NWNJ Group Overnight Ideas

Discussion in 'New Jersey' started by NJHeart2Heart, May 11, 2017.

1. NJHeart2Heart

NJHeart2Heart Backyard Bushcrafter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The WILD suburbs of Morris County, NJ, USA
    So... this may be a stretch for our southern friends (though no more than Stokes) I'm a bit intrigued by Worthington State Forest. I just checked and they have campsites including 3 group sites. They're near the river, and near to both an easier trail and two more challenging trails up to a well known glacial lake (Sunfish Pond).

Park website: http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/worthington.html
    Full map (campsites are near Labar Island) http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/maps/NYNJTC_NJParkMaps-Worthington_2015-85x11.pdf
    Reservations: https://www.reserveamerica.com/camp...Details.do?contractCode=NJ&parkId=670037#sr_a

I think I might have just found my destination for this weekend! I could go with hubby and do a scouting trip...

Last edited: May 11, 2017
    bobc, Sticks N' Stones, 2jka and 4 others like this.
  2. Pastor Chris

Pastor Chris Keeper of the T.Darrah Tenkara Pass-Around Hobbyist Supporter Hardwoodsman Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    i have never been there but it looks nice on the maps! I hope you get our for a scouting trip.

bobc, 2jka, Half Tread and 1 other person like this.
  3. MommaJ

MommaJ Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    A scouting trip would be great. We have a family/neighbor/friend weekend booked for there in July.

This weekend when I drop my youngest of to volunteer I am going to check out Allaire State Parks group sites here in Monmouth county. I have always stayed in their main campground but the website says they have several group sites including some that good for up too 100 people.

bobc, 2jka, Half Tread and 2 others like this.
  4. NJHeart2Heart

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the visual! I'm all about having the picture ;) Glad to help (with the mule postings). Have two others in mind and if I get to Worthington and it looks promising, I'll add that too :)

bobc and Half Tread like this.
  5. NJHeart2Heart

Blog Posts:
    Looks like it's going to be rainy Saturday (plus Ted will be recovering from a colonoscopy.. ewww), but Sunday looks better. Its' one of those seasons it seems where the weekends are all rained out, and then it's sunny ALL WEEK (while I'm stuck in the office!) I need to send a special request up to God about that... :rolleyes:

6. 2jka

2jka Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've been through there fairly regularly. From what I remember, the sights along Old Mine Road are all pretty grassy and quite flat. They are very popular "Glamping" spots, so they tend to have all the amenities, and very little in the way of firewood on the ground, sorta like Stokes. It would be true front country camping.

As far as the hike to Sunny pond. It would be very strenuous. A nice hike past the bat cave and up a gully. You end up moving through a number of different habitats on the way up. Not very technical but very steep. A buddy of mine and I did a hike along the AT that took us that way.
    We also camped on top of the ridge near the Pond in the large primitive sight they had up there. Huge grassy area with a killer view of the Delaware valey below.
    Nice area. The observatory at the far north of the postman on the AT is cool, as is the drive to get there from the camp sights. Same drive also takes you past a living history town which may be open if you go. Just keep following Old Mine Road north. The road runs right into to town if I remember correctly.

Oh and be forwarded, there are sections of Old Mine Road heading north from I-80, just past the light, that were a mess. The words off-roading, and logging road come to mind. Small cars may have a tough time on it.

Wolfcri, bobc and Half Tread like this.
  7. bobc

bobc Scout

Blog Posts:
    thanks for the heads up...WSF may work...r there any campgrounds near the shore?....

Bob

Half Tread likes this.
  8. 2jka

2jka Guide

Blog Posts:
    image.png
    Yep, and a beach, and a shower house, and other such amenities if memory serves.

9. bobc

bobc Scout

Blog Posts:
  10. MommaJ

Blog Posts:
    The beginning of August is clear but from the Aug 18th thru 29thish I will be away in NC.

I am actually doing a family/neighbor outing Christmas in July at Worthington. We opted to get 3 sites verse the group site due to concerns about it being right at the boat launch

Half Tread likes this.
  11. Wolfcri

Wolfcri Wastelander Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I would be interested. The last weekend in July and the first weekend in August are out for me. The three weekends before or after would be a go. Maybe a poll would be a good idea.

The Tree Frog and Half Tread like this.
  12. 2jka

2jka Guide

Blog Posts:
    well i wont be free until after august 23rd so... i like September.

Half Tread likes this.
  13. NJHeart2Heart

Blog Posts:
    I did a scouting trip there Sunday. Will post tomorrow.

