1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

One step closer...

Discussion in 'Self-made Gear' started by WY_Not, Jan 4, 2017.

1. WY_Not

WY_Not Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Got an anvil for Christmas! Have not had time to take any pictures or even unband it from the pallet. About 150 lb.

I've got all the pieces except for a burner (or two) for a fire brick forge. Going to base the build off the fire brick forge on Zoeller Forge website (firebrickforge). Have enough bricks to make it big enough for two burners. Also not sure if I'll leave them perpendicular as shown on the site or angle them a bit to mix the heat up a little.

Any suggestion regarding burner position, forge build, or burner source would be a great help. I've been doing lots of reading and research on various burners as well as on how to build them. Would much prefer simply buying an assembled burner over trying to cobble one together. Can build one down the road once I become much more familiar with what I actually need. Right now I'm looking for an efficient atmospheric burner so I can start pounding on metal in the garage rather than waiting and going to open forge night at the local club.

Unistat76, Broke, grizz78 and 3 others like this.
  2. WY_Not

Blog Posts:
    Wow, no replies? :(

Anyway, got some feedback on another site regarding the angle of the burner. Small chamber plus shape pretty much means that angle or no angle won't make much difference; there will be hot spots and cool spots. That is just the nature of the beast with cheap forges. Now I just need a couple of burners. With the holidays over hopefully I'll be able to catch my breath this weekend and give the anvil a more thorough going over and maybe get some work done on assembling the forge and getting a bit of woods time with the hollow handle knife that I was lucky enough to win in a GAW that @IAOutdoors put on.

feellnfroggy likes this.
  3. WY_Not

Blog Posts:
    Ok. Just ordered (2) Atlas 30k burners w/ hoses and regulators.

grizz78 likes this.
  4. highlander

highlander Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm sorry no one replied. I honestly know nothing about gas forges. If you're ever in the mood to build a coal forge then I could help.

WY_Not likes this.
  5. WY_Not

Blog Posts:
    hehe NP. Not really a bushcrafty type of thread. I was like a kid in a candy store when parents took me out to the barn and showed me my Christmas present. Just had to share; hence this thread. I've got so many pictures and ideas stacked up. There are a TON of bushcraft items that can be made with a forge and anvil. Pretty much driving myself crazy chomping at the bit to get some free time out of the office to get things set up in my garage.

Been using coal forges during open forge sessions at the local club, Southern Ohio Forge and Anvil (SOFA). Joined the club this time last year and took the blacksmith basics class. REALLY enjoyed it. Enjoy using the coal forges but currently don't have a place to put one. Garage is attached to the house and when I get around to doing a coal forge it will have to be in a separate building. It is a three car garage but it is pretty full already; normal workshop area, reloading bench, canning area back in one corner, a brooding area in another area for chicks each spring, and storage of lawn tractor and other stuff. Worst of all, no room for even a single car in it. LOL! I really need a small barn.

highlander and pgun1267 like this.
  6. WY_Not

Blog Posts:
    Talk about some quick service. Ordered the two burners on Friday. Tracking said they were shipped on Saturday. They arrived on Monday. Iowa to Ohio and it was just normal shipping, not next day air. :dblthumb:

Should be warmer this weekend than last. Hoping I will be able to get into the garage to do some assembly work now that I have all the pieces. :51: Between the single digit temps outside and in the garage and the DW being sick, I got NOTHING done this past weekend. :(

highlander likes this.