Olight I3E EOS AAA Flashlight =Value

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Wasp, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Midwest.Bushlore

Midwest.Bushlore Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Cool, thanks! I really love the light, very simple and little to go wrong with it.

2. Wasp

Wasp We are GO for Sting! Supporter

Blog Posts:
    20180313_004651.jpg

Olight i3e EOS Test:

Light- Olight i3e EOS (well used)
    Color- Silver
    Battery- Energizer Ultimate Lithium AAA (New)
    Lumens- 100-120 (approximately)

This test was done using my 3 year old Olight i3e EOS that has been on my keychain in my pocket.

My method was simple, I planned to install the battery for a simple run time test. Factory claims run times are 45-70 minutes using Alkaline and NiMh respectively. Off the shelf Lithium can be used.
    Warning- do not use 3.7v AAA batteries as they may ruin your light or cause injury.

20180313_020014.jpg

I use off the shelf Lithium batteries as they not only seem to run brighter but have a longer run time. It is important to note that I generally dont run my AAA lights longer than about 15 minutes simply because I dont need them longer that that---usually. That doesn't mean you cant or shouldn't, its fine to run it until it won't put out anymore.

Continued....​

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    Midwest.Bushlore likes this.
  3. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    I started the timer on my watch to keep track of the run time.

For the sake of getting a measurable and recognizable image I put a pair of running shoes at fifteen feet in my driveway. If they look closer its because I slightly cropped some photos so the whole image would be approximately the same size overall. All photos are taken from the ssme distance/spot. Sorry my phone is grainy at night.

This was how bright it was when I started.
    20180313_002931.jpg

The light never showed any dimming for 1:15 (1H 15M) and literally before 1:16 it started to shimmer (not flicker) to a dimmer state than before. Still very ussble amount of light! I know it may not look very impressive after dimming, but in person it was still adequate for safely moving around or finding your way or something you lost, reading, etc. no problem.

●At 1:25 (1H 25M)
    Olight 1.jpg
    Olight 2.jpg

This light did not dim any noticeable amount for a very long time. I took pictures of watch and shoes every five minutes.

●At 1:45 (1H 45M)
    Olight 3.jpg
    Olight 4.jpg

●At 1:55 (1H 55M)

I noticed a slightly dimmer, yet again still very usable amount of light.
    Olight 5.jpg
    Olight 6.jpg

●At 2:15 (2H 15M)

Exactly one hour after its initial dimming from its brightest point the light was again noticably dimmer. Although I could still make out details of the shoes and things within twenty five feet, but my camera was so grainy I decided and indoor shot would show better detail. This is a picture of my sketchbook with the light from 3' (3 feet) away. You could still easily accomplish tasks and find your way around the dark house, etc.
    Olight 7.jpg
    Olight 8.jpg

●At the 2:35 minute mark I decided to call it quits because...well I was getting worn out with it all. At that time I still couldn't tell any difference in brighness from the last time I took the above picture.

Important to note- at the 35/40 minute mark the flashlight was pretty hot. Thats not uncommon. I wouldn't want to hold it in my hands firmly, but it wasn't bad moving it in my fingers. On a keychain or small cord it would be a non issue.
    At the 1:15 minute mark when it dimmed, it also cooled to room temperature as it continued trucking right along.

Was this because I used lithium batteries? Maybe since I feel I can tell a brightness difference. Would it keep me from using them? No, like I said, its rare to need a flashlight that long, and if you did then you need to so....

Conclusion:
    The Olighti3e EOS is a $10-13 AAA flashlight. It comes with a battery in the package. If you order from Amazon, Edison Bright seller, they include a second battery. So one light, two batteries for change from your couch.

They are quality, attractive, bright, clear, handy, and run for at least one hour and fifteen minutes of bright light and at least an additional hour and twenty minutes of usable light after that on a single AAA lithium over the counter battery.

If that's not a deal, I don't know what is.

Chris

45jack and Midwest.Bushlore like this.
  4. Zunga

Zunga Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Oh lord this is killing me! Mine got to my mailing address last week along with other Amazon toys. I won't get it till next week. So close, but yet so far!

5. Midwest.Bushlore

Blog Posts:
    Wow, awesome tests! Thank you! I do have Eneloops but I don't use them in lights as I like the all-weather power of lithium primaries. But a 900 mAh Eneloop runs quite a while I see! Like you I rarely use a light for long periods, at least not a small one light the Olight. Generally I use that one in bursts of a few minutes to unlock doors, find things dropped in the dark, etc. My larger lights get more extended use sometimes for night hikes, wood gathering/procession, vehicle maintenance like changing a tire, etc.

Zunga likes this.
  6. Zunga

Blog Posts:
    Hey buddy! Just saw the lanyard. Looks like a paracord core. What is the finer gauge overwrap if I might ask? :dblthumb:

Wasp likes this.
  7. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    I just started using enloops and enloop pros in everything. That doesn't mean I will totally quit using lithium OTC batteries, but they will save me a lot of money and last for years. I hate having a light on me and not knowing how much power I have left after a few uses. Rechargable means I always have a full battery in my lights without keeping numerous half used batteries in a battery keeper. I hate that.

