Old bolt action shotgun ?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Knifeguy510, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Knifeguy510

Knifeguy510 Scout

Blog Posts:
    20190208_182042_Film3.jpg 20190208_182116_Film3.jpg 20190208_182101_Film3.jpg 20190208_182132_Film3.jpg 20190208_182148_Film3.jpg 20190208_182200_Film3.jpg 20190208_182244_Film3.jpg 20190208_182237_Film3.jpg 20190208_182327_Film3.jpg 20190208_182348_Film3.jpg Hi everyone . So I came across an old bolt action shot gun. I recived it for free so I figured I mabey get the rest of thebparts necessary to make her operational again . Like a project gun. I brought it to my local gun store . They had a look he ran a bore snake though the barrel and said "its almost mirror " . He said I could definatly get the parts too fix it from an online distributor of some sort I forgot the name he said . But he didnt seem too keen on telling me what exactly I would need. The gun says O.F. Mossberg & sons INC. North Haven Conn. USA model 395KA 12 gage c-lect choke chamberd for 2and 3/4 and 3" shells. Here are some photos . There is a small crackbin the stock as u will see right where the stock ends close to the barrel. And stand the but onbthe floor and grab the gun up near the end of the stock near the end of it with the barrel in your palm and push with your thumb on the barrel it moves away a bit. But they said that also would be fixable. Do you all agre it can be refurbished and that I could do the work or at least some of it? Will it be expensive or worth it ?

2. Birdman

Birdman Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've had a real nice 20 guage for sale for over a year for $100.
    They're not very sought after, even though they are great guns.

3. Winterhorse

Winterhorse Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My son has mine now. Essentially the same gun in 20ga. It killed untold numbers of rabbits and quail. Nothing fancy but I almost couldn’t miss with that gun as a kid.

central joe likes this.
  4. salty dog

salty dog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The crack is repairable. When you say the stock moves away from the barrel, do you mean it flexes or does it not seem to be attached to the action very well? Also, do you have the bolt?

5. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    SoreFeet, Paulyseggs, goon and 2 others like this.
  6. TRYKER

TRYKER Guide

Blog Posts:
    i have the same gun for 40 years, it has takin its share of white tails

7. Bigghoss

Bigghoss Guide

Blog Posts:
    In pristine condition it might be worth $125-150. I had one just like it for sale forever and ended up trading it away for random stuff. They're neat and unusual, but not valuable. That's how I ended up with 4 bolt-action shotguns at one time. Still have two left for sale locally for $100 each and nobody cares even a little. Unless it has sentimental value I probably wouldn't bother. If it does have sentimental value then you can always grab a whole gun to steal parts from.

8. x39

x39 Hyperborean Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Ugly as a mud fence, but they do work, no denying it.

9. Coyotesilencer

Coyotesilencer Scout

Blog Posts:
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    Paulyseggs and NevadaBlue like this.
  10. Swampyankee101

Swampyankee101 Scout

Blog Posts:
    They do make a nice turkey gun. A friend has one he put a peep sight on.

Winterhorse and NevadaBlue like this.
  11. Mikewood

Mikewood Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    First I would contact Mossberg and ask them for a parts diagram. Then I would look for a bolt. You might get a steal but then again it could be a couple hundred. This is a case of a nice old gun being “made safe” and then them loosing the bolt. It’s a real shame.

Winterhorse likes this.
  12. Zornt

Zornt Guide

Blog Posts:
    My Dad had one in 16 gauge, It was a wondereful shotgun. Unfortunately it got stolen along with 11 other rifles and shotguns in the late 70s.

Winterhorse likes this.
  13. Knifeguy510

Knifeguy510 Scout

Blog Posts:
    It seems as if its not attached to the stock very well . tworads where the end of the stock meets the barrel . It has no sentimental value to me . I just figured if I can get the parts and fix her up it would just be fun and interesting learning experience! As long as the parts would be cheap

Winterhorse likes this.
  14. Knifeguy510

Knifeguy510 Scout

Blog Posts:
    You guys are awsome . Thats not all the parts. I need though is it ?

Winterhorse likes this.
  15. Knifeguy510

Knifeguy510 Scout

Blog Posts:
    No sentimental value id just like to have an old gun ! I have new ones id just lime to get a simple old gun if the worked back then b4 everything got modern and complicated.

