Not so bush-crafty tourist question

Discussion in 'Louisiana' started by SLaRoy, May 13, 2014.

1. SLaRoy

SLaRoy Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hi guys, I will be traveling to New Orleans to present at a national science teachers conference this week. I will have a couple of days to spend time around the city and was hoping I could count on you to help me with some advice on where to go, what to eat, etc.

I will be there Thursday night through Sunday morning any advice at all is welcome. I would definitely like to see some history and have some good food. I have heard that good food and history is abundant but maybe you could help me narrow it down!

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

2. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Haha! You don't have enough time... but it will whet your appetite and keep you coming back... Wow... where to even start....

There are more antique places than you can shake a stick at... one place you must see is James Cohen and Sons, 437 Royal St. WOW! i love that place. Bring $3000 in cash... that's about what everything in there costs...
    http://shop.cohenantiques.com/

Gotta see the French Quarter. Lots of stuff in there. Get off Bourbon... that's for drunks and tourons. There are walking and bus tours that will get you oriented.

Go see the French Market. Kind of a large flea market, but cool atmosphere, and there are SO many fresh food vendors... you can eat samples of everything for hours... a little east of there, try to get into the Cafe' Dumond, but beware it's crowded and cash only... but the coffee is delicious, and you'll love beignets (ben-yays). Just don't inhale or exhale, or you'll get powdered sugar all over you... there are always street musicians sitting right outside... pretty neat atmosphere. There are street performers all over, btw... and while i'm on 'people', there's a certain kind of bum there, called gutter rats... strange but mostly harmless, mostly they're drunk, recovering, or wanting to be. They can smell pretty ripe, depending on when they last bathed and how recently they've laid in a gutter full of puke... like i said, avoid bourbon street after about 8pm... gets pretty wild after that, and not in a good way, at least according to my standards...

Another place I like is the Riverwalk park. Just good people-watching. If you want a riverboat ride, I think there's one that leaves from near there... might just be a ferry, not sure.

Jackson Square and St Louis Cathedral are nice too. There are a lot of artists in that area, selling paintings, doing drawings, and other such things. The Coffee Pot Restaurant is just NW of the cathedral on St Peter Street. Just across the street and NW a little is a place called The Voodoo Shop... it's just weird... stuff like "Last Supper after-dinner mints"... gotta see it. Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop (now a restaurant, i think) is on Bourbon and St Phillip, a couple blocks NE of that.

Ride the trolley up and down Canal Street and over into the Garden District if you can... some stretches are closed for repairs, and you can't always do it, but the Garden District is just pretty... good antique shops too.

That should do ya til the next time you come back... Bienvenue en Louisiane, and let the good times roll!

3. joaquinstmichael

joaquinstmichael Scout

Blog Posts:
    The Quarter and Bourbon Street are what most people see. WWII museum is worthwhile. Cafe du Monde for coffee and beignets. Get in line early to hear the Preservation Hall Band. Rent a bicycle and cover more ground to see the garden district homes and very interesting graveyards. The Mardi Gras museum is good if you want to see the floats up close in a warehouse setting. Have Sunday brunch unfelt at The Court of Two Sisters. Antiques, art and voodoo stores are everywhere. Watch out for a drink called a "hand grenade." It's pretty strong. Enjoy!

4. SLaRoy

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the replies! Keep them coming, it's great to hear from those who know all the ins and outs

5. DBX

DBX Guide

Blog Posts:
    Seeker, is Mother's Kitchen still open?
    They had the best breakfast! The kind that should come with CPR instructions.

6. nwaters2618

nwaters2618 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Check out The Maison. Its in the french district. Great bar and amazing live music.

7. 3855singleshot

3855singleshot Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I would head out to Beau Bridge for some of the best cajon music, really good cajon food and very friendly people! I hope i remember how to spell the name of the place. I t is called Prejeans?

8. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Wow! forgot about that one... hadn't seen it since before Katrina... yes, it was good.
    And the hand grenade is harmless... go ahead... have another one... lol

No idea... sounds bushcraft/bacon related though... hmm...

Yeah... Prejeans. It's NOT where the signs say it is... google it and make your own map...

9. joaquinstmichael

joaquinstmichael Scout

Blog Posts:
    If you have a car, head south to Avery Island and tour the Tabasco factory. Amazing.

10. SSG Veltman

SSG Veltman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I would suggest the river walk as a mid-day activity and there are all sorts of vendors and food to take in... The Aquarium of the Americas is a good place to get out of the rain.

A nice restaurant is "The Court of Two Sisters"... http://www.courtoftwosisters.com/ ... Awesome food!

11. KajunKat

KajunKat Guide

Blog Posts:
    a few more suggestions. Some of the best hamburgers ever are available at Port of Call restaurant 838 Esplanade Avenue http://portofcallnola.com/ at the edge of the french quarter. Another place I like is shushans habidashery a mom and pop hat store on st peters right across from jackson square (536 St Peter St,). They have a ton of hats at reasonable prices and carry tilleys and other "outdoorsy" brands in hard to find sizes (like my extra extra large melon) http://www.shushans.com/ Another hole in the wall I love is District Donuts, Sliders and Brews at 2209 Magazine St, New Orleans, LA http://www.donutsandsliders.com/ It was actually started by some young guys I used to go to church with. The "brews" are not beer but cold brewed coffee and they also have their own parking lot, which believe it or not is really important downtown.
    Enjoy yourself and remember "where you got your shoes" is "on da street" (part of the oldest and lamest street con in the french quarter, they have been pulling it since I was a kid...)

12. SLaRoy

Blog Posts:
    Thanks everybody for the tips! I arrived a short bit ago and found that Mother's kitchen is only a few blocks away from the hotel.

13. DBX

DBX Guide

Blog Posts:
    Mother's, Cafe Dumond, and Cafe Royale. My favorite places to eat. Of course, you can hardly go wrong with eats anywhere, there.

14. Spiffy

Spiffy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Lived in NOLA a few decades ago...... The Court of Two Sisters had one of the best, if not the best Sunday Jazz Brunch in town.

If you like music, Tipitina's is legendary...

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  15. SLaRoy

Blog Posts:
    Wow, thanks again everyone for the great suggestions. I was able to hit a lot of places today; cafe Dumond, Shushans, Cohens, St. Louis cathedral, French Market, WWII museum. Planning on a food coma for tomorrow; Mothers for breakfast and Two Sisters for lunch or dinner.

And as always "pics or it didn't happen"
    [​IMG]