Half Tread, tabasco_joe and 2jka like this.
  14. tabasco_joe

tabasco_joe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'll be camping in central PA next week but once I'm back I plan a few scouting trips in PA close to the NJ border. Possibly in NW NJ as well.

Half Tread likes this.
  15. tabasco_joe

Blog Posts:
    I just noticed the map you posted. I never knew that was there. I almost always approach the Delaware from the PA side and the two large islands block the view of the Jersey side in that area.
    I've canoed/kayaked sections of the Delaware a few times but always pulled out just above that area. Might be a place to bring the kayak.

Half Tread likes this.
  16. NJHeart2Heart

Blog Posts:
    I was very excited about my scouting trip to Worthington State Forest on Sunday. We had a much longer church meeting then expected before, so we got out later and I didn't get to DO any bushcraft stuff, but still.. enjoyed the drive, enjoyed walking around the group sites (and a bonus eagle siting and waterfall visit) and just being away from home for a bit with Ted.

So, quick summary: Worthington State Forest is a lovely place to visit. The campsites are right along the road which is right along the river, so beautiful views all along the road. There is nearby access to a boat launch and fishing, and some nice / some challenging trails nearby (though you'd probably have to drive from the group sites to the trails). The best site (Site "A), is a huge space on one gigantic grassy knoll, with another large grassy knoll adjacent to the first. While it has easy access to facilities and water, it has NO deadfall, and in fact you can't even venture into the trees due to an abundance of poison ivy. Though sites B and C were nice and had a bit more tree cover, they were smaller and none of them have room for more than maybe 2 hammocks (none on site "A"). All of the sites had nice picnic tables, bear proof food storage and both ground and standing grills.

As a starter, we experienced a climatic beginning of our trip. We spotted, not 6 feet from us an amazing young bald eagle feasting on a squirrel. He was sitting on a limb over the river, which was mere feet from the edge of the small road along the campsites.

20170521_161749_34423593650_o.jpg 20170521_161918_34809785645_o.jpg 20170521_161938_33966715134_o.jpg 20170521_162355_34000177603_o.jpg

Next Page for group site photos..

bobc, MommaJ and Half Tread like this.
  17. NJHeart2Heart

Blog Posts:
    Group Site "C"
    20170521_170219_34782792416_o.jpg

20170521_170059_34690225981_o.jpg

20170521_170038_34782776516_o.jpg

Group Site "B"

20170521_170240_34436403860_o.jpg
    20170521_170314_34436411350_o.jpg

20170521_170721_34659789022_o.jpg

Group Site "A" (The giant grassy knoll)

20170521_171501_34012942473_o.jpg
    20170521_171332_34782850856_o.jpg

20170521_171329_34436452920_o.jpg
    20170521_171335_34822937275_o.jpg

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  18. bobc

bobc Scout

Blog Posts:
    Site C looks good.......i've got to reach out to Pastor Chris and see if he can set up a poll for dates...... @NJHeart2Heart thanks for the trip report....U DA BEST!!!!

Bo

Half Tread likes this.
  19. NJHeart2Heart

Blog Posts:
    @bobc I can start a NEW thread specifically for Worthington and can set the poll.. Just have to figure out what dates to use..

20. Wolfcri

Wolfcri Wastelander Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    The site looks nice but it seems there would be very limited trees for those of us who use hammocks. Not sure if that's something you would want to take into account. Just a thought.

The Tree Frog likes this.
  21. NJHeart2Heart

Blog Posts:
  22. NJHeart2Heart

Blog Posts:
    I thought the same thing, and honestly, compared to Stokes, Jenny Jump or Brendan Byrne, I thought this was the least feasible park, but there were several people "hopping" to go, so....

Check out my post above @Half Tread - I started a Worthington specific post and created a poll as well :)

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  23. NJHeart2Heart

Blog Posts:
    That's fine with me. I was just going with the flow. There may be better group sites in Del Rec Area.

24. NJHeart2Heart

Blog Posts:
    I can tell you that there is NOT direct access to the river from the group sites. The river is on one side, separated by shrubs, poison ivy and the narrow access road next to the sites. However, Site A is next to a developed parking area, and there is a boat launch on the other side of that parking lot...
    You can see it here: Worthington Campgrounds Map

25. NJHeart2Heart

Blog Posts:
    Any luck scouting PA/NJ sites?

tabasco_joe and bobc like this.
  26. tabasco_joe

Blog Posts:
    Not yet. Lost one weekend to a plumbing problem I had to fix.
    Was in central PA the last two weeks. Got rained out for a lot of what I wanted to do.
    Have to collect the pics and post in the outings section.
    I did get some info on sites in several NE PA state forests but the maps are too large to post here.
    Unfortunately the maps aren't online by the state. Otherwise I could just link.
    Delaware and Pinchot are the closest and most promising.