Winterhorse and Paulyseggs like this.
  16. Paulyseggs

Paulyseggs Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'd use it . Id be searching for parts as I could afford them .

Find a bolt first. You can always shoot it single shot til you come across a magazine.

I acquired a rusted shut Marlin 99m1 like that . No mag .No trigger . 5USD .
    Trigger was easy to find . Got the action working . It was a tube mag so I whitted a plug out of birch . Essentially had a self ejecting, manually operated rifle.

Used that rifle for a few years. Found a mag for it. And gave it to a guy in need.

I miss bolt action shotguns. Always carried so nice in the hand . I had a 20in ish. Marlin 12ga. I didn't appreciate what it was when I had it. I was younger and full of testosterone . Everything had to be ready for war . Probably sold it for something black and shiny .

But it was a very useful shotgun.

I like yours .

Eta . I had a Mossberg 695. It was camo. Had a smooth bore around 20-24in and took chokes .

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  17. Paulyseggs

Blog Posts:
  18. Knifeguy510

Knifeguy510 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Im gona fix her up for sure . Im very unfamilar witb the whole process though . I only got into guns 2 years ago. Always jad the interest but not the money ! It was better spent on girls and beer lol. Now im married with a kid and have bought and started shooting my first few guns. Im buying a 1911 and an Ar 15 in a couple weeks . I was gona buy a colt 1911 but I kinda need to buy the ar now I live in a sheeple state that is gona follow suit with conn mass new jersey and the others . Im sure its comming eventually.
    I was thinking of moving to a more free state like New Hampshire but idk they ade smak in the middle of all the restrictive states. So I think I may go with the rock island armory 1911 in 9 mill. My local gun store owner raves about them and he owns like 50 1911s!

TrespassersWilliam likes this.
  19. Birdman

Birdman Guide

Blog Posts:
  20. Paulyseggs

Blog Posts:
    @Knifeguy510 i had the same concerns .
    The govt has sucked the life out of a lot of things here but I refuse to let it get to me.

I do what I do .And let the chips fall where they may .

Good luck with your quest .

We like NH . Ive never been to Maine though.

TrespassersWilliam likes this.
  21. Knifeguy510

Knifeguy510 Scout

Blog Posts:
    New Hamshire is wonderfull! I have spent alot of time there my granddad bought an A frame cabin in the white mountain national forest off the saco river . not far from the coverd bridge camp ground. I went up there e or 4 times a year as a kid . I still go there now my uncle took iver the place when my grandfather was unable to take care of it anylonger. They are one of the most free states on the east coast . It just seems weird cause they are surrounded by much more restrictive states. Thank you I have found a magazine already. And possibly a bolt . it may actually cost me a bit more than just buying an operational. But I thinkbthis will be fun and my son can help then it will have sentimental value.

22. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot Guide

Blog Posts:
    40 S&W & 22 Mag fan residing in New England
    I almost lost my life to one of those...

Kinda runs a chill to even loot at or pick one up.

I kinda avoid them. I did but a 410 last spring because it was exact model I have in a 22 LR. ITS NOW A PAIR and I do like it. Need to work onnit some cause it dose t shoot to POA.

GOOD LUCK with yours!!

CW

23. Birdman

Birdman Guide

Blog Posts:
    Was the one that failed on you a Mossberg? I know Sears recalled their J.C. Higgins 12 guage bolt shotguns for that very reason. Bolts coming out the back and drilling the shooter in the head.
    That's a scary thought!

Cwlongshot likes this.
  24. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot Guide

Blog Posts:
    40 S&W & 22 Mag fan residing in New England
    That or a Marlin. But seem to remember it was a Mossberg.

