Ocala area listen up.

Discussion in 'Florida' started by Usingmyrights, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I saw this browsing Instagram awhile ago. A hiker has gone MIA on the Florida Trail near Alexander Springs. I'm going to see if we can't get a photo of him as well. If your in the area, especially in the woods, please keep a look out. I'm trying to get more info now and am thinking about taking the drive down there. I'll post any updates as I find out.
    Screenshot_2017-08-15-09-33-51.png

DomC, El Duderino, SmilinJoe and 6 others like this.
  2. Tangotag

Tangotag Field Gear Junkie Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Seems logical cellular reception sucks for ATT in the Ocala National Forest and he is not done with his 3 day solo.

DomC likes this.
  3. Usingmyrights

Blog Posts:
    FL being pretty flat you can actually get reception there, but it can be spotty. It has only been a day, but for someone to be worried there must be a reason. Hopefully it is just phone issues, but it only took a minute to share just in case it is something. ONF has its predators, both 2 and 4 legged.

DomC, Vilke, Unistat76 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Tangotag

Tangotag Field Gear Junkie Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Hoping for the best too. Hopefully the guy is just experiencing some phone issues. I checked Verizon coverage map and they are weak for data and PTT features are not available. So if his notification of OK was to send out a text or email then they may just be sitting in a que ready to go. Though cell phone would go to full power in that area and battery drain would be fast.

I've been to places where my cell is 80 miles from the closest tower and it only takes a few hours for it to drain significantly once beyond cell range. Airplane mode saves battery until really needed. I've got family in Ocala and passed on the info.

Usingmyrights likes this.
  5. Usingmyrights

Blog Posts:
    I had to use airplane mode when I was in the mountains last year. Battery was half drained the first day between taking pictures and looking for a signal. Once on airplane mode it lasted another 3 and half days.

Tangotag likes this.
  6. Vilke

Vilke Guide

Blog Posts:
    This is in my back yard. Do you know was he headed north or south? I walk this area often and will keep an eye out for him. I had planned on being slightly south of there on Friday. Please update this when he is found.

Usingmyrights and Tangotag like this.
  7. Usingmyrights

Blog Posts:
    I don't know. I asked on the post I saw it on and about a picture. I'll update as I find stuff out. I'm really hoping it's just communication issues.

Tangotag likes this.
  8. Usingmyrights

Blog Posts:
    Hiker has been found. Waiting on more details, but it looks like a case of him failing to check in.

Tangotag and Swampdog like this.