old town acadia 17 royalex

Discussion in 'Paddling' started by chansta, Jul 7, 2019.

1. chansta

chansta keeper of the flame Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I found one for sale for 250...

I can see the paint on the hull is worn off on one end, but for an old town royalex this looks like a steal! Any other info on this boat from the more experienced?

2. chansta

Blog Posts:
    Screenshot 2019-07-07 at 8.30.58 PM.png Screenshot 2019-07-07 at 8.30.06 PM.png Screenshot 2019-07-07 at 8.30.34 PM.png Screenshot 2019-07-07 at 8.30.06 PM.png

RavenLoon likes this.
  3. FreeMe

FreeMe Guide

Blog Posts:
    The Acadia is royalex, and that "paint" that is worn off is probably the outer vinyl layer. Somebody must have had a habit of running the stems on and off the shore or dragging it. That needs to be repaired, but it's not a difficult repair. We covered that here recently in another thread.

$250 is not a bad price it it's in otherwise very good shape. Me being me, I would try to use that needed repair to knock another $50 off, but I'd still buy it if he declines.

WisconsinEric likes this.
  4. Luchtaine

Luchtaine MOA #22 Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    Told ya you could find one if you’re patient! Now go grab her, giver her a little TLC and love your new boat!!

WisconsinEric likes this.
  5. Luchtaine

Blog Posts:
    I will add that royalex hulls aren’t painted. The color is in the material itself. They may have painted the ends to cover scratches. They make skid kits you can put on though to help with that. Also the bottom appears a little “chalky”. This is what happens to royalex as it’s exposed to UV sunlight over time. Exposed long enough UV can ruin royalex. Good news is that protecting it is as easy as buying some UV protectant automotive interior/exterior spray at the automotive store. 303 is a popular brand. Just spray it on and wipe it down a few times a year and you’re good to go.

6. chansta

Blog Posts:
    The only specs I could find for this listed it over 80 pounds? Hmmm

7. mjh

mjh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Personally I think it's a pretty big canoe to be handling solo. I'd opt for something in the 15 to 16 ft range and lighter if planning more solo travel and you've got room for one more when you need it.

chansta likes this.
  8. chansta

Blog Posts:
    I have a very easy time tracking in the mad River 16 foot passage. I do notice a difference when it has a bit of weight added to it.

9. FreeMe

FreeMe Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, paddling that solo with a light load will make you highly vulnerable to wind, and possibly not very nimble (I don't know how much rocker it has). But under the right conditions, it should be okay. Learn to pole it from standing. That makes a world of difference in the amount of control you have for maneuvering and bucking the wind.

BTW - another Acadia just popped up on CL not far from here. No photos of the stems, but the asking price is $399. FYI.

10. Luchtaine

Blog Posts:
    You could do a little work and clean it up and probably turn it around for a profit towards a little better fit canoe for you. Up here though if you hadn’t bought it yet it probably would be sold by now.

A royalex Penobscot 15 or 16 would be ideal. That’s the boat I’d like. Just had to pass one up at $500 because I couldn’t turn mine around and sell fast enough to grab it.

11. chansta

Blog Posts:
    she sold. I emailed old town to ask about the specs and this is 84 lbs anyway.