CW

Birdman likes this.
  25. Kenneth

Kenneth Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I bought a J.C. Higgins bolt shotgun years ago and I have since sold it. At the time mine was a 583.10 product number and in the safe range. At the time I checked with Sears and I was told they me that a $50 gift card for the rebate offer was still good. The bolt popping out only concerned the product numbers in the quote below. I was told by a gunsmith someone took a bolt apart and did not put it back together properly causing the bolt to come out while firing it thus causing the recall. I hope this helps and

GOD Bless you and your families

Kenneth

This is from
    https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=53121&p=401425
    Quote:
    The shotguns were sold in Sears stores and through its catalog as the
    "J.C. Higgins Bolt Action 12-Gauge Model 10 Shotgun" during the 1950s. It was
    carried under a number of product numbers: 583.13, 583.14, 583.15, 583.16,
    583.17, 583.18, 583.19, 583.20, 583.21 and 583.22. The product model number
    is engraved on the barrel of the shotgun.
    Consumers are advised to immediately stop using the shotgun. Call
    800-817-9165 for identification verification and instructions on return
    procedures.

x39, Birdman and Paulyseggs like this.
  26. Bigghoss

Bigghoss Guide

Blog Posts:
    In that case a complete functional one in less than pristine condition is about $75-100. Check pawn shops (be careful because they're often overpriced) the used sections of gun stores, and armslist.

27. salty dog

salty dog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You'll have to find out why it's loose. Might just be the last guy took the stock off to repair it and left it loose or trapped something between the stock and the receiver. Or it could be worse.

But as others have said, if you will have to spend $100 replacing the bolt and other parts, why not just get a working one for the same price? To me, fiddling with something like that is fun, so that might be all the reason you need, your call.

Birdman and Cwlongshot like this.
  28. NVSeabee

NVSeabee Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Gunbroker is good for finding parts as well.

29. Knifeguy510

Knifeguy510 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Ill prob do both mabey find a nice 20 gage for my son and fix this one for me.

salty dog likes this.
  30. TrespassersWilliam

TrespassersWilliam Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:

NH is uniquely great. Revolution against tyrannical government is THE LAW here.

However, Northern New England (VT/NH/ME) as a whole has different cultural values than MA/RI/CT/NY/NJ.

Lots of back-to-the-land old hippies, fifth-generation Acadians, recent Quebecois tax refugees, and redneck Scots-Irish that don't care much for social progressive puritanism.

Birdman and Paulyseggs like this.
  31. Daveboone

Daveboone Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Not hing I enjoy more than finding an old firearm and resurrecting it ….but....
    sometimes (and I am not saying this is the case)...it isn't worth the effort. For the cost of the used parts, you can probably , almost certainly find one in shooting shape. A used bolt off Ebay doesn't guarantee the bolt will be in firing condition, or work due to wear and tear on the receiver, trigger/sear engagement, etc. If you want to put the money into it just for the fun of the project (which is what I frequently do) it would be doable. If you are looking to get an inexpensive shotgun...pass, with a little shopping you wont have any trouble finding plenty of old bolt action/ single shot shotguns cheap.
    A few years ago I had the hots for a lever actuated breaktop shotgun, to leave at the camp. That years fall gun show gave me literally dozens to choose from, in shooting condition. I ended up with two :a very cool 20 gauge single shot coach gun, and a 410 single. Both savages. Just a little bit of oil and I was ready to go. both went for around 80 bucks (each).

Birdman and Cwlongshot like this.
  32. SoreFeet

SoreFeet Scout

Blog Posts:
    I found this YouTube video on a guy working on a similar model. It may be of interest to you.

Kenneth likes this.
  33. Knifeguy510

Knifeguy510 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have been thinking about that from the looks of it it will cost me more that buying one thats in working condition. I think it would be fun to do but the main reason would really be to have a funtional gun on the cheap ! Newer ones the ultimately do the same thing.

Paulyseggs likes this.
  34. Coyotesilencer

Coyotesilencer Scout

Blog Posts:
    As far as the loose stock, it would be an easy one to learn bedding on. If it's just loose stock fitment than a little epoxy and shoe polish would fix it up. Or the action pillar/block that the action bolt screws into might need staked into its dovetail or something like that.

I would hold onto it and keep an eye out for deals on a magazine and parts. You can stumble across things at gun stores or pawn shops and search eBay and gunbroker.

35. Kenneth

Kenneth Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I went back to a pawn shop today. I saw one these last week. It is a Mossberg 395KA, they want $200 for it and I told them that I will wait for it to come down. It does look in great shape but I think it is over priced. They also had a Mossberg 410 bolt action for months going got $200 but today I see that it was gone I guess someone was willing to pay $200 for it.

