Not your every-day bow saw.

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by TheDandyLion, Jul 14, 2019.

1. TheDandyLion

TheDandyLion BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I've had this big old saw for a while now, I found it in a ReStore for like $10 and have been using it for firewood cutting intermittently ever since. Because of it's somewhat crude construction and lack of any markings whatsoever I initially thought it was home made but after closer inspection I don't think it is. It's made of two pieces of heavy steel piping, weighs about 6lbs, and the two sections of the frame can be adjusted for different levels of blade tension (maybe different lengths of blade?). The blade is a whopping 42" long and is much taller/wider than any other bow saw blade I've seen

Never in my life have I seen a bow saw this large, so I thought some of you guys might know a thing or two about it or at the very least think it's a cool tool. Because of it's weight and bulk it's kind of tricky to use and absolutely requires some sort of sawbuck. This means I don't really like it for a "field" saw for car camping like my other larger bow saws, but for home use where I can strap down the wood at a proper height it works quite well. Great alternative to a chainsaw when I need something quieter/less fiddly. It seems to cut faster than my 50" crosscut saw with a more conventional design and is certainly faster than the "little" 30" bow saw I normally use, so it's quickly becoming a wood shed favorite. What do you guys think?

A Saw 1.jpg A Saw 2.jpg

2. RavenLoon

RavenLoon axology student Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Bow saws are great. I used one for two winters to cut all my firewood. Those long ones though are very hard to find replacement blades.

3. Robedsubset

Robedsubset Scout

Blog Posts:
    I’ve got a bahco saw about that same size and color

4. manitoulinbound

manitoulinbound Apple Fritter Lover Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Saws that size are actually pretty common at flea markets in my area for some reason. I've used one but it wasn't for me, I always seemed to get that long blade bound up. I agree with Raven, I've never seen a new replacement blade of that length.

5. J. Pierce

J. Pierce Perpetually Off Topic, Sorry. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    When I was a kid every old guy had one of those big boys hanging in the shed or garage.
    I've heard them called "pulp saws" around here.

6. TheDandyLion

Blog Posts:
    I had a feeling because of how rough the build was on this that it was an industrial tool so pulp production would make sense. I live in a big logging area so you see old crosscut saws floating around but I've never seen a big bow like this. Interesting to hear they're so common! I never see them over 36".

7. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    My dad has one or two like that... I take one of them along canoeing if i can, but they're too heavy for backpacking.

Saws that big take full advantage of your "swing", though for me my full pull/push length is only about 36".

8. highlander

highlander Veni Vidi comedit lardum Supporter

Blog Posts:
    cek, buckfynn and TheDandyLion like this.
  9. Bitterroot Native

Bitterroot Native Indigenous Skills Junkie

Blog Posts:
    That saw is the chief of all bow saws! Never seen one that big haha. Looks like it would be a bit unruly and hard to handle. You can make a saw horse pretty easy in the woods but idk if I would want to use one that big to take to the woods either.

I absolutely love using a bow saw. One of my all time favorite tools next to an axe :dblthumb:

buckfynn and TheDandyLion like this.
  10. TheDandyLion

Blog Posts:
    It is kind of hard to use one handed like you would a normal bow saw. Really have to take extra effort keeping that heavy metal fram upright. Still really easy to cut with though, as long as you don't try to use it for felling (holding it sideways its very hard).

Bitterroot Native and buckfynn like this.
  11. TheDandyLion

Blog Posts:
    That blade might even be a bit shorter than what it has right now, though it is adjustable.

buckfynn likes this.
  12. Sawdustdave

Sawdustdave Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Dad called his a Swede saw. It's mine now. I think it belonged to my great-granddad, who came from Norway to be a lumberjack.

buckfynn likes this.
  13. TheDandyLion

Blog Posts:
    I've heard "Swede" or "Sandvik" attached to all manor of bow saws (and brush axes). Seems to be a common term for whatever reason.

Really cool story though, I wonder if these are more common in European lumber industries?

buckfynn likes this.
  14. americanstrat98

americanstrat98 Wanderer Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Nice, I saw one recently that was orange like that one and about 3.5' long. It's resting at a junk collector/seller. I stop in every few months for auger bits, old wood stove parts, ect.

TheDandyLion and buckfynn like this.