the neat tricks and features that are part of the Loco Libre quilts more than satisfied that enthusiasm. What made the experience even more fun and interesting was witnessing the high level of workmanship that goes into Loco Libre Gear. After about 5 years of working as a quality manager, I have seen all types and sizes of vendors from small machine shops to multi-million dollar, automated facilities. Quality is something that can’t be faked and when it comes to quality, Loco Libre isn’t messing around. Complex digital sewing machines were run by skilled hands to painstakingly stich fabrics into the creations George has worked so hard to develop. George explained how only the best materials and processes are used to ensure that the end result is a product their customers will be happy with.

Soon it was time to see my quilts. A zero-degree Carolina Reaper under quilt and a 10* Ghost Pepper top quilt were what I’d chosen. Boy was I pleased. They are lighter than air, stitched to perfection, and have just the right number of bells and whistles to make them fit the way they are supposed to. True works of insulating art. I can’t wait to spend my first sub-freezing night wrapped in Loco Libre down.

IMG_9164.JPG
    IMG_9165.JPG

piney, svh, SmilinJoe and 13 others like this.
  2. george carr

george carr Tracker Vendor

Blog Posts:
    southern new jersey, near the piney woods
    Thanks Wolfcri! You forgot to mention the cookies, lol! Seriously, it was a pleasure to have you stop by. One of the best parts of being a small cottage manufacturer is getting to meet the folks we serve. I also get a great deal of satisfaction in knowing that our gear makes others trips more comfortable.

piney, SmilinJoe, ANFwoodsman and 3 others like this.
  3. xrayit

xrayit Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Nice quilts, you are in for a treat the first time you snuggle into that set up in freezing weather! I dumped all of my sleeping bags and use my top quilts and an insulated pad when I go to ground because I am a quilt convert. There is something special that can’t be described when you hold a quality set of down quilts, the weight is amazing and you can actually feel the heat being generated like magic and they are soft “really soft" to the touch LOL. Then there is the unbelievable workmanship that is crafted into the quilts, every time I break out my quilts it makes me happy. I have taken my 0 degree set down to 15 degrees with no real issues with waking up cold and a few times I have actually been too hot and needed to dump some heat by loosening the bottom quilt a bit.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    Wolfcri and GreenFrog like this.
  4. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Hardwoodsman #8 Supporter Bushclass III

Blog Posts:
    those look first class top notch. jealous of that stitching.
    tempted to put my uq on the sewing machine and make some more baffles to keep the feathers in place.

if anyone is looking for wolfcri he is probably in his hammock.

Wolfcri and george carr like this.
  5. Monkeynono

Monkeynono Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I expect to see the at the LL hang next month....

george carr likes this.
  6. Wolfcri

Wolfcri Adventurer Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I'll be there.

Monkeynono likes this.