One of those days...

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Gathering' started by ozarkhunter, Jul 17, 2017.

1. ozarkhunter

ozarkhunter Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    Yesterday I went to check a trail camera that I set up under a feeder before we left for a week out of town. Once I found that a sounder of 10 hogs had been hitting the site for the past 2 nights, I decided to drive the 45 minutes back to the house to get my ladder stand and set it up in the woods. I got back and assembled my 12' stand and stood it against the tree I had picked out 40 yards from my feeder. I wrapped my safety straps around the tree and anchored back to my stand. I attached the "dead leg" between my ladder and the tree. I then climbed up to attach my ratchet straps. I got the ratchet strap attached and sat down. I noticed the seat was at a bit of a downward angle and the ladder looked a bit bowed. The only way to adjust this is to take the ratchet back off of the tree... which I did. The seat portion of the stand began to shift and everything went into slow motion. The safety straps around the tree kept the legs from completely flying out from under it, but the top ladder section continued to bend just below the seat/stand section. I had the presence of mind to think "I'm getting ready to become a statistic" as I envisioned what part of my body would hit first. I could see one of the ladder legs come out of the ground as the stand now tilted onto one ladder leg, as the seat section continued to bend backwards. The bent dead cedar on the far side of the stand, coupled with the safety straps turned the potential final ride into a slow elevator. At one point the bending actually stopped, which allowed me to get my legs into a position that was much less compromising. At that point I was able to drop free the final 2'-3' to the ground, landing squarely on my feet. The only "injury" I sustained was a light case of "bark rash" on the inside of my left elbow/bicep area. After the adrenaline rush slowed, I decided to pull the ladder apart. Where the top ladder section inserted into the stand coupling was bent like a candy cane. I was able to bend it back a bit and pound it out of the socket/coupling. I then took that top section off of the rest of the ladder and re-attached the shortened ladder to the rest of the stand. I now have an 8' ladder stand instead of a 12' ladder stand.
    20170716_153345.jpg
    While some would likely lecture me on what I should have done differently, I just look at this picture and the light abrasion on my arm and know that God was watching out for me. This could have turned out much worse.

2. jasam

jasam Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'll take the blessing and covering of my Father over luck and skill anyway. Glad you're not seriously injured

3. Kona9

Kona9 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Not liking the damage, but the result that you are ok and that you are appreciative of what really could have been the end result. You can always replace stuff like that.

4. ozarkhunter

ozarkhunter Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    The stand got re-positioned on the same tree... just shorter. Shooting lane had to be modified to fit the new stand height. Hoping to see pigs "fall down" there this Friday PM.

5. Mitch Ray

Mitch Ray Scout

Blog Posts:
  6. central joe

central joe Guide

Blog Posts:
    Glad you are ok, stand can be replaced, life not so. joe

7. Donald Devall

Donald Devall Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Yikes. I've had some episodes with ladder stands but nothing like that. Good job not dying!

CivilizationDropout likes this.
  8. Soilman

Soilman Scout

Blog Posts:
    You gotta be REAL careful putting up ladder stands by yourself. If at all possible, I like to have a partner with me to hold the ladder...but that isn't always possible. Here's what I do that might be of help to do it safer. I always try to stomp the legs into the ground as far as I can after getting the stand up to the tree. I then engage the bar brace between the ladder rungs and the tree as close to mid way of the ladder as I can reach. I then use a ratchet strap at the same level as the brace, from the ladder, around the tree and back to the ladder and ratchet it tight. I then EASE my way up the stand, to where I can wrap one arm around the tree trunk and reach a second ratchet strap that is already hooked to one back corner of the stand. I then engage that strap around the tree.

9. BayRat91

BayRat91 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Glad your alright. Take the frustration out on the pigs and am sure all will be forgotten.

10. CivilizationDropout

CivilizationDropout -MOA #17-MYOG #71- Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Metal bends and wood breaks, I'm just happy it wasn't joints and bones.

Careful out there bud, a pig my be fun but it's worth it to be safe too.

11. Timex

Timex Scout

Blog Posts:
    Glad you are ok.