Now the 1851 Navy is broken. :(

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Polecat, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Polecat

Polecat Polecat in a Poke Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Took it out to shoot it this evening.

Sear/Bolt spring broke on the second shot. Now the cylinder won't stay locked.

Pietta "Quality" I reckon.

I have a notion to just return both this and the Le Mat for refund and give up.

2. slysir

slysir Guide

Blog Posts:
    :(

-John

central joe likes this.
  3. junkpile

junkpile Scout

Blog Posts:
    That's unfortunate. Are both of these revolvers new?

central joe likes this.
  4. DirtmanDave

DirtmanDave Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @Polecat check out Blackie Thomas' YouTube channel today. He's talking about the same issue as your '51.

tranders, slysir and central joe like this.
  5. Primordial

Primordial MOA #40 Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Damn! You shouldn't have been so fast on the draw, fanning down on all 6 of those targets in 1 second flat!

central joe likes this.
  6. werewolf won

werewolf won TANSTAAFL Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    And that is one of the better brands :D I watch that Dualist’s you tube channel and the first thing he does with a new cap and ball revolver is tune them up by sanding, filing and stoning parts and changing to Wolf springs. Pretty much tells you that out of the box they all are marginal performers. I picked up a Colt Navy brass framed 1850 model a couple of weeks ago. Just one range secession and it was not as tight as when I started, pretty much telling me to expect future issues. A couple of hundred bucks (and I’m sure the Le Mat was a heck of a lot more) is not cheap, but I guess we get what we pay for.

7. Polecat

Blog Posts:
    Yep! And I'm on my second Le Mat. First one wouldn't stay cocked. Second one had a misaligned barrel selectior.

Sheeeit, I didn't even dry fire it without putting aquarium tubing over the nipples, lol.

Yeah, I am not going to return the 1851, I'll just get the piano wire spring for it and replace the flat spring that broke. Other than that spring breaking, it's actually very very slick, the bolt fits the cylinder cutouts correctly, the gap is perfect, the frame isn't getting peened anywhere, and the wedge comes out by hand and is aligned right.

Yeah, that sucker (at least the Dixie/Navy Arms version, which has more engraving, better bluing, and is fitted way better (other than the selector) than the Cabela's version) cost >$1000, but I've wanted one since I was 7 or 8 years old haha. Bucket list gun, along with that Hollenbeck. Now I need to find a Russian contract (or repro) Winchester 1895 in 7.62x54r with the stripper clip guides. :3

I called Dixie today and talked to their gunsmith. He said to send it back and he'd fix it (the Le Mat I mean). I reckon I'll be paying the shipping, but I think that's a way better deal than getting a replacement that will have its own new host of issues. Even the original Le Mats were a little funny when new. They used a unique cylinder locking system (to avoid patent infringement) that is a little strange.

Birdman, Primordial and werewolf won like this.
  8. Polecat

Blog Posts:
    Got some Wolff springs on the way. Since I use the RWS caps and had to pay shipping anyway, I am going to try out the lightened mainspring, too. I reckon if it's too light I can just put the factory one back in and put the lightened one in my SAA.

I figure once I have the Wolff bolt spring, I can put a caliper on it and make my own if I ever need to replace it again. I have a couple of junk pianos in a shed that I can probably harvest the right diameter wire from. I assume that one would then just anneal the wire, bend it to shape, and retemper it.

Edit: Speaking of which, can anyone recommend which of the 3rd party quality replacement nipples fit the RWS #11 caps the best?

9. DPris

DPris Guide

Blog Posts:
    Re shipping- you know you can mail the gun via Post Office for much cheaper than you can ship Fedex or UPS?
    Denis

10. drobs

drobs Scout

Blog Posts:
  11. A K Church

A K Church Guide

Blog Posts:
    Broken bolt/sear springs are pretty basic to that design. Unfortunate yours broke so soon, but eventually they all break.

The one on my Colt NF SAA broke...eventually.

Replace with a wire spring. I think mine's a Heinie.

12. OutnBacker

OutnBacker Guide

Blog Posts:
    This must be a rather recent (last 20 years) problem because my C&P revolvers never had any issues. I bought them new back in the late 70's and shot the heck out of them for many years. Never bought a cartridge arm til 1982 or so - Model 60, Model 66, 1911's, Colt Com Commanders, various others and rifles, etc, etc.

I can see that there is a break-in period that is more noticeable on BP revolvers than on modern designs with modern steels, but I'm still surprised to read this.

13. DPris

DPris Guide

Blog Posts:
    My first handgun was an Italian .36 in '69.
    Less than 200 shots before the hand spring broke.
    Denis

14. Polecat

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, it is technically legal, but I am half afraid some soy-boy postal worker will x-ray the package, not know what he is looking at, neither will any of the rest of them, and dumbness will ensue resulting in headaches. <_<

I have an Uberti SAA that I've shot a good bit and haven't had a problem with (yet lol). Once I have this commercial spring, I am 90% sure I can use it for measurements and make my own in the future. I figure I could probably make one right now based on internet photos and measurements of the broken flat spring, except I am not sure what diameter piano wire I need to use to make it the right strength.

15. slysir

slysir Guide

Blog Posts:
    C#minor :rolleyes:

-John

16. Polecat

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, maybe it doesn't make much difference, heh.

17. DPris

DPris Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've mailed several percussions, it's entirely legal, and MOST of the PO people know it.
    Anybody at the X-ray & Inspector level who'd be chasing you down would certainly know it.

Much cheaper than Fedex or UPS, your choice.
    Denis

18. drobs

drobs Scout

Blog Posts:
    I went ahead and grabbed 2 wire bolt springs from Wolff. I'd hate to travel 1/2 way around world to shoot the gun and find it too has a broken spring.

Added them to an order of 2 EMF reduced power mainsprings.
    https://www.gunsprings.com/index.php?page=items&cID=3&mID=1&dID=96

Was reading on another board that these mainsprings will reduce the effort required to cock Pietta 1858 Remington revolvers. Plus keep the revolver reliable with conversion cylinders and percussion caps.

http://1858remington.com/discuss/index.php/topic,5248.0.html

Quoting myself from the other thread:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018