Nov 17 Waynes Timber Ridge Lake

Discussion in 'Ohio' started by dadman, Oct 28, 2018.

1. WY_Not

WY_Not Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Wear something orange just to be safe.

2. hlydon

hlydon Guide

Blog Posts:
    I think @dadman and I are going to paddle in, so the red dot spots would be fine.

But, I hope we have a couple more folks joining us who may be walking in. How about we do the orange dot?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  3. LoneWeb

LoneWeb Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Orange works for me. It's a pretty nice spot with plenty of trees for the hammocks. It's the first spot in the vid I posted, has a well established fire ring too.

4. hlydon

hlydon Guide

Blog Posts:
    Looks like a great spot. Thanks for sharing the video.

5. dadman

dadman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The orange dot is the easies to get to but I like the idea of being away from hunters.

@LoneWeb Which site do you recommend since we are taking the boat access shouldn’t be a problem? If you dont mind put in the GPS cordinates so we can pull it up on Friday.

@hlydon do you have a handheld GPS you can bring Friday? I have one that was given to me but I haven’t really used it. Ill break it out and see what I can do with it.

6. LoneWeb

LoneWeb Tracker

Blog Posts:
    If red dot, I'd recommend the one on the left fork, we've had 3 hammocks hung there before, and it's level ground. We can hike just over the hill to the other red dot from there also (about 10 min hike) each of the three spots have pros and cons.
    I don't have gps but I'll see if I can find them. I plan on getting out there to gather some wood a little early Friday ( I have a small pile stashed at the green dot lol) enough for a one or two cook fires...it'll save us a little work.

7. dadman

dadman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I’m going to leave up to you two. Let’s just decide on a spot so we all know where we re going. @hlydon I’m going to bring some mre’s for Friday evening what do you like? I’m also going to bring some mountain house so we can have some hot food.

8. LoneWeb

LoneWeb Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Either spot is fine with me, I'm just happy to be heading to the lake . Just say the word and that's where I'll be.

It's raining today so things will be damp my local station is still saying no rain for the weekend tho

9. hlydon

hlydon Guide

Blog Posts:
    Let’s do orange since it is an easier hike. There may be others that want to camp who haven't confirmed yet and who will be hiking in versus paddling.

I eat just about anything. Thanks @dadman.

10. LoneWeb

LoneWeb Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Sounds good, I'll be there. What time y'all plan on heading out? I'll probably get there early and so I have time to kayak to the back of the lake to get a little firewood I had cut up on my last solo trip ..if it's still there.

Not sure how accurate this gps coordinate is..I downloaded a free app...but this is what it says the orange dot is.

Attached Files:

11. hlydon

hlydon Guide

Blog Posts:
    The coordinates look right on Google Maps compared to your map with the orange dot.

We plan to arrive at 2:00. I might be able to get there a bit earlier—just won’t know until the time approaches.

Hopefully even with this rain we will have some dry wood and not too much mud.

12. dadman

dadman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    That sounds good, 2 oclcok Friday.

13. dadman

dadman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    So here is a check list
    @hlydon you bring food for Saturday Lunch and dinner are you bringing your stand and grill?
    @LoneWeb your bringing Sunday Breakfeast.
    I’m going to cover Friday Night dinner and Deseret for Saturday, plus some snacks, ill also bring something for Saturday morning breakfast.
    So we are not over loaded who is brining pots and pans, I can bring a skillet, and a Dutch oven
    I’m bringing the first aid kit just in case.

14. LoneWeb

LoneWeb Tracker

Blog Posts:
    @dadman I have a flat griddle I usually take along...its a light weight kitchen reject I decided to add to my camp gear instead of throwing away it's good for bacon.
    As for pots..I only have my little single person stack kit that I keep in my pack along with fire kit and the normal camp stuff.
    I'll also bring a big tarp in case the weather man is wrong about this rain stopping tonight.

15. hlydon

hlydon Guide

Blog Posts:
    I was only going to bring a small grill. I plan on bringing hamburgers and typical picnic type food unless someone objects. I assume we will all bring some type of drinks that can be shared. I’ll probably pick up some water bottles and colas.

16. hlydon

hlydon Guide

Blog Posts:
    We will have plenty to share, so anyone who wants to stop out for a day, night, or the weekend, please do and no need to bring food.

17. hlydon

hlydon Guide

Blog Posts:
    I might bring a bow/crossbow and sit for an hour or so Saturday or Sunday. And of course some blaze orange.

18. dadman

dadman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    SO I thought was going to bring a pole but I dont think so, I’m going to just kick back in a chair and keep a fire going. Going to be dam it has rained down there most of the day but Friday and the weekend all looks good.

19. LoneWeb

LoneWeb Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Had a blast this weekend, was nice to meet you guys. Thanks for having me along!

Attached Files:

WY_Not, Hiker41, hlydon and 2 others like this.
  20. hlydon

hlydon Guide

Blog Posts:
    We had a great weekend as usual. Thanks to @dadman for selecting Timber Ridge Lake and @LoneWeb for being the local guide. Our kayaks and canoe served well as pack mules. I’m fairly certain @dadman actually brought the kitchen sink.

There was lots of good food and drinks to be had. Our Saturday fire was fantastic after we collected ample wood. You would have thought it was July, not November.

Each morning at o’dark thirty, the blowing deer would pass by—more like hung out and blew an ample number of times to ensure without a doubt that we were completely awake. Saturday morning deer sounded as if they numbered at least a half dozen. Just in case the deer didn’t wake us, the turkey felt the need to chime in Sunday morning.

I took a crossbow and sat along a game trail a few hundred yards from camp Saturday at dusk. No deer to be seen. Just to remind us they were still around, three deer walked into our camp Sunday morning while we conversing around the fire. They seemed to think coming within a usually very unsafe 25 yards was okay as the crossbow was already packed away.

Our departure was a small adventure. @dadman can chime in if he likes.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    WY_Not and CowboyJesus like this.
  21. hlydon

hlydon Guide

Blog Posts:
    Some photos...

Attached Files:

WY_Not, Hiker41 and sons of scotland like this.
  22. hlydon

hlydon Guide

Blog Posts:
    Great to meet you, and you’ll have to join us for the next campout—probably spring.

WY_Not likes this.
  23. dadman

dadman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I had such a great time even whe nI fell in the water and about sank the boat lol, you got the boat @hlydon lol I cant wait till next year.