GOD Bless you and your families

Kenneth

36. Knifeguy510

Knifeguy510 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I will definitely hold on to it no matter what I decide . I hold on to everthing ! Lol My wife say I have too much stuff though.

Kenneth likes this.
  37. tree-ratsniper

tree-ratsniper Guide

Blog Posts:
    We have one in the family somewhere, might be in my Dad's safe, I think it was a Mossy. I good friend of mine uses one in a 410 as his rabbit gun, every time he gets a critter with it he sends me a pic that "the antique did it again."

38. Birdman

Birdman Guide

Blog Posts:
    If I found an old tube fed .410 bolt, I'd snatch it in a heartbeat.

Cwlongshot likes this.
  39. southron

southron Guide

Blog Posts:

I"ve seen a couple worked over into deer hunting slug guns.

Shot a couple. Seems the magazines come up missing a lot of the time. Last time I looked the magazines that could be found were kinda pricy for a shotgun that used to sell for very little and still has pretty low demand.

If you restore it, decide you aim to keep it.

Maybe if you could put a rifled slug barrel and drill and tap it for a scope n sabot slugs ya might find some hunters in places that aren't free enough to allow men to use a rifle to hunt deer with ya might sell it.

Or just turn it into a nice woods loafing gun. Maybe shorten the barrel, get a magazine, add sling swivels and maybe a bit of careful sanding / refinishing to get it into shape for your wants and needs.

Or use it for what it was made for: goose or maybe turkey.

40. Knifeguy510

Knifeguy510 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I happen to live in one of those states! We can not hunt with rifles here in Rhode Island ! Too small the shot would travel clean through to Massachusetts! Lol

Cwlongshot likes this.
  41. Knifeguy510

Knifeguy510 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I saw a Ivar Jhonson 16 gage at my local gun store last night for 89 dollars. Idk what it is I just love old guns

42. Doomsword

Doomsword Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I inherited a J.C. Higgins, tube-mag in 16 gage (the perfect gage for a shotgun BTW). It did not have a recall number. Uncle Herb had bobbed the barrel back to the Imp Cyl mark and used it to tote around on his tractor with season-appropriate loads on board. He never replaced the bead or installed any kind of sights but he seemed to do okay; we ate a lot of quail, rabbit, and squirrel. I need to put rifle sights on it but I actually carry it on a lot of float trips. It carries plenty of shot to handle a threatening snake (which in 65 years ain’t ever happened) or to take a bird, rabbit, or squirrel. During some seasons I might slip a slug in but that would be virtually never since I would take something else more specialized.

It is a foraging gun, plain and simple and that it is a B/A makes it even more so. The Sweet Sixteen is really the perfect gage - a pound of lead will give you a pound of 1 ounce round balls or 16 one ounce loads. Even my simple mind can comprehend the concept. It is a darn shame that it fell out of favor playing the “Tweener” role betwixt 12ga and 20.

I like the old B/A smoothbores. I have feelers out for one in 12ga, 20ga, and .410 cal. Shells for 12ga and 20ga are dirt-cheap so would like one for that reason. I have the 16ga (no cheap shells there) and already have a .410 M6 Springfield but would still like a .410 in the bolt flavor.

Although it is foolish and mostly due to other folks’ optics or perceptions, I carry the old J.C. Higgins 16ga in my camper rather than an 870 or Mod 12 or the coach gun. Outside of it being a “generic gun” it does not have any crazy, evil interpretations or connotations. It certainly would not be a weapon for offense and certainly ain’t a riot gun or even seen as an alley broom or street sweeper. It is seen as benign as a firearm can be seen by those poor folks who do not have a clue.

Serious about having feelers out for other B/A shotguns. If you are in the kinda close area of The Hub of All of Creation and have a 12, 20ga, or .410 bolt shotgun for sale, please let me know.

John

Kenneth likes this.
  43. Bigghoss

Bigghoss Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've come across a couple of those. I think they were both Stevens or Savage but I really can't recall other than they were both the same model pretty much. Had a loading port at the end of the tube like the Henry's or most .22's.

Kenneth and Birdman like this.