NJHeart2Heart likes this.
  27. NJHeart2Heart

Blog Posts:
    I understand busy schedules.. and this crazy rain! No rush, but whenever you can post some info would be great :)

28. greencitygardener

greencitygardener Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I love Worthington. I go a few times a year. I've never stayed at the group sites, but I've been at sites 3,10,12,1,18,22. It is a quiet and clean campground. The two drawbacks are that as you go north of site 18 you have a view across the river of the golf course main building. Not all sites are great for hammocks. There are definitely trees but when I hung my hammock I had trouble between being too close to poison ivy, lots of thorn bushes, and trees with roots overhanging the river. Certainly a few people could hammock camp but not a dozen at a site.

I've also had trouble with animals. Twice I've had to leave in the middle of the night even though we followed all the precautions. Once an adolescent black bear kept coming into our camp and wouldn't leave. Another time it was a raccoon that kept coming into our site during daylight hours. The sites closer to buildings like the bathroom or park office usually have fewer animal encounters. I often hear from other campers that bears wander into the sites around site 1 which is the most remote.

Hiking around there is wonderful. Sunfish Pond is gorgeous, particularly in fall and isn't too strenuous. Van Campens Glen is further down Old Mine Rd and has a natural rock slide waterfall. Lots of young people go during summer. Further down is Millbrook village which is a colonial restoration site and they have a weekend where they do stuff like make sauerkraut, model colonial era carpentry and clothing making skills. Called Millbrook Days.

The campsites are usually very clean along with the bathroom area. The view looking across the river is awesome, you can walk along the bank and fish, and even looking behind you up the mountain it is really pretty. It feels very secluded in there depending on what site you get.

designtom, MommaJ and NJHeart2Heart like this.
  29. NJHeart2Heart

Blog Posts:
    @greencitygardener Thanks for the thoughtful review! I thought the same thing about hammocks when looking at the group sites. Though there were a **few spots, there was also an abundance of poison ivy and anywhere else is mostly covered with underbrush. I thought the individual sites were interesting- had never seen so many sites on one big open field like that before. Our scouting trips are usually for the group sites, since part of the fun of the NWNJ events I think is when everyone is together in one big site. The Pine Barrens meetup event this spring was great - but even just having two sites really splits the group and and seemed to encourage people doing their own thing. That's great, but I think the great idea of the group events is that we all do stuff, learn things and eat together :) Can't wait until the next one!!

greencitygardener likes this.
  30. NJHeart2Heart

Blog Posts:
    I'm a tent person myself, and though we've been to two group event now, and hubby Ted has joined me for both, we have yet to stay overnight. I really hope the next one we make will allow us to go overnight. Would be a pleasure to meet your wife. Based on what I've read of you I bet she's a great lady :)

31. MommaJ

Blog Posts:

Nice info to know. We reserved sites 17, 18, and 19 for a family/friend/neighbor get together Christmas gift in July. I think I am definitely going to take the kids to Van Campens Glen they should love the rock slide waterfall.

32. NJHeart2Heart

Blog Posts:
    Lucky you to have that to look forward to :) Be sure to link to your trip report after you enjoy your trip!

MommaJ likes this.
  33. wingnuts

wingnuts Hunter/Gatherer Provider/Protector Supporter

Blog Posts:
    While. You' e got him ask for some east winds too! Heading to the shore next week for vacation and west winds bring in the greenheads!!!!

34. NJHeart2Heart

Blog Posts:
    Will do wingnuts :) Enjoy your shore time!

35. greencitygardener

greencitygardener Tracker

Blog Posts:
    It's great. It's a 15 min drive if you make a left out of the campground. Park at the Upper Glenn, you'll see a sign, and then cross the road. There's a trail, you go over a little bridge then there is a fork. Go right and eventually you'll come to the top of the waterfall area and there are steps down. Some kids like to jump from the top area into a big hole that's in the middle of the rock slab, but it's very dangerous. People have hit their heads and been injured badly.

MommaJ likes this.
  36. wingnuts

wingnuts Hunter/Gatherer Provider/Protector Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thanks, hope to meet the NJ gang at some point! The knee is healing really well! Feels like the knee I had when I was in my 40's! Was bummed to have missed the carving events.