Ohio Potable Water

Discussion in 'Ohio' started by Jack of the Wood, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Jack of the Wood

Jack of the Wood Scout

Last weekend, I learned from the Wayne National HQ that no groundwater on any park land should be ingested, even after microfiltering to 0.2 microns. I mentioned this conversation to a friend who is a groundwater and irrigation consultant in the Athens area (he also works internationally) and he confirmed those findings. Due to decades of mining activity, heavy metal present in the water makes it non-potable.

With that in mind, how do you manage water resources on a multiple day outting in WNF?

Boondocks70, BBizy, Zornt and 2 others like this.
  2. DrJosh

DrJosh Tracker

I pretty much always/only packed it in or limited consumption however I could. Rainwater catchment always seemed okay to me too. Not that I ever ran any tests or anything.

Pretty sad how much of Ohio is tainted by mining.

3. LoneWeb

LoneWeb Tracker

I grew up drinking well water and from creeks in southern Ohio... I set off metal detectors to this day even after years of packing water in.

4. Red Wing

Red Wing Guide

Zaleski trucks in water to the campsites.

Everywhere else you cache it along your planned route in advance or pack it in with you.

There are also filters out there to take out heavy metals.

BBizy and Jack of the Wood like this.
  5. jswi2374

jswi2374 Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

I collected and drank rainwater once at WNF. It was fine but rain is unpredictable.
    I have also boiled spring water before. That was at a local park in Dayton.
    On rare occasion, I will filter and boil creek water. That is how I found out that I am allergic to oak trees (Leaves were in the water. Not a fun couple of days, let me tell you!) I'm more worried about agricultural runoff than heavy metals in my area.
    I would think that in small amounts, maybe a few days worth, the amount of metal in the water wouldn't be enough to hurt a person. I might risk it if I had to.
    Or just pack in water.
    Beer is safe, too.

BBizy, hlydon and Jack of the Wood like this.
  6. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Many times I have cached 2 liter bottles of water along routes to be used by my Scout troop.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    Jack of the Wood likes this.
  7. Lielanthris

Lielanthris Tracker

I grew up in Nelsoneville during the 90s and later in Hocking county(Near Rockbridge State Nature Preserve) I have always drank straight from the creek or Hocking river as a kid or teen. Never been sick. A couple times I even caught clams out of the river and ate them too. I still drink spring water at our family farm.

Jack of the Wood, jswi2374 and BBizy like this.
  8. WonderingWoodsman

WonderingWoodsman Scout

There is a natural spring near my uncle's house, best water I've tasted. I always fill up a couple gallon jugs when I go to his house to take home, never boiled it and haven't gotten sick in the 30 years I've been drinking it.

Jack of the Wood and jswi2374 like this.