If anyone reads this, go look at enloops charged shelf life. Its like 80% after one year and 70% after ten years....of sitting. Thats superior to over the counter non rechargeable batteries. And the batteries and charger aren't that expensive.

Midwest.Bushlore and 45jack like this.
  8. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    Its a two color snake knot with a diamond knot on top.

Zunga likes this.
  9. Midwest.Bushlore

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, Eneloops are great. I have a bunch of the AA's, looks like maybe I should get some AAA's as well. The main draw of lithium batteries, performance in the cold, isn't a big deal for my Olight since it's always either sitting by my computer at home or in my pants pocket.

Wasp and Zunga like this.
  10. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    My Enloop AA charger also charges AAA batteries on the same charger. An enloop charger with 4AA batteries was $22, four AAA are only $11. The charger is super small and has a folding plug.

11. diamondm

diamondm Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    We LOVE our new handy lights - going to order more for other keychains and now I have a friend who wants some.

Thanks for sharing these to us! Mine is in my pocket. :)

Wasp and 45jack like this.
  12. wizard

wizard Guide

Blog Posts:
    Cool test and you caught some rare images of the invisible man in his running shoes :)

Wasp likes this.
  13. 45jack

45jack Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Is there any difference between eneloop batteries and any other NiMh battery?

14. Zunga

Blog Posts:
    Ok folks I got my Olight today. Been itching for dark to test in the yard. Holy cow. I have a generic energizer led, uses three AAA's. Not even in the same league! The Olight lit up the yard like a spot light! What blew me away is how far it throws light. The cheapo mini lights are good for 5 ft in front of you. This was 100 yards plus! That's on the battery it came with! Get one these are awesome!
    Cheers Jim

45jack and Wasp like this.
  15. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    I told ya it was awesome. Glad it met your expectations. Enjoy it.

Go order another one. :)

Zunga likes this.
  16. Zunga

Blog Posts:
    Payday is Wednesday. I will and the Panasonic batteries. :dblthumb:

Wasp likes this.
  17. Woods Walker

Woods Walker Rattlesnake Charmer. Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I have that and the I3S. Someplace I have a photo of it being taken out of the washing machine after leaving the keys in my pocket. Accidentally washed it and no problem. Also dropped it a bunch of times with the keys. No problem. Odds are the my E01 is more durable but this is even smaller. I will take a pic of mine later.

Midwest.Bushlore and Wasp like this.
  18. Zunga

Blog Posts:
    Hey all I bought this match case to bump up to free shipping on Amazon ($3). Turns out it fits this flashlight perfectly. I bought for a little dry storage and a decent whistle which is loud. I bought a proper compass in the same order. It and the one on the case matched. The link is Amazon Canada the company is ust if it doesn't load.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B00HB0UATI?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd
    41yVDuXTdfL._SY400_.jpg Cheers Jim

45jack, Midwest.Bushlore and Wasp like this.
  19. 45jack

Blog Posts:
    My flashlight addiction is exceeded only by my knife addiction.
    These truly are a lot of bang for the buck, and if there is a better value out there I don't yet know what it is.

Midwest.Bushlore, Wasp and Zunga like this.
  20. Zunga

Blog Posts:
    I should have listened to @Wasp and bought a bunch of them. This one found a home in my edc kit. I want one for my pocket. As well as stashed here and there. I didn't break my knife addiction. I shifted the focus to tools. Still shiny bits of metal. I scored a belt grinder, scroll saw, hand sander and a ton of hand tools for $60 in a moving sale. The belt sander lets me make my own knives. Ive got a stainless steel bottle opener branded with a local beer company. It's a bit of a gag. But that's going to be a fish and bird knife with bottle opener LOL
    Cheers Jim

Midwest.Bushlore and Wasp like this.
  21. 45jack

Blog Posts:
    They make great stocking stuffers...
    My nieces and nephews always expected a SAK or flashlight from Uncle Jack.

Wasp and Zunga like this.
  22. Zunga

Blog Posts:
    Sak's and flashlights huh! I Could use a uncle! Just saying! ROFL ;)

Wasp likes this.
  23. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    This awesome AAA now comes in solid Copper for only $20. Pretty cool. As its solid copper it should patina nicely.

[​IMG]
    Google photo

Last edited: May 13, 2018
    Zunga likes this.
  24. Zunga

Blog Posts:
    I found this keeps the light handy while out of your way. I clip to the belt loop center back. Run it around and thru the next loop at my side. It can hang or stuff in my forward pocket. The sliding loops let me pull and gain length. So i dont generally need to unclip it.
    Cheers Jim
    20180513_175622.jpg

Wasp likes this.
  25. that_guy

that_guy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Anyone put lightweight loctite on their threads? Mine has unscrewed itself in my pocket several times and I’ve come close to losing the LED end.

26. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    In years of carrying it its come off three times that I remember. You are probably unscrewing it too much. I General unscrew it a little past off.

There is some kind of grease people use to keep suppressors on their guns you could try if you wanted. I cant remember what its called

27. Midwest.Bushlore

Blog Posts:
    I had that happen to my old Fenix E01 once but never with any of my Olights.

Wasp likes this.