1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

October Monthly Project: Carve Something Grotesque

Discussion in 'Monthly Projects' started by renter6, Oct 1, 2013.

1. renter6

renter6 Scout

Blog Posts:
    This is a suggestion for a monthly project that I've been thinking about, ever since I saw Mr. Black's grim-looking wood spirit in one of Adahy's posts earlier this summer. Scroll down a bit in Adahy's post and you'll see it; you've probably seen it before.

So here's the project: Carve something grotesque for the month of October. Post a picture in this thread and we'll have a gallery appropriate to the season.

My inspiration is wood spirits, as it seems simple to change the proportions and make one ugly and haunting, but I could see other projects working as well. To make a spoon grotesque could be an interesting challenge. Then there are pumpkins towards the end of the month, if you go for that. Gourds, also good. Could be a Halloween decoration, could be a talisman. Just make it ugly! Or spooky, or ghastly, or warty, or other-worldly, or skin-crawly. And have fun!

2. Loogaroo

Loogaroo Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Pumpkin. I'm not entirely happy with it. Will try another.
    [​IMG]

3. renter6

renter6 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Nice Loogaroo!

I'll post a pumpkin by month's end, we picked up some nice ones this past weekend. Working on something else too, either an ugly spoon or a wood spirit that's in keeping with the season...

4. renter6

renter6 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Here's the beginnings of my ugly spoon... the idea of making a spoon that is grotesque intrigues me! When you get down to it its hard to make wood ugly though. But I'll try!

This is a particularly knotty piece of Siberian elm (I think). It happens to be the piece I was sawing when I cut my finger last month, so its tasted blood.

Will post when its closer to finished, on or before the 31st!

Happy Halloween in advance folks.

[​IMG]

Because pics or it didn't happen: click to see stitches.

5. joebatterton

joebatterton Scout Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Here is the new handle I carved for a firesteel
    [​IMG]

6. renter6

renter6 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Here's my ugly lumpy spoon, finished.

It is either 1) a spoon for some bog-dwelling crone to taste her brew with (the bowl is irregular to allow for her knobby face), or ; 2) a trap for the troll who sneaks into my kitchen at night and licks all the spoons, this one is all riven and splintery and uncomfortable!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. a44mag4dave

a44mag4dave Scout

Blog Posts:
    Well renter6, you failed buddy. That spoon looks wicked, in a good way. The grain and knots make it look really cool.

8. renter6

renter6 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Foiled again! j/k, thanks man!